Linked Events

• Border Raid 600 Audax: 21 June, 2008

Author Topic: Border Raid 600  (Read 8069 times)

Border Raid 600
« on: 28 April, 2008, 01:02:26 pm »
21st June

Border Raid entry on Audax Calendar

Anyone doing this?

My entry will be in the post in the next few days...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Border Raid 600
« Reply #1 on: 28 April, 2008, 02:37:02 pm »
I'm vaguely interested. I'd quite like at least one scenic mid "summer" ride this year, and riding oop north around the solstice was fantastic on the Daylight 600 '07.

Maladict had this to say in 2007, but it sounds like a different route:
http://www.anothercyclingforum.com/index.php?topic=35184.0

[Edited to remove obsolete route.]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Maladict

« Reply #2 on: 28 April, 2008, 02:44:10 pm »
The route's completely different, starts in a different place, though it does do the Wensleydale bit on the last section  - in the reverse direction - instead of visiting there at 200km or so.

I think it's got more climbing, which is good.  4000m is still flat - half the climbing of the BCM.

« Reply #3 on: 28 April, 2008, 02:49:47 pm »
Was this a Tyne Vags/Martyn Sladdin promotion last year  ? I know for sure that Nigel was involved though. You guys should do this ride, it is promoted by my club. I would if I hadn't hurt myself. Teesdale and Wensleydale are superb; LEL goes up Teesdale (Yad Moss) so it'll be useful knowledge there.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4 on: 28 April, 2008, 03:53:45 pm »
Martin
Can you get any more info about the route/controls? I think a lot of riders will want to know about sleeping options (it's an X event, so obviously we're not expecting free beds!).

Cheers,
M
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Maladict

« Reply #5 on: 28 April, 2008, 04:10:32 pm »
I guess I'll do it.  I'm now 2 rides into 4 SR series so need a few 400s & 600s.  ::-)

Last time, I (attempted) sleep at Abington Services (Premier Travel Inn).  Very comfortable, but I had trouble with sleeping so that was a waste of money.  It actually looks very much as though that area will be around the right place for a sleep stop - has to be beyond 300km really.  If it was a plain reversal of last year's route it'd be too early, but the start is further south now and I think that will add to the distance by the time you get there.

You could just email the organiser, his addr is on the calendar page.  If you do, let me know what you find out.

Air Dancer

« Reply #6 on: 28 April, 2008, 04:23:38 pm »
There's a lot of variables here, the main one is where you're gonna end up at around midnight say, which in turn depends on fitness and terrain.

I'd look to see where the nearest towns/villages are at your estimated crashing-out time and tap-up a B&B, YHA or some such.

The route goes through some remote areas, so a B&B may appreciate the business from a bunch of cyclists coughing-up for 6 hours kip before moving on (a discount perhaps  :))

« Reply #7 on: 28 April, 2008, 04:24:42 pm »

You could just email the organiser, his addr is on the calendar page.  If you do, let me know what you find out.

That is what I have just done. I'll let you know.

« Reply #8 on: 28 April, 2008, 05:00:16 pm »
Here is what Nigel responded with.

"Border Raid: the night route will be along the M74 / M6 relief roads. The plan was to allow folks to get their heads down at Annandale water (Johnsonbridge) services near Moffat after descent from Devil's Beeftub. Last year some people booked a room here. Was thinking of doing something similar, but waiting to see size / nature of the field first. Other services at about 25 mile intervals."

« Reply #9 on: 28 April, 2008, 08:39:09 pm »
I'm thinking about riding this one, but it depends on the trains. I'd be up for a room share in a hotel on the event.

« Reply #10 on: 29 April, 2008, 12:11:23 pm »
Trains and hotel booked although my brother is umm-ing and err-ing about joining me but he won't know for sure for a few weeks. If he can't come then they'll be a spare space in the Scotch Corner Travelodge (both Friday and Sunday night).

I'm just going to check with the organiser that I can leave a small rucksack of clothes with him as left luggage as the Travelodge don't offer left luggage. The event does have an "L" for left luggage.

