Author Topic: September 600 for SR  (Read 1737 times)

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
September 600 for SR
« on: 27 May, 2008, 10:16:23 pm »
After my crash with a deer on the Heart of England I am contemplating a 600 (well 700) ride from Reading to Edinburgh. I have a friend in Edinburgh who will put me up no matter what time I turn up.

For the northern section of this ride I am considering riding from Darlington to Edinburgh on the A68. I know nothing about this road and was wondering if this was suitable for my Audax ride.

I am thinking about doing Reading to York and sleeping over and then doing York to Edinburgh. This will be tough on my own but I have got this into my head and I think I need to do this - or be convinced that it is just plain mad.
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
Re: September 600 for SR
« Reply #1 on: 27 May, 2008, 10:21:50 pm »

For the northern section of this ride I am considering riding from Darlington to Edinburgh on the A68. I know nothing about this road and was wondering if this was suitable for my Audax ride.

:hand: Don't do it. Not the A68. Horrible.

There was a thread earlier about routes up to Embra. I don't have time tonight to find it. prolly best going for something like the LEL route.
HTH
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Martin

« Reply #2 on: 27 May, 2008, 11:24:19 pm »
Yep head straight towards Thirsk and pick up the LEL route; don't use the A7 or similar busy roads

« Reply #3 on: 28 May, 2008, 10:10:21 am »
The A68 is a really nice road to drive. I'm not sure I'd fancy cycling it, it's fast.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4 on: 28 May, 2008, 10:29:22 am »
-1 to cycling on the A68, at least south of Hadrian's Wall.  It's built along the line of Dere Street and is thus dead straight and full of blind crests.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime