Author Topic: Nippy Sweetie 200k : Sunday 6th February 2011 : Edinburgh  (Read 25149 times)

recumbentim

• Only 6 SR,s No hyper yet
Re: Nippy Sweetie 200k : Sunday 6th February 2011 : Edinburgh
« Reply #25 on: 09 January, 2011, 08:27:04 pm »
Zumba is a latin International Music inspired fitness program . My wife Fiona is an instructor and I have been participating in about 7 classes a week , cause I am there organising and helping.
So if there are no Audax types turn up I will do the class with the 40 middle aged wifies.
You should get an entry form me soon Mr G.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #26 on: 09 January, 2011, 10:13:58 pm »
BRM 200 max time is 13 hr 30 min, regardless of actual distance.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #27 on: 10 January, 2011, 07:06:08 am »
Glad I didn't put a 100% chance I couldn't come - in fact I can  :thumbsup:

Will do an entry this week, looking forward to it! (assuming there's not another dump of snow to deal with!)

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #28 on: 10 January, 2011, 11:09:04 am »
Entry now in the post. Meanwhile, I think we need to see some pictures of xrtim doing his recumbent Zumba. :o
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #29 on: 10 January, 2011, 12:53:33 pm »
Could explain what he's doing here:

aptstarfish

« Reply #30 on: 11 January, 2011, 06:27:28 pm »
I plan to fill in an entry form and pop it into the post along with a cheque tomorrow... This will be my first calender event of the year... looking forward to rocking up to the caff in Stirling on my bike to refuel... I have been there a couple of times before on my way home from munro bagging trips but this will be a first in a cycling capacity... What's the parking like at the start as I plan to drive up from Newcastle early doors on the morning of the ride?

Bairn Again

« Reply #31 on: 11 January, 2011, 09:49:10 pm »
I plan to fill in an entry form and pop it into the post along with a cheque tomorrow... This will be my first calender event of the year... looking forward to rocking up to the caff in Stirling on my bike to refuel... I have been there a couple of times before on my way home from munro bagging trips but this will be a first in a cycling capacity... What's the parking like at the start as I plan to drive up from Newcastle early doors on the morning of the ride?

free car park opposite event HQ  :thumbsup:

Bairn Again

« Reply #32 on: 12 January, 2011, 12:22:44 pm »
Quick update Weds 12th Jan…..

The postal backlog looks to be clearing and a steady flow of entries is coming in, certainly enough to use the hall before and after and to allow an unlimited field.  The Zumba class will sadly have to go elsewhere. 

I had planned on doing a ride to check the routesheet this weekend, but looking at the weather forecast I’ll probably not bother.     

All entries will be acknowledged by e-mail [if an address is supplied] and once finalised the routesheet will also be e-mailed.

aptstarfish

« Reply #33 on: 12 January, 2011, 12:44:52 pm »
Sounds good YLG

GlasgowDave

• Inside I'm smiling
    • Flickr Audax Group
« Reply #34 on: 12 January, 2011, 06:04:10 pm »
cheque book discovered, entry in the post.

Dave
it takes a special talent to miss out on the Midnight Madness by sleeping in...

« Reply #35 on: 14 January, 2011, 04:45:28 pm »
Entry printed, cheque written. Just need to find some stamps now.
Weather forecast for the weekend?
It's character building verging on epic.

« Reply #36 on: 14 January, 2011, 11:10:23 pm »
Add one more entry from Glasgow- space in car for another from Southside if needed

« Reply #37 on: 15 January, 2011, 08:59:40 am »
Does it look like a big field, then?

I'm interested to experience ravening hordes of PBP qualifiers this year but suspect that might be more of a southerly phenomenon...

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #38 on: 15 January, 2011, 09:57:55 am »

I'm interested to experience ravening hordes of PBP qualifiers this year but suspect that might be more of a southerly phenomenon...