Creaky Knees

« Reply #11 on: 29 April, 2008, 04:12:31 pm »
Here's a list of controls for the event to help with your planning

C1: 70km Alston 
C2: 118km Longtown 
C3: 144km Newcastleton 
C4: 204km Kelso 
C5: 221km Scott's View
C6: 254km Traquair
C7: 332km Annandale Water 
C8: 376km Longtown 
C9: 419km Penrith 
C10: 466km Sedburgh: 
C11: 517km Leyburn: 
C12: 550km Ripon: 
C13: 602km Aldbrough St John

Hope this helps.It should be a good event. Nigel is a great organiser.

Cheers. CK

Martin
Can you get any more info about the route/controls? I think a lot of riders will want to know about sleeping options (it's an X event, so obviously we're not expecting free beds!).

Cheers,
M

« Reply #12 on: 29 April, 2008, 04:15:08 pm »
The Longtown to Penrith leg is gagging for an overnight at Southwaite Services Travelodge, then breakfast in Penrith.

« Reply #13 on: 29 April, 2008, 04:26:44 pm »
Thanks CK!

Maladict

« Reply #14 on: 29 April, 2008, 04:40:40 pm »
Very useful CK, thanks.  Agreed about the organisation, last year's event was great.

Annandale Water was my sleep control last year - it's about the same distance this year.  I arrived with more than 5h in hand; this was my plan but it was more by luck than judgement that I achieved it, having sat in for the first 50km at 30kph.  :)

Last year was veh flat for the first 150km or so, then hilly up Wensleydale and across to Penrith, then flat again from Penrith up to Annandale Water (and stayed relatively flat all the way til Galashiels really).  From Galashiels to the finish was hilly.

This year, going to Longtown Newcastleton Kelso early on will probably make the first section slower.  So I would delay the sleep stop to allow making up time on the flat bits that come later
on, maybe.  Mr Series' suggestion sounds like a good 'un.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #15 on: 29 April, 2008, 05:58:46 pm »
Here's a list of controls for the event to help with your planning

C6: 254km Traquair
C7: 332km Annandale Water 

Thanks Creaky, that's great (and thanks MS).
Here is Google's route betwixt your controls:
http://tinyurl.com/56boao
It's only 580km, and does NOT use the A701 into Moffat. If I reroute thru Peebles between C6/C7, it's upto 604km - bang-on.

Is there an info or similar to bring us that way? (I'm only basing this on Nigel's comment about the "Beeftub").
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Maladict

« Reply #16 on: 29 April, 2008, 06:00:18 pm »
It did Peebles last year - no info required that I can recall but that was with a different control at each end of the leg.

« Reply #17 on: 30 April, 2008, 01:38:48 pm »
Left Luggage not a problem as it starts/finishes at the organiser's house. Entry posted this afternoon.

*begins to get nervous about debut 600*

We'll see what happens with me and sleep on the 400 this weekend.

Maladict

« Reply #18 on: 25 May, 2008, 08:12:25 pm »
*entry in the post*

« Reply #19 on: 10 June, 2008, 11:55:17 am »
Will the Northern bits required some protection from the midges?

Maladict

« Reply #20 on: 10 June, 2008, 12:04:23 pm »
I didn't notice any problem last year.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #21 on: 10 June, 2008, 02:41:49 pm »

They'd all drowned.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Maladict

« Reply #22 on: 10 June, 2008, 03:56:03 pm »

They'd all drowned.

What, in sunshine?  The weather on all the qualifiers I completed was perfect.  :demon:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #23 on: 11 June, 2008, 09:44:06 am »

They'd all drowned.

What, in sunshine?  The weather on all the qualifiers I completed was perfect.  :demon:

Git ???
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Maladict

« Reply #24 on: 17 June, 2008, 12:11:26 am »
Routesheet arrived in email just now.

Just had a quick peek at it, must go to bed soon (avoiding sleep dep stopping me riding *again*).

I have emailed the org asking about the 1st section as the distances don't add up properly.  So please don't all email him.  :)

The route looks great from navigation POV - there are lots of very long distances between instructions so should be easy.  Also means hopefully very easy to plot the GPS route.

Edit: Just realised why the distances don't add up, there's nothing wrong with the route.  The last leg of each section doesn't quote the distance for the leg, hence the discrepancy.