Author Topic: Nippy Sweetie 200k : Sunday 6th February 2011 : Edinburgh  (Read 25151 times)

Bairn Again

Nippy Sweetie 200k : Sunday 6th February 2011 : Edinburgh
« on: 23 November, 2010, 05:12:40 pm »
Hi folks.

I have already received a handful of entries and a thought a kick off post might be worthwhile. 

This 200k PBP qualifier will be taking place on Sunday 6th February 2011 starting from Corstorphine in the west of Edinburgh with the start/finish in the Church Hall on Kirk Loan.

Google Maps

There are a few tweaks to the route compared with the inaugural running in 2009, the most significant being that after Perth, riders will head west via St David’s south of A85 rather than by Harrietfield.  There will be a control in/around St David’s, probably a car.  This change, along with a couple of other tweaks from last time,  takes the event distance to 200km exactly (from around 210km), which I believe is preferable for a BRM event in February.  Rest assured however that this event still goes through Comrie. 

The draft routesheet on the AUK website has been updated to reflect these changes but is still subject to potential revision after an organisers ride [probably January]. 

Causewayhead will be an additional control in 2011.  Although it’s not required to verify distance I know that most folk normally stop at Corrieri’s anyway.  There’s the Co-op next door if a “stamp & go” is required.

The intermediate controls in full are Perth, St David’s, Comrie, Kinbuck (info) and Causewayhead. 

Soup & pies & cake & stuff at the finish.

Regards.

Graeme

GlasgowDave

• Inside I'm smiling
    • Flickr Audax Group
Re: Nippy Sweetie 200k : Sunday 6th February 2011 : Edinburgh
« Reply #1 on: 27 November, 2010, 10:33:04 am »
I'm thinking about giving this a bash, although I haven't entered yet.

The route you've posted is handy, but it only shows the start location. I just looked at the Audax calendar page and found this:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/474452

along with a lot of code that didn't work on our board, see below for link, handy for the bloggers out there.

http://www.bikely.com/blogthismap/routeid/474452

Dave
it takes a special talent to miss out on the Midnight Madness by sleeping in...

Bairn Again

« Reply #2 on: 28 November, 2010, 02:57:15 pm »

The route you've posted is handy, but it only shows the start location. I just looked at the Audax calendar page and found this:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/474452
along with a lot of code that didn't work on our board, see below for link, handy for the bloggers out there.
http://www.bikely.com/blogthismap/routeid/474452
Dave

Thanks Dave.  I checked the auk calendar (logging in as organiser) and the latter link you posted is what I had uploaded - so I have not the first idea WTF has happened there.

Graeme

Bairn Again

« Reply #3 on: 07 January, 2011, 12:18:57 pm »
This is a gentle reminder to get your entries in for the above.  I appreciate that some riders might be waiting and keeping an eye on the weather before sending an entry in and that there’s still some postal delivery issues (still not got my routesheet for the 200k on 3rd Jan for example!). 

I have a broad idea of potential riders, let’s call them “the usual suspects”.  Could I trouble you all for a “yes/no/maybe” here on the forum which will help in planning.  I’m currently sitting on an option over a hall booking which is the biggest outlay and I’d said I’d confirm to the hall lady one way or another in the next week or so.  She’s got a Zoomba dance class organiser waiting in the wings should we not take up our provisional reservation.  I have no idea what Zoomba dancing is, but it doesn’t sound like it’s the sort of thing we should be encouraging.     

If the number of entries doesn’t cover the cost of the hall, the start will be al fresco in the Kirk Loan car park and we can use my house as the finish control.  If this happens the field will be restricted to 15.  I’ve received 3 entries so far – I think the only forumite among those is bodach.

Rest assured that the event will only go ahead if I’m satisfied that weather conditions will allow a safe event.  The provisional “plan B” date is either Saturday 26th or Sunday 27th Feb. 

Graeme

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #4 on: 07 January, 2011, 12:42:11 pm »
G, email sent earlier today - I'm a definite maybe. I've had my worst month on (well, more off tbh) a bike for years. A 200 might just be asking too much of my wee legs and weary bones at the moment. I'll be a bit more definite in a few days, probably.

