Author Topic: Up the uts - 14 March  (Read 12369 times)

Re: Up the uts - 14 March
« Reply #50 on: 15 March, 2009, 08:52:45 pm »
Did last loop with Peter and after the last info there was still enough of a taol breeze to drive us almost all the way through the last 20K. 

Ah.   It was me that rode with you on and off (actually mostly off) for the last loop.

Rob

It's funny how you can cover vast distances on an audax within 50m of someone but never really say hello...

What was on the ipod?

Liam

« Reply #51 on: 15 March, 2009, 09:18:32 pm »
A good ride - dry, always a good start - but I found the wind bl**dy irritating and combined with a bit of an "off" day, legswise, suffered rather more than usual. Got there good and early, so a leisurely preparation. Chatted with Arabella, Peter T., Annie and others (names unknown) before the off. Let the fast bunch go (no choice really!) and teamed up with Mick and Matt Cant, Jane S., Lucy, Dick and a couple of others. Stayed with them as far as the turn towards Wickham St. Paul where I stopped for a comfort break and never got back on, finally giving up when the rear tyre went soft. Rolled into Stisted and stopped for tea and cakes with Mick, Matt and Jane. Matt was on on 81" fixed and contemplating the headwind back to Henham sensibly decided to save his knees for another day! Mick and Jane towed me out of Stisted and Bocking but into the wind up the long drag through Panfield and Jasper's Green I gradually lost touch with them; and then the rear tyre flatted again.

Flogged on back to the HQ, spotting Wowbagger and another (DeltheBike?) enjoying the tailwind across Andrews Airfield. Got caught by a speeding toontra, who paused briefly to check the answer to the Stebbing Green info before racing off into the distance. After apple pie and custard at the HQ, set off into the bl**dy wind again. Also came to an unnecessary halt alongside some other riders, to look for the answer to the Chrishall info question before I realised we were in Elmdon and they were doing the 100k! Regaining the HQ after the second loop, Mick and Jane kindly paused for an extra five minutes for me to latch on and I then enjoyed having my legs ripped off again all the way around Furneaux Pelham and Great Hormead until we finally made Great Chishall after which my surplus avoirdupois came into its own and we tanked down the hill all the way home, pausing only to switch on the illuminations.

Still a good route, through pleasant country, although I didn't appreciate the extra kilometres at the time. No doubt I'll be back for more next year!

« Reply #52 on: 16 March, 2009, 12:32:04 pm »
Belated report from me, (haven't been near a 'puter Since Friday).
We whimped out of the 150/200K to concentrate on the 100K (that was enough for me at this time of the year).
Me and my Avanti clubmate didn't arrive until the 200k'ers were long gone and left for home before the 150K and 200K riders got back, so didn't get a chance to meet any YACF'ers.
Organisation and warmth of reception was great, the volunteers running the kitchen were stars!
The lack of hedgerows in Essex caused us some grief during the middle of the ride, exposing us to the full force of the cold westerly headwind.
This was my first ever Audax, and I learn't a few things from it (like keeping the route sheet and card in a polythene bag in your back pocket is a PITA). Oh, and when you see riders in the group you are following- writing in the card in advance - don't expect them to stop at information controls. Otherwise you'll have to backtrack a mile or so for the information and loose your tow.
I did enjoy the event and look forward to doing another one. Now I'm off to Google one of the those little plastic route sheet holders that everyone seems to have on their handlebar extension.

Tiger

« Reply #53 on: 16 March, 2009, 01:33:10 pm »

I then enjoyed having my legs ripped off again all the way around Furneaux Pelham and Great Hormead until we finally made Great Chishall after which my surplus avoirdupois came into its own and we tanked down the hill all the way home, pausing only to switch on the illuminations.

Was that the Solidlight upgrade I sent you? works?

« Reply #54 on: 16 March, 2009, 02:04:41 pm »
. . . Now I'm off to Google one of the those little plastic route sheet holders that everyone seems to have on their handlebar extension.

