Author Topic: Denmead 400 - June 21 - Roll Call  (Read 9900 times)

LEE

Denmead 400 - June 21 - Roll Call
« on: 30 May, 2008, 11:33:38 am »
This is to complete my first SR so I'll be there whatever the weather.

Anyone else doing it? 

Also, does anyone know the route?  An old route sheet would be great or just a list of towns/villages it goes through to get an idea.

Thanks

Martin

Re: Denmead 400 - June 21 - Roll Call
« Reply #1 on: 30 May, 2008, 11:43:19 am »
This is to complete my first SR so I'll be there whatever the weather.

Anyone else doing it? 

Also, does anyone know the route?  An old route sheet would be great or just a list of towns/villages it goes through to get an idea.

assuming it's the same as 2005; Pamville- Usual Denemad way West a la 200/300- Porton Down- Amesbury (control)-Chitterne- Frome (control?)-Green Ore- Cheddar- Shipham- Weston Super Mare (control)- Somerset Levels- Glasto- Shaftesbury (El Supremo stop in 2005 but won't be this time)- Northern edge of the New Forest- Romsey (sitting on the floor of a petrol station enviously eyeing up the lucky riders who bagged the piles of Sunday papers to sit on whilst drinking cup-a soup under an open plan chiller cabinet full of BEER which was also shut) return via outward route (I was too busy fending off hypothermia to pay much attention to the last 100k). As luck would have it there was a wedding reception in a marquee behind the hall and they had left all the BEER; at 0530 a very cold Stella hits the spot  :P You would be well advised to pitch a tent in Pam's garden if allowed * as there is no hall at the finish (Dave Kahn went for extra Audax Survivor Points by sleeping in his tent outside the hall anyway)

* it doesn't mention it so probably not; but you are fairly near the finish aren't you?

Being a new style Pam ride I think you can pretty much stop where you like as long as you visit the controls for a cuppa. This is very much a proper "no sleep" 400 but riding back into the sunrise is lovely.

« Reply #2 on: 30 May, 2008, 01:07:56 pm »
That all sounds v.pleasant. I've heard a lot of good things about this ride from people who've ridden it in recent years.
Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...

Martin

« Reply #3 on: 30 May, 2008, 01:29:46 pm »
it's very good; a bit of a bugger if there's a headwind across Salisbury Plain and through Mendip but the only noteable hills are out of Cheddar and up to Shaftesbury

RR here;

Ride report; 4x4's -
  uk.rec.cycling |
  Google Groups

Plodder

• More of a lurker than a poster!
« Reply #4 on: 30 May, 2008, 05:40:33 pm »
I hope to be there, as the start is so very local. I've booked the day off work in anticipation.

It'll be my first ride over 230k, unless I can fit in a perm or DIY 300k between now and then, so it'll be an interesting experience...

The Portsmouth Wednesday Night Pub Ride Group - "a drinking club with a cycling problem".

LEE

« Reply #5 on: 31 May, 2008, 11:43:03 am »
I hope to be there, as the start is so very local. I've booked the day off work in anticipation.

It'll be my first ride over 230k, unless I can fit in a perm or DIY 300k between now and then, so it'll be an interesting experience...

Urban_Biker is local to the start as well and we both fall into the 'Plodder' category so likely our paths will cross.

Plodding, with very short food/control stops, will be our tactic for getting round, no point in running out of gas with 100km of night ride left.

Plodder

« Reply #6 on: 31 May, 2008, 01:40:12 pm »
Urban_Biker is local to the start as well and we both fall into the 'Plodder' category so likely our paths will cross.

Plodding, with very short food/control stops, will be our tactic for getting round, no point in running out of gas with 100km of night ride left.

Steady progress and minimum faffing sounds like a plan to me. Only fly in the ointment is my need to be back at work by 3pm on Sunday. Mind you, sleep is for wimps, apparently! Look forward to seeing you there.
The Portsmouth Wednesday Night Pub Ride Group - "a drinking club with a cycling problem".

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #7 on: 31 May, 2008, 02:34:45 pm »
Only fly in the ointment is my need to be back at work by 3pm on Sunday.

Crumbs.

Good luck with that one!

H

LEE

« Reply #8 on: 31 May, 2008, 03:44:06 pm »

Steady progress and minimum faffing sounds like a plan to me. Only fly in the ointment is my need to be back at work by 3pm on Sunday. Mind you, sleep is for wimps, apparently! Look forward to seeing you there.

