Author Topic: Mull of Kintyre 600km. Friday 1st July - Inverkeithing 9pm.  (Read 21989 times)

Re: Mull of Kintyre 600km. Friday 1st July - Inverkeithing 9pm.
« Reply #75 on: 03 July, 2011, 10:10:20 pm »
we were all so sleepy we opted for 30 mins flat out on the benches in the harbour where they were setting up for the days festivities - at 9am it was thankfully very warm, it could have been skiathos town not Tarbert.    

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #76 on: 03 July, 2011, 10:59:38 pm »
we were all so sleepy we opted for 30 mins flat out on the benches in the harbour where they were setting up for the days festivities - at 9am it was thankfully very warm, it could have been skiathos town not Tarbert.   

Audax Ecosse riders are so hard they don't need anything as fancy as a bus shelter.  Any bench will do.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #77 on: 03 July, 2011, 11:07:36 pm »

Audax Ecosse riders are so hard they don't need anything as fancy as a bus shelter.  Any bench will do.

Scottish disabled toilets are abit Spartan.

« Reply #78 on: 04 July, 2011, 06:36:00 am »
A wonderful route, in perfect weather (albeit a bit chilly on Saturday morning) with great scenery and riding companions - I think that was probably just about the most enjoyable audax I have done.   

Particular thanks to Graeme for putting it on, for trying the 9pm start which added an extra twist of interest and PBP preparation, and for the company for most of the route.   Thanks also to Neilmc and Captain Zep for picking me up after I'd fallen off the back of the fast group on the first climb and company thereafter - including on the heaven-sent benches in Tarbert and in the Inverary phone box.  At Inverary I did briefly consider murdering Captain Zep so I could steal his overshoes!

I loved the the 'long and winding road' down the east coast of Kintyre - couldn't resist giving this a bit of a lash as it was about the most fun bit of road I've ridden in a long time.  Must get round to counting the chevrons but I did spot last night that one of the hills had three.

Other particular highlights I recall included:

- Lots of the smaller towns and villages (including Tarbert with the benches), Inverary and also Campbeltown and Oban - which all looked great in the sunshine and with the yachts and fishing boats bobbing in the harbour.   Kept having to remind myself I wasn't in Greece. 

- The scenery in the sunset riding from Oban back to Dalmally.  Thankfully this was an easy section after the tough ride up to Oban and Graeme and I were able to knock it off fairly quickly to get to Dalmally before midnight.  Having the beautiful sea and mountain views in the golden sunlight helped keep the spirits up!

- Loch Earn - very pretty with the morning mist hanging over it - from the descent to the head right to the end

For those who are interested, the climbing stats from my Garmin (with elevation correction on) are a total climb of 4976m.  Usual health warnings apply to that so I would call it about 5000m of climbing.

« Reply #79 on: 04 July, 2011, 08:20:59 am »
I did briefly consider murdering Captain Zep

I think we have all been there at some point  ;D ;D

Bairn Again

« Reply #80 on: 04 July, 2011, 09:21:01 am »
.....Must get round to counting the chevrons but I did spot last night that one of the hills had three.......

audax ecosse lore says that Duncan Peet (an organiser of yesteryear) devised a route which was very similar to this.  He was going to call it "the Apache 600" on account of all the arrows. :D

Dont think it ever went ahead as it was universally accepted at the time that it was way too hard a route for a 600. 

OK I made the last bit up  ;)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #81 on: 04 July, 2011, 10:36:48 am »
I had an attack of the dozies on my 4 mile commute this morning  ;)

« Reply #82 on: 04 July, 2011, 10:56:32 am »
Can't add much more to what's already been written.
After all the could wet and windy PBP qualifiers this turned out to be the perfect audax.
Weather beyond expectation.
I've never cycled on the Mull of Kintyre before and found the scenery spectacular. Eventually found the climbing a bit tedious en-route to Campbeltown  and pulled over and dozed off half way up a long hill at Peniver, not knowing that from there on the climbing eased off ending in fine descent to the turning point and lunch break. I preferred the long  climbs and descents experienced later between Loch Gilphead and Oban, seems to suit my legs better.
I succumed to the dozies at Loch Awe after my 3rd doze of pro plus proved ineffective. Put on midge hood and had half an hour snooze before going on to the hall at Dalmally for another couple of hours.
At daybreak on both days the temp. dropped to 4 C and the early morning mists lying in the low ground afforded views that you would only ever see on Audaxes. It was quite thick coming down Glen Ogle when suddenly the sun appeared and the vista just opened up in front of me. Heading towards Comrie I could have killed for a bacon roll but had to settle for a cold sausage roll and an iron bru instead. I faffed about a bit on the last section taking off the longs etc and slapping on the sun block.