Err! Having a bit of a problem trying to source one of these. Anyone got a link?

Rob

« Reply #55 on: 16 March, 2009, 02:12:25 pm »
What was on the ipod?

Starsailor followed by Elbow.   Rounded the day off nicely.

Rob

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #56 on: 16 March, 2009, 05:09:22 pm »
. . . Now I'm off to Google one of the those little plastic route sheet holders that everyone seems to have on their handlebar extension.

Err! Having a bit of a problem trying to source one of these. Anyone got a link?

Try Rixen Kaul Mini Map holder. Or Maptrap.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #57 on: 16 March, 2009, 06:52:35 pm »
The Polaris "Map Trap" is the commonly used plastic spring clip thingy - try:
POLARIS Map-Trap Spares 2008 :: £5.99 :: PARTS & ACCESSORIES :: Miscellaneous Items :: Bike Shed UK/bikeshed/bicycle shed/bicycleshed/schwinn/giant/kona/saracen/base/mission/da bomb/dabomb/trials bikes

but if you Google determindly you can find them at SJSC, the CTC shop and other places I think.

« Reply #58 on: 16 March, 2009, 06:55:05 pm »

I then enjoyed having my legs ripped off again all the way around Furneaux Pelham and Great Hormead until we finally made Great Chishall after which my surplus avoirdupois came into its own and we tanked down the hill all the way home, pausing only to switch on the illuminations.

Was that the Solidlight upgrade I sent you? works?
Embarrassed to admit I haven't yet plucked up the courage/got around to fitting this yet - holidays got in the way - but it's high on the jobs list, since I'm now looking to get the 300k and 400k in.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #59 on: 16 March, 2009, 09:44:10 pm »

Try Rixen Kaul Mini Map holder. Or Maptrap.

The Polaris Maptrap is the epitome of good design. Whilst apparently similiar, the Rixen Kaul effort is not.

« Reply #60 on: 16 March, 2009, 09:49:47 pm »
BornAgainCyclist, I was about to offer you my Rixen Kaul one but, as Manotea has indicated, it's crap.

The mounting system on the Polaris is better if you bar setup allows it.

If you'd prefer the RK, let me know.

« Reply #61 on: 16 March, 2009, 10:36:56 pm »
I get on fine with the RK one. I'm on my second, because one did break on the Manifold Valley trail, riding rather fast to get help for a broken arm (not mine!) on the rough roads. That's useful because I have several bikes to fit the bracket to so I got a second bracket that way.

I think this second map trap actually rattles less than the first, as well :)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #62 on: 16 March, 2009, 10:42:28 pm »
I've just bought my second RK one, having lost the clip part somewhere in shedspace. I never had any trouble with the first one.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #63 on: 17 March, 2009, 01:28:58 am »
Zefal used to do a two-velcro-strap one (they now do a three-strap one, the Doomap, which is useless if you mount anything else on your bars, sigh; but if you look up the Doomap and imagine one like it with two straps at one edge, that is what the one I refer to is like). One very like it is now made with a Michelin stamp on it, which means you can only mount it one way up because the other side has a damnfool logo on it which you will inevitably want to cycle under.

However I still use it because it has no clamp on the bike itself so is useful with multiple bikes.

« Reply #64 on: 17 March, 2009, 10:19:27 am »
Thanks for all the info. In view of wot's bin said, I've ordered a Polaris Map Trap from cycleshopping.co.uk (they used to be cobr.co.uk), for £16.66 inc delivery. :)

« Reply #65 on: 18 March, 2009, 06:20:37 pm »
The RK one is perfectly fine. I've got too much stuff on my handlebars to fit a MapTrap.

I used one for 2 years before I switched over to GPS (I just carry the routesheet and a few elastic bands to attach it to my arm in case the GPS stops working). Still have the mount on the handlebars though, just in case I do need it.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."