The biggest field you'll experience in Scotland will be the Tour of East Lothian which is usually over 100 but this is still not hoards.

recumbentim

• Only 6 SR,s No hyper yet
« Reply #39 on: 15 January, 2011, 11:30:11 am »
Entry in post.  Will be phoning my GPS guru soon so I can get maps working.
Two Recumbents is good , suppose 3 or 4 would be" hoards".
Will I get round a 200 ,  8 weeks off recumbent , might get out tommorow.

Bairn Again

« Reply #40 on: 15 January, 2011, 09:59:20 pm »

Well theres 26 so far and expect almost 40 entries by the time were done.  I think that will make it quite a big field for a 200 in Alba.  Given increased revenues Im hoping to also secure the shiny new village hall in St David's, possibly with an  Ultra Randonneur to serve you tea.  Raving hoardes?  Thats probably half correct.   ;) 

Wothill

• over the hills and far away
« Reply #41 on: 15 January, 2011, 10:15:47 pm »
I’ve received 3 entries so far – I think the only forumite among those is bodach.

You should have mine too but you may not have seen through my disguise. Mind you there are only two other regular recumbent riders on your events.

Alf

valkyrie

• West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #42 on: 16 January, 2011, 07:19:40 pm »
  Given increased revenues Im hoping to also secure the shiny new village hall in St David's, possibly with an  Ultra Randonneur to serve you tea.  Raving hoardes?  Thats probably half correct.   ;) 

Given that you're Head of Pastry Based Snacks and that this Ultra Randonneur also has a fine reputation with regards to Pastry Provision, I'm looking forward to the debates that will need to take place: steak v. mince & onion, short v. flaky.  :P

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #43 on: 16 January, 2011, 08:55:24 pm »
  Given increased revenues Im hoping to also secure the shiny new village hall in St David's, possibly with an  Ultra Randonneur to serve you tea.  Raving hoardes?  Thats probably half correct.   ;) 

Given that you're Head of Pastry Based Snacks and that this Ultra Randonneur also has a fine reputation with regards to Pastry Provision, I'm looking forward to the debates that will need to take place: steak v. mince & onion, short v. flaky.  :P

I was hoping that you'd started a bit of an arms race with the 3 Glens home baking.  I'm hoping for 10 different types of tray bakes, multiple cake loafs and muffins a plenty :)

Bairn Again

« Reply #44 on: 16 January, 2011, 10:21:38 pm »
I realised yesterday that if I didnt ride this today, there would be no opportunity for an organisers routecheck ride before the event.  What a fun day Ive had - "well ventilated" I think Cyclops once called it.  I left EH12 at 7.30 - Forth Road Bridge was literally shaking in the SW wind.  Rapid wind assisted progress was halted by a road closed sign at the top of Glenfarg village. Id been passed by a fire engine in Milnathort - as it turned out there was flooding + a minor landslip + a significant treefall which had caused the bother.  Still - no cars!   I imagine that the road will be cosed to cars by the time the calendar event comes round - the road signs and the fence at the Bein Inn were almost in the river, although Im not sure how parking a fire engine right next to it is likley to help.  I was hoping for a fire to heat me up.  Anyhow safe passage to Perth was rewarded with a hot breakfast before the hard 40k in the wind tunnel to Comrie.  Id decided to stop in St Davids anyway to scope out their new village hall , just as well as (1) I was totally cabbaged after the 20k from Perth and (2) I had a p*nct*r*.  The hall is like one of those football stadia in 3rd world countries, theres nothing else nearby, just this HBFO structure with car park attached.  I christened their vestible with a tube change.  I checked the tyre for any thorns etc but all I could determine was that they tyre was completely manky.  After getting a bit lost shortly after St Davids by a T junction that either (i) shouldnt have been there or (ii) should have been on my draft routesheet, more wind tunnel experiments were conducted in the stretch to Comrie where I was quite pleased to establish that the 40k from Perth had taken just 2 and a half hours including the p*nct*r* stop.  Coffee and cake here then up over the moor where conditions varied.  One minute I was hardly pedalling and doing 24kph then the next was straining every sinew in my body to reach walking pace.  Could have been worse though.  The stretch to Dunblane via KInbuck was right into the teeth of it and my brothers house at barbush rounabout and the railway station were tempting.  My spirits were raised by a round of applause from 4 youths, which may have been sincere or ironic Im not sure but I did apprecaite it either way.  When I started to turn eastwards at BoA the strong breeze behind my right shoulder helped hugely.  I passed (I think) Simon Grove going the other way nr Stirling Uni about 3.30pm but not many cyclists were out at all - funny that.  Correiris was a god send and I spent 20 mins there and I noticed I was getting funny looks from the normal customers and the manager asked if I was OK.  Fine, just fine son.  With the wind, floods, rain and cold, it was very much like our summer trip to Germany last August.   :-\   Traffic was bad on the stretch before the first roundabout after Causewayhead, then another brief spell with a buffeting into the breeze (although by this stage it was easing off to a tornado and a mysterious object in the sky giving light had appeared).  Once pointing east for the final time twas a scoosh, easy pedalling still resulted in 25kph+ and the sky was clear and now well lit by a full-ish moon.  The finish receipt said 18.40, with a 7.30 start, my longest 200k in a while, but it was pretty tough.  Theres no way the weather will be this bad for the calendar event, so I hope you all appreciate my sacrifice.   ;)