Got back to Inverkeithing at around 11:45 where would you believe it some wee b*****r pinched the bottle of water i'd just bought at the coop. I was coming down the slip way to the station car park and had to brake for a car and a bunch of youngsters. I heard a thud as the bottle fell out on to the road and it was gone, nae sign of it or them, the amused look on the face of a  driver in a parked car said it all.  :-\  You have to be on your guard in Fife :)

Thanks to Mr Wyllie for organising yet another successful  event and for the welcome break at Dalamally hall.

« Reply #83 on: 04 July, 2011, 02:25:01 pm »
Many thanks to Graeme for organising this fantastic ride.

For many years I have wanted to visit Kintyre, so I was delighted to be able to go there on an Audax ride. The evening start meant that it would also be a good opportunity to find out how I would cope with two nights of sleep deprivation.

After riding at a reasonable pace to Comrie, I went through a slow patch for a few hours, such that I began to wonder for the first time ever on an Audax ride whether I was going to finish in time. As well as being good physical training, the ride provided a good opportunity to brush up on my mental arithmetic, by recalculating every few km the amount of time in hand!

Just before Kennacraig, I spotted the first of our riders coming the other way. It was slightly disillusioning to think that in the time that I had taken to ride 233km, he had done an additional 100km!

The road down the eastern side of the Kintyre peninsular was tough, but absolutely glorious, with fantastic views. I had brought a camera with me, but with less than two hours in hand, I didn’t feel I could spare the time to stop for photographs. But I intend to go back some time to do a slower ride and fully appreciate the scenery, and the picturesque towns of Inveraray, Tarbert and Campbeltown.

I arrived in Oban at pub emptying time, and was relieved to get through without any hassle. However, some time later I was passing through a small village just as a group of rowdies spilled out of a pub onto the road. One of them ran across the road screaming at me, and then another tried to push me off. Luckily no harm was done and I think it was more a case of high spirits than malice.

I reached the hall at Dalmally just before 2.30am, and was pleased to see several bikes in the foyer. I toyed with idea of sleeping there for half an hour or so, but decided to press on. However, first there was the small matter of the info control question. So in one of those bizarre moments that only occur on Audax rides, there I was at 2.30am, holding my bike light against the building to try to see the colour of the walls!

Heading out of Dalmally, progress at first was slow as I was struggling to stay awake and had to keep stopping, but I was pleased when the riders who had been sleeping in Dalmally caught up with me. The cheerful conversation helped me to become alert again, and good progress was made to Comrie.

I then took it easy for the last section and arrived back at Inverkeithing with an hour to spare, very tired, but very happy.

« Reply #84 on: 04 July, 2011, 09:41:35 pm »
Just another vote for great weekend of cycling, a lot of it on roads I use on the west coast and thankfully mother nature was kind enough to let you all enjoy it in all its splendour ( just hope the weather is as good for my event on the 17th).
Thanks to Valkyrie ,Pingu, Bodach, otherdave and Scott for the company during the ride and of course YLG for putting on the event
 Cheers
Roberto

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #85 on: 04 July, 2011, 10:42:41 pm »
For those who are interested, the climbing stats from my Garmin (with elevation correction on) are a total climb of 4976m.  Usual health warnings apply to that so I would call it about 5000m of climbing.

My Garmin gave it 5755m - you must have found a shortcut!
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

« Reply #86 on: 04 July, 2011, 11:27:36 pm »

You mean the tunnel...?
;-)

Bairn Again

« Reply #87 on: 05 July, 2011, 10:09:09 am »

You mean the tunnel...?
;-)

This one?  ScottishPower: Cruachan Visitor Centre

Bairn Again

« Reply #88 on: 08 July, 2011, 08:11:00 am »
Thanks for getting the cards back to me so quickly.   :thumbsup:

There were a round dozen (dirty?) finishers in the end. 

Half the field finished together in just under 32 hrs with the rest in a more civilized spread over 37 - 39 hrs.

The cards have now gone for validation. 

G. 

« Reply #89 on: 08 July, 2011, 09:08:51 am »
Well done YLG -

just decoded your new user name as

I Gotcha Rash

Bairn Again

« Reply #90 on: 08 July, 2011, 12:39:11 pm »
Well done YLG -

just decoded your new user name as

I Gotcha Rash

"A shag or itch"     :o

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #91 on: 08 July, 2011, 12:45:25 pm »
You do realise that everyone will keep calling you Y Lee G anyway? Even though Achari Gosht is one of my favourite curries.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

Bairn Again

« Reply #92 on: 31 July, 2011, 02:57:30 pm »
Brevet cards have been posted out today.