Author Topic: Teifi Traveller 400km - June 14th 2008  (Read 2387 times)

Teifi Traveller 400km - June 14th 2008
« on: 09 June, 2008, 06:42:26 pm »
Anyone else here doing it? I've chosen the 2:30 am (!) start from Morriston option, given that it's down the road from here.  Finishing on the Sunday morning in the early hours at a 24-hour filling station and getting a receipt, before the 5 mile ride up-hill home, looks like being an anti-climactic way of getting my SR.  Never mind.  I'm looking forward to the West Wales bit.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
Re: Teifi Traveller 400km - June 14th 2008
« Reply #1 on: 09 June, 2008, 10:12:01 pm »
I am starting at Tongwynlais.  If I ride well I will arrive at Pont Abraham before dawn.  Then after a short break the sun will appear and I will struggle to the West coast but then the sun will be shining brightly and I can enjoy the rest of the day arriving back in Cardiff as the sun disappears again.

The time of this ride was originally chosen for two reasons.  1.  The night time riding was to acclimatise riders to a late start on PBP.  2.  The small hours are the only time if is safe to ride along the A48.

Mike Pain said he wanted to ride it.  Tony Pember is riding it on Friday and is going to be the start control at Tongwynlais.  I am not aware of anyone else.

« Reply #2 on: 09 June, 2008, 10:20:12 pm »
We've thought about it, but decided no in the end.  Too many long rides of late have taken their toll, so we're easing back and maybe doing some perms for a few weeks...

Best of luck!

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

miniog

• aka IanS
« Reply #3 on: 09 June, 2008, 11:06:41 pm »
I'll be at the Morriston start. Still undecided whether to ride the 7 miles to the start or stick the bike in the back of the car. If Nuncio is riding to the start (with his seriously uphill finish on the way home) I may be embarrassed into doing likewise.

Maladict

« Reply #4 on: 10 June, 2008, 01:17:48 am »
2.  The small hours are the only time if is safe to ride along the A48.

That's why Dave Lewis sent us along that road on the Gower Getter & Ferryside Fish Foray then...  :demon:

daflloyd

« Reply #5 on: 10 June, 2008, 09:28:00 am »
I've entered and intend to ride. I will start at Tongwynlais. Due to convuluted family commitments, my Friday will not be as restful as planned, and so my chances of a relaxing evening and a nap before the off are being compromised.

At least day break (and a strong coffee at Pont Abraham) should wake me up a bit.

« Reply #6 on: 10 June, 2008, 11:17:59 am »
I saw Dave L last night.  14 have entered from Cardiff and 8 from Swansea.  Perhaps we could don tribal Bluebirds and Jacks gear and have a 'rumble' on neutral territory in the caf at Cardigan.  Bike chain would be the weapon of choice, obviously.

cornelius

• Three wheels on my wagon...
« Reply #7 on: 11 June, 2008, 04:13:00 pm »
Perhaps we could don tribal Bluebirds and Jacks gear and have a 'rumble' on neutral territory in the caf at Cardigan.  Bike chain would be the weapon of choice, obviously.

Ne jeste pas mon ami! Last year we had a couple of close encounters of the numpty kind both on the way out and the way home. Lycra and hot rubber appears to excite the natives who were willing to donate tinned beer (full metal jacket projectile version) to speed us on our way.

More reasons to wear a  helmet... ::-)
Like Jehu, Son of Nimshi, who drove like a maniac...

Lonewolff

« Reply #8 on: 13 June, 2008, 11:51:14 pm »
Well - People should be setting off in about 10 minutes. Hopefully will see everyone as they pass through the Tongwynlais control where I will be finishing the people who started from there and stamping the other cards and sending people on their way to the finish.

« Reply #9 on: 15 June, 2008, 10:19:09 pm »
Sorry to hear about that Cornelius.  No such problems for us yesterday, or at least none that I'm aware of.

That seemed quite a hard way to complete the SR, but we finished with nearly 3 1/2 hours to spare.  The West Wales Teifi bits were beautiful, unknown to me for the most part, then becoming familiar by Tregaron from the Brevet Cymru.  The sharp bits before Strata Florida (for those that chose the 'correct' route to the info control) came as a bit of a surprise.  At Tregaron on the return many cyclists were taking advantage of the Spar.  In the square there were, rather confusingly, some Cardiff-start riders on the return, some Swansea-start riders on the return, and some Cardiff-start riders on the way out.

Some nervous energy and a lot of actual energy was spent on the climb between Cwmann and Llansawel, as Miniog's right pedal creaked and went a bit floppy.  It lasted till the control on the Black Mountain, but there was some doubt as to whether it would stay attached to the end.  So I phoned the current Cllr Mrs S/N, described what a pedal spanner looked like and where it may be found in the garage, ditto with my spare SPDs, and she drove the 5 miles to rendezvous at the Co-op in Ystalyfera for a quick replacement.  miniog's SR was back on track.

I was not looking forward to the last section, leaving the smug Cardiff lot in the hotel.  We knew about the immediate climb Pentyrch, and took it in a fairly stately manner.  Then it was down to the A473 and A48 for a very flat and straightforward last 50k or so.  I was clad to have finished (even gladder to get home up the hill) but at least the last stretch wasn't the ordeal I had been expecting.

So my second SR done (and miniog's), and probably no more long ones this year, just maybe some AAA chasing (or  that should be 'AAA grovelling'?).

I would like to thank the current Cllr Mrs S/N for being there; and my usually-dependable bike, without which this would not have been possible.

miniog

• aka IanS
« Reply #10 on: 16 June, 2008, 09:27:31 am »
I will be eternally grateful to Mrs (Councillor) Nuncio for delivering Nuncio’s spare SPD and pedal spanner to Ystalyfera. I don’t know whether I would have risked the late night/early morning ride from Cardiff back to Swansea with my pedal clunking and virtually hanging off. Nor whether I would have been motivated to do another 400 to complete my SR if I had packed on this one.  Not sure whether this type of assistance is within the spirit of Audax - Nuncio referred me to the 1913 Tour de France when the race leader was given a time penalty for asking a small boy to operate the bellows as he forged a new front fork.

Pedal apart, a very pleasant ride. The early morning stretch to Cardigan was particularly enjoyable with its variety of quiet valleys, gentle climbs and sea views. A couple of surprise climbs later on, especially the one out of Cwmann on the return, and a few familiar ones, but nothing too taxing.

Thanks to Dave Lewis and lonewolff for their efforts (and to any others involved in the organisation).