A few tweaks are required the routesheet - not least of all the mystery T junction after St Davids.  The stretch between here and Perth was I think a new one on me, although Ive ridden part on the Kingdom 400.  The tweak to go this way rather than Harrietfield changes the character of the ride and although theres main road stretches (esp in the last 50k) it felt quite laney, the road closure in Glenfarg added to that I suppose.  There was much debris on the roads - big stones, branches etc as well as the ad hoc rivers.  Shortly after perth there was two instances where fine red soil from the fields had been washed over the road and had partially dried out, which resulted in a new experience for me - beach audaxing - with the front wheel snow ploughing all over the place at about 4mph.

I took some pics - will post a few when I get round to uploading.

G

ps - if anybody can provide the lowdown on the Glenfarg road situ between now and 6 Feb, would be appreciated.    

valkyrie

• West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #45 on: 16 January, 2011, 10:26:57 pm »
Jings, sounds a pretty full-on day! Makes me feel a bit guilty that after listening to the wind all night I just turned over this morning and had a lie-in. Still not been on the road since the 7th of November, which is a loooooooonnnnnnng time off the bike.

« Reply #46 on: 17 January, 2011, 01:54:31 pm »
Not remembering the area at all (despite riding this as a calendar event in 09) I'm slightly confused. When you say laney due to closure by Glenfarg - did you get to Bridge of Earn via the lane following the motorway, as opposed to the B969/A912?

Actually that looks quite good from both a map & streetcar point of view, although it'll surely be lumpier and rougher than the A912.

Three weeks to get my bike roadworthy from "on the trainer with the minimum parts required to make the pedals go around"...

« Reply #47 on: 17 January, 2011, 04:59:12 pm »
I'll keep an eye on the Glenfarg situation but shouldn't be a problem if its closed. You can bypass Bein inn by turning left about 1k after glenfarg signed for Wicks o' Baiglie and following this lane to rejoin your route at instruction R for Dron at 58k. It is a decent lane and after a wee climb at the start a flying descent to rejoin your route.
From the Hillfoots to the hilltops

Bairn Again

« Reply #48 on: 17 January, 2011, 05:19:24 pm »
I'll keep an eye on the Glenfarg situation but shouldn't be a problem if its closed. You can bypass Bein inn by turning left about 1k after glenfarg signed for Wicks o' Baiglie and following this lane to rejoin your route at instruction R for Dron at 58k. It is a decent lane and after a wee climb at the start a flying descent to rejoin your route.

Much appreciated.  Just had a look on streetview and this is exactly where the "road closed" sign was.  Ive never used that wee road but its a tailor made plan B.

Ta

G. 

« Reply #49 on: 17 January, 2011, 11:17:53 pm »
A good effort yesterday Mr G.  I was another one of those who failed to experience the strong winds and floods, so you have my admiration.
I can also report that my entry is finally in the post to you.