I have no idea what Zoomba dancing is, but it doesn’t sound like it’s the sort of thing we should be encouraging.     
Zoomba dancing? I think our chum xrtim may be able to enlighten us. But it sounds potentially more fun than trundling through Bo'ness onna bike.  ;)

It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

jimbhoy

« Reply #5 on: 07 January, 2011, 12:55:30 pm »
Can't access the AUK uk site from work just now, what's the start time ?.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #6 on: 07 January, 2011, 01:00:51 pm »
08:00

jimbhoy

« Reply #7 on: 07 January, 2011, 01:03:49 pm »
Pity, would love to have made this my first 200, but first train from Weegie to Embra is 7.50am  :(

Bairn Again

« Reply #8 on: 07 January, 2011, 01:16:31 pm »
G, email sent earlier today - I'm a definite maybe. I've had my worst month on (well, more off tbh) a bike for years. A 200 might just be asking too much of my wee legs and weary bones at the moment. I'll be a bit more definite in a few days, probably.

I have no idea what Zoomba dancing is, but it doesn’t sound like it’s the sort of thing we should be encouraging.     
Zoomba dancing? I think our chum xrtim may be able to enlighten us. But it sounds potentially more fun than trundling through Bo'ness onna bike.  ;)

Ive been reliably informed that Zoomba dancing is "a load of middle aged folk in lycra making a t|t of themselves".   

:o

« Reply #9 on: 07 January, 2011, 01:46:14 pm »
I'm 95% sure I can't make this one - sorry!

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #10 on: 07 January, 2011, 02:08:44 pm »
By coincidence my entry went in the post this morning :thumbsup:

« Reply #11 on: 07 January, 2011, 02:38:33 pm »

Ive been reliably informed that Zoomba dancing is "a load of middle aged folk in lycra making a t|t of themselves".   

:o

That describes about 95% of the audaxes I've been on as well :P
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #12 on: 07 January, 2011, 02:46:27 pm »
By coincidence my entry went in the post this morning :thumbsup:

Like Mr Maverick I popped my entry in the post this morning - great minds must be in sync.

« Reply #13 on: 07 January, 2011, 03:14:04 pm »
Too unfit for this one. I might have to turn to Zumba...

Rimnod

« Reply #14 on: 07 January, 2011, 03:34:46 pm »
To early for me as well, don't think I have 200 km in my legs at the moment.

Hope you all have a great day.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #15 on: 08 January, 2011, 01:12:57 pm »
YLG - I'll be sending an entry early next week. I need to be at work to print the entry form.

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #16 on: 08 January, 2011, 02:56:02 pm »
When Edinburgh airport re-opens I'll get home and post off my entry! I've been sitting in Innsbruck airport for the last 6 hours.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #17 on: 08 January, 2011, 02:58:34 pm »

You should enter - I seem to recall it's a pretty flat 200, with the col du Bo'ness the steepest part of the route.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #18 on: 08 January, 2011, 04:27:03 pm »

You should enter - I seem to recall it's a pretty flat 200, with the col du Bo'ness the steepest part of the route.

It is a pretty easy 200. The toughest bit is staying awake on the Skinflats road :)

« Reply #19 on: 08 January, 2011, 04:42:26 pm »
Hi YLG
 I'll send an entry off next week, so count me in for this one.

Cheers
Roberto

jimbhoy

« Reply #20 on: 08 January, 2011, 04:44:06 pm »

That's why i was going to enter, i thought it would have been a good ride to get my first 200.

GlasgowDave

• Inside I'm smiling
    • Flickr Audax Group
« Reply #21 on: 08 January, 2011, 05:09:04 pm »

My entry is printed, I just need to find my chequebook.

Dave
it takes a special talent to miss out on the Midnight Madness by sleeping in...

david.ness

« Reply #22 on: 09 January, 2011, 03:14:46 pm »
Please count me in for this event. Let's hope the snow stays away. My application is in the post tonight.

david.ness

« Reply #23 on: 09 January, 2011, 03:23:06 pm »
Can I just check a couple of things- sorry they are newbie questions but this is my first go at pbp.

I note from the Pbp website that the 200km qualifiers run from 24/2 to 22/4 given that the nippy sweetie is the 6th of February ie before this period is there a chance that it may not be deemed to count towards pbp?

What is the maximum time for the 200k ?

Bairn Again

« Reply #24 on: 09 January, 2011, 05:07:11 pm »
Can I just check a couple of things- sorry they are newbie questions but this is my first go at pbp.  I note from the Pbp website that the 200km qualifiers run from 24/2 to 22/4 given that the nippy sweetie is the 6th of February ie before this period is there a chance that it may not be deemed to count towards pbp?  What is the maximum time for the 200k ?

PBP website "The recommended planning for French organizers in 2011 is as follow [sic]

•BRM 200 km of February 24 to April 22

UK qualifiers can take place from 1 Jan (hence Ian Jacksons 200 on 3rd Jan) and this event is definitely a PBP qualifier.  Max time I think is 200 / 15 = 13hrs 20 mins