Author Topic: Moulin Moors or Cream Scone?  (Read 8543 times)

Moulin Moors or Cream Scone?
« on: 15 February, 2011, 09:27:46 pm »
After really enjoying flogging round the Tour of East Lothian on Sunday - I worked out that I was not working on the weekend of 12/13 March.

My possibly warped mind turned to audaxing and saw that there were two fine looking events coming out of the same town on the same day (details below)

I had a look at the route of the Moulin 150k and it looks suitably 'scenic'.

I couldn't find a route for the Cream Scone 100k so can't work out how ahem 'scenic' it is?

So fine and learned folk - thoughts?

Sat 12 Mar 2011
    150km    09:00 from Forfar, Leisure Centre    Moulin Moors 150
                BP  £4.00    David Husband  Husband
    100km    09:00 from Lochside Leisure Centre, Forfar    Cream Scone
                BP  £4.00    Ron  Harrow
Keep on keeping on.

Re: Moulin Moors or Cream Scone?
« Reply #1 on: 15 February, 2011, 09:43:11 pm »
Sorry I cant help you decide re the Sat as havent tried either of these, but why not hang around for the Sunday too for the Glen Isla 100K  ;)
We're planning on attending, have done it once before and it was scenic in a non Audax sense, just one killer hill I remember (but time could be playing tricks)

Rimnod

« Reply #2 on: 15 February, 2011, 09:52:17 pm »
I've got a day pass for the Sat so I'm considering nominating myself to carry the lantern rouge on the 150km.

GlasgowDave

• Inside I'm smiling
    • Flickr Audax Group
« Reply #3 on: 15 February, 2011, 09:54:14 pm »
A marked lack of lumps on the Cream Scone...

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/11-402-Cream-Scone

I'm doing it, not sure if I'm going to do the Glen Isla on the Sunday.

Dave
it takes a special talent to miss out on the Midnight Madness by sleeping in...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 15 February, 2011, 09:57:53 pm »
I've got a day pass for the Sat so I'm considering nominating myself to carry the lantern rouge on the 150km.
Don't be daft, that'll be my job.
Mrs Pingu: longest ride since November - 7km.  :facepalm:
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Rimnod

« Reply #5 on: 15 February, 2011, 10:02:03 pm »
If you had seen the state of me on the ToEL you would now just be nodding your head knowledgably   ;D

« Reply #6 on: 16 February, 2011, 09:17:37 am »
The Moulin Moors looks the job! Reverse of the Pitlochry 150. I've signed up for the Cream Scone though. Don't know why? I think it was available on the calendar before the Moulin Moors.
Weather forecast for the weekend?
It's character building verging on epic.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #7 on: 16 February, 2011, 12:38:52 pm »
The reverse........thinks.....but that means that I can have a pint at the Moulin Inn after coming down the big hill then, rather than having to pass it, pint-less, while dragging my sorry ass past it on the way up the big hill!  :P :P

« Reply #8 on: 16 February, 2011, 12:54:41 pm »
The reverse........thinks.....but that means that I can have a pint at the Moulin Inn after coming down the big hill then, rather than having to pass it, pint-less, while dragging my sorry ass past it on the way up the big hill!  :P :P

Indeed. Pint followed by a fairly flat ride back to Forfar.

« Reply #9 on: 16 February, 2011, 01:12:22 pm »
That's a hilly first half of the ride though! The climb to the top of the Moulin from the other side is a long one. Not as steep as the other way though I suppose.

Rimnod

recumbentim

• Only 6 SR,s No hyper yet
« Reply #11 on: 16 February, 2011, 02:12:27 pm »
Entered moulin moors 150 as ECE from Blairgowrie , if thats ok audave?
Great , on line entry for both the 150 and the extention.
I see we get the scenic route round Mount Blair?

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #12 on: 16 February, 2011, 02:19:15 pm »
I'm not free that weekend, but if I was I'd be doing the Moulin. It's a lovely route, the climb ain't too bad in that direction but the descent is brilliant fun. The Cream Scone I've never done but it looks a bit dull.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

Bairn Again

« Reply #13 on: 16 February, 2011, 02:54:59 pm »
Interesting….

I’m planning on a “route & control check” ride of the Mull It Over 300 on Saturday 12th  March, staying Saturday night in Ft William.

If I was a proper audax rider I would swing by Forfar in my wee hire car and do the Glen Isla 100k the following day.

Is anybody doing that race, I mean ride,  on Sunday 13th? 

Where does it go then?  Is it simply Forfar – Glenisla – Forfar? 

Will there be bridies? 

Is the weekend of 12/13 March Forfar’s answer to the Semaine Federale?

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #14 on: 16 February, 2011, 03:00:27 pm »
Where does it go then?  Is it simply Forfar – Glenisla – Forfar?

Not quite, here's the route as it was in 2009: Bicycle Path - Glen Isla 100k Audax at Bikely.com

Forfar-Alyth-Kirkmichael-Glen Isla-Forfar

« Reply #15 on: 16 February, 2011, 04:14:50 pm »
Ariadne, Malandro and I are doing the ride on the Sunday.
This route was my second ever Audax, much more fun that the first one (ToEL)

The Saturday ones look great too, but we're out on the Friday night and I think an early rise on Sat is unlikely  ::-)

« Reply #16 on: 16 February, 2011, 05:25:57 pm »
I'm in a quandry - all the rides look more than okay.

Moulin is fave at the mo' - scenic but not stupidly so. Was maybe worried that i wouldn't be finished in daylight but maybe over-worrying that. It looks like it'll be dusk at 6ish. The last 165k I did took eight hours with 7 hours riding. (Three Glens Explorer) so I would hope to get back before dark o'clock.

Cream Scone - might be a nice ride but not too taxing - after cramping quad on TOEL coming out of Haddington maybe no bad thing.

Glen Isla - looks really good but on a Sunday - was more thinking of Saturday but ....

Decisions - decisions.

Thanks for everyone's input and I will see some of you on one of them no doubt.
Keep on keeping on.

Scoosh

• Happy velocouchiste
« Reply #17 on: 16 February, 2011, 07:08:09 pm »
I'm in a quandry - all the rides look more than okay.

Moulin is fave at the mo' - scenic but not stupidly so. Was maybe worried that i wouldn't be finished in daylight but maybe over-worrying that. It looks like it'll be dusk at 6ish. The last 165k I did took eight hours with 7 hours riding. (Three Glens Explorer) so I would hope to get back before dark o'clock.

Cream Scone - might be a nice ride but not too taxing - after cramping quad on TOEL coming out of Haddington maybe no bad thing.

Glen Isla - looks really good but on a Sunday - was more thinking of Saturday but ....

Decisions - decisions.

Thanks for everyone's input and I will see some of you on one of them no doubt.

Sometimes the obvious is too obvious  ::-)

Saturday - Moulin Mearns 150 ... as a warm-up for ....

Sunday - Glen Isla 100

Simples *  :)
'It takes a wonderful brain and exquisite senses to produce a few stupid ideas'
~ George Santayana

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #18 on: 16 February, 2011, 09:04:52 pm »
That's what we did in 2009 (though it was the Pitlochry 150). I don't know if Mrs P would be up for it this year.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #19 on: 16 February, 2011, 09:51:20 pm »
Mrs P doesn't even know if she's going to be in a fit enough state to do the 150 on it's own yet :(

« Reply #20 on: 16 February, 2011, 10:19:47 pm »
Mrs P doesn't even know if she's going to be in a fit enough state to do the 150 on it's own yet :(

Och, you'll be fine - you might not have been cycling much but you've been down the gym every second day, working out like a demon. Or so I gather :-)

Hope you can do it - it'll be fun. Corvine's coming too - his first audax since a horrible ToEL years ago.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #21 on: 16 February, 2011, 10:29:12 pm »
Pingu said if I don't do the 150 I won't get a pint at the Moulin..... has he forgotten we haz beer in Aberdeen? ;)

« Reply #22 on: 16 February, 2011, 11:24:27 pm »

Sometimes the obvious is too obvious  ::-)

Saturday - Moulin Mearns 150 ... as a warm-up for ....

Sunday - Glen Isla 100

Simples *  :)
[/quote]

I think Mrs Gavster might object to me being away two days - having three children including seven month twins is putting a dampner on cycling time :-)

Anyway - decision made  - Moulin it is. Last two audaxes have been pishing with rain so I hope the rain gods are better this time.
Keep on keeping on.

The Mechanic

« Reply #23 on: 17 February, 2011, 09:20:14 am »
I am still struggling to find some form and get my weight down since my disasterous (healthwise) 2010.  so it's the the Cream Scone for me.   I think this is "Scone the Flat Way" done the other way.  It's a bit of a backwards weekend.

I have entered the Dee Lechtable on 16th April so this is a tester to see if I will be capable of riding any distance never mind getting over all those hills in April. Don't think I am quite ready for the Moulin just yet though.  Also, day pass only so no Sunday jaunt for me.

If I can get round the Dee L in a reasonable time I am thinking of giving the Snow Roads another go (failed miserably last time).  If I manage that I might go for a SR during the rest of the year.  There, I've said it now.  You can all blow raspberries when I fail to come up with the goods. :thumbsup:

jimbhoy

« Reply #24 on: 17 February, 2011, 11:52:00 am »
Also quite fancy this (150) hard or easy ? is it worth getting train from Weegie to Arbroath at stupid o'clock ? decisions decisions.