I think we get until about 09:40 on Sunday Morning to complete the ride.

My target will be 6hrs per 100km for this one as I expect it to get hilly out West and I want to have something in reserve for the final night miles.  So anywhere around a 7am finish will be fine by me.  I'll drive back home (1hr) and sleep until lunchtime.

It's taken me all this week to get over the sleep-deprivation incurred on the Midhurst 600.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #9 on: 02 June, 2008, 10:26:29 am »

I think we get until about 09:40 on Sunday Morning to complete the ride.

My target will be 6hrs per 100km for this one as I expect it to get hilly out West and I want to have something in reserve for the final night miles.  So anywhere around a 7am finish will be fine by me.  I'll drive back home (1hr) and sleep until lunchtime.

It's taken me all this week to get over the sleep-deprivation incurred on the Midhurst 600.

I'll be there. Looking forward to it in fact. Cycling to Weston-Super-Mare feels pretty audacious to me. Looking forward to the Mendips and Cheddar Gorge. Don't think the lack of sleep will be aproblem apart from getting through the early morning dip.

Lee, you're welcome to camp at mine if you like. I may also put up a tent in my back garden, just to avoid being woken up by the kids.

Anyone else who can't manage to camp at The Nest is welcome to drop me a PM and I'll see if I can squeeze you in the back garden. I also live in Denmead a few minutes ride from Pams.
Owner of a languishing Langster

frere yacker

« Reply #10 on: 02 June, 2008, 12:23:20 pm »
I really enjoyed this event when I did it in 2005, the year when it benefitted from el Supremo catering.  I'd go as far as saying it is a highlight of the many rides I've done since I started this lark in March that year.

Printed out the form for the 2008 ride but am currently humming and hawwing about sending it off.  To be honest, I am becoming increasingly bored and disillusioned with longer rides that don't have facilities put on.

LEE

« Reply #11 on: 09 June, 2008, 11:09:26 am »
To be honest, I am becoming increasingly bored and disillusioned with longer rides that don't have facilities put on.

I think it depends where the route takes you.  If it goes through several town centres at appropriate times then I'm fine with a Cafe or Chippy.
El Supremo's layby buffet was extremely welcome at around 10pm on Midhurst 600 though, perfect time and place.

On this 400 I'll just make sure I'm carrying enough sandwiches to get me through midnight to 5am ish. 

I'm rather getting used to eating surrounded by the aroma of petrol and diesel fumes to be honest.

« Reply #12 on: 09 June, 2008, 09:18:14 pm »
you do realise if you were to finish in between 18 - 19 hrs you could have a couple of hrs sleep then ride the winton 200km on sunday ::-)

LEE

« Reply #13 on: 09 June, 2008, 10:50:02 pm »
you do realise if you were to finish in between 18 - 19 hrs you could have a couple of hrs sleep then ride the winton 200km on sunday ::-)

You make an excellent point, one which I shall reflect on as I glug some Wine (whilst sat on my patio on Sunday afternoon) to, hopefully, celebrate my becoming a Super Randonneur.

Seriously I'm having some fairly bad (from a pain point of view) neck and shoulder problems on longer rides.  I have my first Physio appointment tomorrow but I still fully expect to finish the Denmead 400 in a lot of discomfort.  I doubt if my Physio will recommend sitting on a bike for 24 hours as a cure for neck pain so I don't intend to do many more miles this year once I have my SR. 

I honestly think I'll be all audaxed-out by then anyway (It took me a week to even look at my bike again after finishing my 600). I intend to drag my trailer-tent to a few sunny fields and abuse my liver for the few nice weekends we have left this year.

If I can sort out my neck/shoulder problem then it will make long distance cycling much more of a pleasure.  I need to be able to enjoy the scenery rather than thinking how best to deal with the cramps for the next 12 hours.  It's getting to be an all-consuming irritation and taking the pleasure out of my only hobby.

frere yacker

« Reply #14 on: 10 June, 2008, 09:30:48 am »
To be honest, I am becoming increasingly bored and disillusioned with longer rides that don't have facilities put on.

I think it depends where the route takes you.  If it goes through several town centres at appropriate times then I'm fine with a Cafe or Chippy.
El Supremo's layby buffet was extremely welcome at around 10pm on Midhurst 600 though, perfect time and place.

