Author Topic: Liquid energy  (Read 9821 times)

Re: Liquid energy
« Reply #50 on: 18 March, 2009, 06:21:53 am »
Runny / bloated tummy is exactly why I cannot use any of the chemical powder drinks.  The only carb type boost that is not natural that works for me without all the horrendous side effects is a Torq jel.  The benefit of using a gel and having normal water or water/squash mix is it is not sickly sweet and refreshes the mouth afterwards.

I spent a large part of the Bryan Chapman last year in total discomfort due to the above and even went into a really rough looking pub in lycra to use the loo ( I'm sure they thought I was the only gay in the village )  ;D

« Reply #51 on: 18 March, 2009, 08:01:38 am »

Milk is one of the good things.  (Also it's usually fairly easy to locate, when entering the shop/garage in a spaced-out kind of state.  Just look for a big cold white area.)

inc

« Reply #52 on: 18 March, 2009, 08:43:13 am »
Runny / bloated tummy is exactly why I cannot use any of the chemical powder drinks. 

Plain Maltodextrin can be derived from any starch, it is not a chemical any more than sugar extracted from cane or beet. It is usually made from rice, corn, potato and commonly in Europe wheat.There are reports of coeliac reaction to wheat based maltodextrin.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #53 on: 18 March, 2009, 09:17:03 am »
I have noticed that Sheila Simpson uses Coke-cola all the time!

I'm a bit surprised more people haven't admitted to using Coke.
Always available, reliable metered dose of water, sugar and caffeine, guaranteed untouched by human hand.
Sheila sometimes waters hers down a little.

In France we often switch to Schweppes Tonic, which is more readily available over there than it is here.  Far less puke-inducing, and has the (possibly psychosomatic) added benefit of helping ward off cramps.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #54 on: 18 March, 2009, 09:40:44 am »
I have noticed that Sheila Simpson uses Coke-cola all the time!

I'm a bit surprised more people haven't admitted to using Coke.

After these recommendations, sales of Coke are going to skyrocket!

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #55 on: 18 March, 2009, 09:44:03 am »
Best remedy for cramps I have found is Walkers cheese and onion crisps.

H

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #56 on: 18 March, 2009, 09:46:33 am »
I saw the listing

Liquid Energy by Hummers

and I was worried... :-\

(but I still looked! :o )
Getting there...

Arno

• Arno
« Reply #57 on: 18 March, 2009, 10:50:14 am »
Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Arnaud.

LEE

« Reply #58 on: 18 March, 2009, 11:00:59 am »
I saw the listing

Liquid Energy by Hummers

and I was worried... :-\

(but I still looked! :o )

I've heard tell that Hummers' "Liquid Energy" (or Vitimin H) can be taken in a variety of ways, orally, as a body-rub and ..err, I forget the other 2 ways but one of them made my saddle quite uncomfortable for a while.

Note.  I think it can also be used on Brooks Saddles.

« Reply #59 on: 18 March, 2009, 08:44:31 pm »
I've weened myself energy drinks (during riding) and feel much the better for it.

Water + Nuun tablet whilst moving or plain water or orange squash. Energy comes from food.

Black coffee at controls, refill bottles with water (and possibly nuun tablet).

I will occasionally have a Lucozade Energy drink (the Caffeine boost version works well) at petrol station but will drink it in one go before starting again and wash it down with some water.

Frijj Milkshake within an hour of finishing riding for a protein hit, closely followed by BEER.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #60 on: 19 March, 2009, 09:16:38 am »

Milk is one of the good things.  (Also it's usually fairly easy to locate, when entering the shop/garage in a spaced-out kind of state.  Just look for a big cold white area.)

No VAT either, which you pay for bottled water and just about any other drink.  :)

annie

« Reply #61 on: 19 March, 2009, 09:28:32 am »

I am about to make an appointment at the Opticians to see if I need new glasses.

I read the above as 'it's usually fairly easy to lactacte, when entering the shop/garage in a spaced-out kind of state.'

Oh dear me.

« Reply #62 on: 19 March, 2009, 09:46:13 am »

:) In that sort of state, very little seems to surprise me.
     But that's something I'll be watching for, now!

« Reply #63 on: 19 March, 2009, 10:06:16 am »
Nuun tablets are brilliant. They taste a bit like Refreshers but as a drink and really hit the spot (a great hangover cure too).

I've tried a few things, Frij is too gloopy for me, it made me feel sick.
Yop is great, I can neck half a litre of that and feel fine, although why it's sold with a pop off lid in the UK and a screw top lid in France.
Dilute coke, well I've drunk it, but I'm not a fan.
Lucozade sport is OK, easily available, but too sweet.
Milk, makes my mouth fill up with spit - I can't explain it better than that really!
Natural fruit juices, too acidic.
Water, I can't absorb plain water, so combine it with crisps or salted cashew nuts.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #64 on: 19 March, 2009, 10:49:20 am »
Nuun tablets are brilliant. They taste a bit like Refreshers but as a drink and really hit the spot (a great hangover cure too).

I've tried a few things, Frij is too gloopy for me, it made me feel sick.

As a connosewer of these things, Yazoo is preferred to Frij which as our correspondent reports tends to be rather gloopy.

However whilst the milky-chocco-syrup combo is a great nutrition and morale pickmeup its best kept in reserve. Its always a mistake to Yazoo to early.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #65 on: 19 March, 2009, 11:51:11 am »
Its always a mistake to Yazoo to early.

I'm sure I remember Alyson Moyet saying the same thing.
Owner of a languishing Langster