Author Topic: Malmesbury Mash  (Read 12539 times)

Re: Malmesbury Mash
« Reply #50 on: 06 February, 2009, 05:32:38 pm »
hi all,
i am entered into this.  today at work ,where theres no snow i had convinced myself to ride.
but now reading everybody elses post ,i`m having second thoughts again.  hate being indecisive and it would be much easier ,if the organiser or auk just said ,its off.   on a second note ,quite often hear on the travel reports ,that the severn bridge is closed ,normally through wind speed,  but do they close the cycle path as well?  just out of interest really.

« Reply #51 on: 06 February, 2009, 05:41:39 pm »
hi all,
i am entered into this.  today at work ,where theres no snow i had convinced myself to ride.
but now reading everybody elses post ,i`m having second thoughts again.  hate being indecisive and it would be much easier ,if the organiser or auk just said ,its off.   on a second note ,quite often hear on the travel reports ,that the severn bridge is closed ,normally through wind speed,  but do they close the cycle path as well?  just out of interest really.

AUK still believes in individual responsibility.

Regarding the bridge, I expect you'd be safer crossing on the windward side, and even safer going round the long way.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #52 on: 06 February, 2009, 06:00:53 pm »
Snow has melted in Bath, so I will probably prepare the bike anyway in case it is not too bad tomorrow morning.
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #53 on: 06 February, 2009, 07:06:59 pm »
Ok, an update.

The route passes within 8 miles of here.  The A roads are fairly clear, anything else most definitely isn't.  The roads that aren't totally clear are now a mixture of thick compacted snow, and snow.... however it is now hard and crunchy.  I think the roads will be pretty lethal tomorrow whether on foot, bike or car. I predict serious ice. Remember that your safety is in the hands of other road users as well.

Good luck to those of you that do ride, but there is no way I am going to.

« Reply #54 on: 06 February, 2009, 07:09:44 pm »
Tidy.

Those of you who do venture out, please remember to take plenty of pictures so that those of us who are nice and warm indoors (or spinning away on a turbo!) can see what we missed!

All the best and good luck  :thumbsup:
Iawn, cont? It's a 67.4" by the way.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #55 on: 06 February, 2009, 07:47:01 pm »
Came back from work and snow hasn't melted in Bristol, I have just changed my mind. Life is already short enough!
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #56 on: 06 February, 2009, 09:58:17 pm »
Update on the road conditions:

I am at work in South Gloucestershire at the moment and we have carried out a recce of the section around Hawkesbury where I remember the route going.  The lanes are ice-covered at present (20 minutes ago) and like a rough skating rink.  We had to resort to a grit bin to get the 4x4 out, we would still be there otherwise.  Riding conditions in this area are undoubtedly dangerous.

There is an alternative route, and going Aust - Alveston - Rudgeway - Iron Acton - Chipping Sodbury - Luckington - Sherston - Malmesbury is passable, but not great, with some slush, particulalry along the edge of the roads.  They are well-used roads too, and wouldn't be much fun at all.

South Glos Council have stated they are only gritting selected main roads tonight.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #57 on: 06 February, 2009, 11:22:03 pm »
Very, very, very crunchy out there in Gloucestershire just now.
It is simpler than it looks.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #58 on: 07 February, 2009, 09:05:39 am »
and it reached -4C in our town, so a few degrees colder in rural areas.
It is simpler than it looks.

ludwig

• never eat a cyclists gloves
    • grown in wales
« Reply #59 on: 08 February, 2009, 07:22:37 am »
Well it was tough in the driving snow and hail and ice but I only fell off three times and bravely fought on to finish in eight and a half hours which was pretty poor but you know in these conditions what can you say.

Not really. I had a lie in and then walked in to town for a sauna and then a big roast dinner and watched Dr Strangelove under a duvet.

« Reply #60 on: 08 February, 2009, 07:55:59 am »
...and what was 'Dr Strangelove' doing to you, under that duvet?

« Reply #61 on: 08 February, 2009, 12:06:52 pm »
Quality Friendly Hotel boarded up.

Why's that? Has it shut down?

Good write up and pictures - looked like a good ride  :thumbsup:

As for me, I wouldn't have been able to make it out of my estate Saturday morning due to the fresh snow  :o

« Reply #62 on: 08 February, 2009, 12:22:15 pm »

Looks like they've gone into administration  :(

Hotels shut as chain suffers

« Reply #63 on: 08 February, 2009, 12:25:06 pm »
Quality Friendly Hotel boarded up.

Good write up and pictures - looked like a good ride  :thumbsup:

As for me, I wouldn't have been able to make it out of my estate Saturday morning due to the fresh snow  :o

Nice one Toby  :thumbsup:, at 05:00 yesterday (drive start time from Tewkesbury) the car wouldn't get off the driveway :o.

If the Q F Hotel has gone under, that makes it interesting for rides starting from there during 2009.

I don't know John said he had rung them about a week or so ago to confirm and nothing was said so maybe even the staff didn't know it was coming.  ???
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

daflloyd

« Reply #64 on: 09 February, 2009, 01:11:41 pm »
Well done Toby and Ian - your intrepidness is humbling.

My wife was unwell, and so my Chepstow and back plan was replaced by childcare (much to my relief!!)

Regarding the start point - there is a slightly snazzier hotel (The Village Hotel) on the same Motorway junction - not sure how it links into the cycle lane network which services the junction, but that should keep all the routes at the correct distances.

« Reply #65 on: 09 February, 2009, 01:45:27 pm »
Well done Toby and Ian - your intrepidness is humbling.

My wife was unwell, and so my Chepstow and back plan was replaced by childcare (much to my relief!!)

Regarding the start point - there is a slightly snazzier hotel (The Village Hotel) on the same Motorway junction - not sure how it links into the cycle lane network which services the junction, but that should keep all the routes at the correct distances.

Thanks Daf,
But the ride was fine and was easier that the Dr Fosters (my 1st Audax). It was warmer: there was no hidden ice; dark rocky muddy lanes and no punctures.
Luckily we could cycle to the start and work out a suitable route as we went along. Thanks Toby for the GPS instructions.

I agree that The Village Hotel might be a good alternative. It has a public bar with food. It links very easily with the cycle network that crosses the junction.