On this 400 I'll just make sure I'm carrying enough sandwiches to get me through midnight to 5am ish. 

I'm rather getting used to eating surrounded by the aroma of petrol and diesel fumes to be honest.

Hourses for courses.  For me, it's more that there won't be a sleep stop at 320-350km.  A wee bit bored of snatched sleep in bus shelters.  Once or twice is fine, but by the end of the year I'll have had something like 6 weekends where I've "had" to do this.  I've decided the Manningtree 400 and Flamborough Head 1000 will be my last two this year, so Denmead 400 is out for me (despite it being a personal favourite ride - fond memories).

LEE

« Reply #15 on: 15 June, 2008, 05:29:59 pm »
My participation now depends on getting a new rim fitted to my Rohloff rear wheel between now and Friday.

Hummers

« Reply #16 on: 15 June, 2008, 06:14:32 pm »
My participation now depends on getting a new rim fitted to my Rohloff rear wheel between now and Friday.

:(

Although you could do the Denmead 600 in lieu of this one for you SR.

H

LEE

« Reply #17 on: 15 June, 2008, 10:10:47 pm »

:(

Although you could do the Denmead 600 in lieu of this one for you SR.

H

I'm abroad on that date.

I'm frantically rebuilding my British Eagle Touristique as a desperate standby bike for Saturday but I don't have a Dynohub on that bike as it's 700c wheels.  I also don't want my first ride on it in 2 years to be 240 miles.

I'm a bit bolloxed for training as well, I guess I'll have to use my old MTB to do a few miles.
This is not going to plan at all.  I want SJS Cycles to rebuild the wheel because their rims are drilled for the Rohloff hub (I think).

Bollocks, Bollocks, Arse and Bollocks !

Why can't things be easy?

I suppose Droitwich on August 30th would be my next option, it has a 400 route.

« Reply #18 on: 16 June, 2008, 05:15:28 am »
I'm frantically rebuilding my British Eagle Touristique as a desperate standby bike for Saturday but I don't have a Dynohub on that bike as it's 700c wheels. 

I've got a 700c wheel with a Schmidt, which you could borrow for the weekend....
Not sure where you are, but I think not all that far away from Bradford on Avon?

PM me if this might work out!

Hummers

« Reply #19 on: 16 June, 2008, 07:31:47 am »

I've got a 700c wheel with a Schmidt, which you could borrow for the weekend....

Same here - you can borrow mine if that helps as I am possibly closer.

Let me know.

H

LEE

« Reply #20 on: 16 June, 2008, 08:23:07 am »
Thanks for the kind offers. Bradford-o-A is a bit too far out of my way.  Hummers is on-route to my office.

Hummers, I may need to take you up on this. My plan is to:

1) See how quickly SJSC can turn around a wheel build (although I think it will cost too much in express shipping to do it quickly)
or
2) See if LBS can source a Sun CR18 rim quickly and do the build
or
3) Get a Sun CR18 online and see if LBS can use it for rebuild

In the meantime
4) Keep working on other bike.  Currently the gears sound like spanners in a tumble-dryer.  I think the new chain is playing havoc with old jockey wheels. I need some new bars and longer stem (ordering today) to make it comfortable enough for a 400k

I'll know my options today so I'll be in touch. 

Cheers fellas.

(If nothing else it will force me to rebuild my other bike quicker than I was doing)

Hummers

« Reply #21 on: 16 June, 2008, 09:02:08 am »
Let me know - you have my mobile number and I am back in Pompey on Wednesday.

H

Plodder

« Reply #22 on: 17 June, 2008, 11:46:33 am »
Has anybody had a route-sheet yet?

Or would that be a bit premature?

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #23 on: 17 June, 2008, 11:50:25 am »
I still haven't got one. Although for the 300k I never got one and had to get mine off LEE.

I won't be having a panic unless I don't get one by tomorrow morning. It would be nice to have time to plot it before we leave.
Owner of a languishing Langster

LEE

« Reply #24 on: 17 June, 2008, 11:57:51 am »
I still haven't got one. Although for the 300k I never got one and had to get mine off LEE.

I won't be having a panic unless I don't get one by tomorrow morning. It would be nice to have time to plot it before we leave.
Nothing here.

I think I usually get an email on the Wednesday before so here's hoping tomorrow brings it.