Author Topic: PBP - Gloves for extreme distances  (Read 13166 times)

Re: PBP - Gloves for extreme distances
« Reply #50 on: 04 May, 2011, 02:11:50 pm »
Can you set up to achieve this? Forearm resting on the bar.

I do adopt such a position at times, as one of the options available from a conventional dropped 'bar, although as part of the bike-fitting exercise, I ended up with drops that are not only shallow drop but also short reach (to reduce stress on my back, which is another issue - getting old and falling apart does present a variety of problems!) This means there is less forward reaching 'bar on which to rest the forearm. Also of course, the tri-bars have proved to be the best resolution by far for me.

For PBP however, if I do go for it, some experimentation is clearly called for ..................

« Reply #51 on: 04 May, 2011, 03:19:58 pm »
I am going to try a pair od Knog Orca's since they are so cheap  ;D
I've also ordered some Specialized competition ones because I like the look of them too.
Sounds like one solution for uber-long rides is to have more than 1 pair with me so I can change if anything gets uncomfortable! I would never have thought of this, so thanks for the advice  ;D

I might try the SBG's the pad looks exactly where my problems appear to be. Thanks for the advice all, even a little relief is progress.
When you're too tired to continue you fall off                            

200(7) 300(4) 400(4) 600(3) 1200(1) 1400(1)

simonp

« Reply #52 on: 09 May, 2011, 04:46:35 pm »
I decided to get some of these Rapha ones after reading this thread, because my Endura ones have rubbish velcro that no longer works.

I did the measurements, and got a small pair.  I was worried they were very tight - in particular the seam between the fingers was digging into the flesh between the fingers on my left hand, and it seemed to be cutting off the blood supply a bit.

Fortunately, they have already improved since they arrived on Thursday, despite not having done much cycling over the weekend, and I think it'll be ok.  Hopefully they'll be fully broken in by the weekend. :)

The padding is much more comprehensive than I've seen on other gloves, I'm now regretting not having got some before.  I got the black ones, and have managed to mark them with something white when visiting the polling station on Thursday.   :facepalm:

They have a bit of padding on the first finger which seems to be exactly where I've got a bit of worn skin from the bars.  nice.

« Reply #53 on: 09 May, 2011, 05:00:17 pm »
I decided to get some of these Rapha ones after reading this thread, because my Endura ones have rubbish velcro that no longer works.

I did the measurements, and got a small pair.  I was worried they were very tight - in particular the seam between the fingers was digging into the flesh between the fingers on my left hand, and it seemed to be cutting off the blood supply a bit.

Fortunately, they have already improved since they arrived on Thursday, despite not having done much cycling over the weekend, and I think it'll be ok.  Hopefully they'll be fully broken in by the weekend. :)

The padding is much more comprehensive than I've seen on other gloves, I'm now regretting not having got some before.  I got the black ones, and have managed to mark them with something white when visiting the polling station on Thursday.   :facepalm:

They have a bit of padding on the first finger which seems to be exactly where I've got a bit of worn skin from the bars.  nice.

Yikes you're really making me want to order a pair of these too now! And in white too!!  :o
Must_not_hit_buy_button  :facepalm:

simonp

« Reply #54 on: 09 May, 2011, 05:24:08 pm »

Yikes you're really making me want to order a pair of these too now! And in white too!!  :o
Must_not_hit_buy_button  :facepalm:

Maybe wait til I've been round a 600k and given them a proper test.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #55 on: 09 May, 2011, 08:58:06 pm »
the trick though is remembering to do this before touching anything filthy or getting the wheel off  ;D
A lesson learnt on the Wye Wednesday perchance?
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #56 on: 09 May, 2011, 09:32:25 pm »
the trick though is remembering to do this before touching anything filthy or getting the wheel off  ;D
A lesson learnt on the Wye Wednesday perchance?

Oh I have done it more than once, e.g. chain fallen off and I forget to put glove on before putting it back on  :facepalm:
I reckon a £100 pair of Rapha goatskin gloves could crystalise my thoughts nicely though  ;D

rottenhat

• Audax Irlande
    • Audax Ireland
« Reply #57 on: 10 May, 2011, 10:59:00 am »
Maybe wait til I've been round a 600k and given them a proper test.

Maybe wait until you've worn them in the rain...I had a pair and they leached black dye like crazy when they got wet. I found out after I had destroyed them that you're also expected to handwash them after every long ride (which presumably equals pretty much every ride for most of us) - otherwise your sweat will damage the leather and the stitching.

Aside from that, I loved them.

simonp

« Reply #58 on: 10 May, 2011, 11:01:10 am »
I need some of that Chelsea leather food they recommend.

« Reply #59 on: 10 May, 2011, 11:05:24 am »
I need some of that Chelsea leather food they recommend.

You should only use it as part of a balanced diet.

« Reply #60 on: 10 May, 2011, 11:06:43 am »
But seriously: I think people may be disappointed if they think a pair of mitts is going to solve all their problems.

« Reply #61 on: 10 May, 2011, 10:47:01 pm »
dont wear gloves,your hand will be ok i stopped wearing trackmitts in 1995!!
 didnt wear gloves my last 5 1000km+ rides.

When I started out I did not wear mitts until I ended up with a trapped Ulner nerve which curled my little finger up and put it out of commission for a month. I have worn mitts ever since. Oh and I have the use of my finger back.
O'LEL what have I done!

« Reply #62 on: 10 May, 2011, 10:50:34 pm »
I wish it was my little finger instead that was knackered right now, I need my index finger to change gear :(

simonp

« Reply #63 on: 10 May, 2011, 10:51:45 pm »
I wish it was my little finger instead that was knackered right now, I need my index finger to change gear :(

Still no joy?

« Reply #64 on: 10 May, 2011, 10:53:56 pm »

Still no joy?

Thumb and forefinger are not so numb but still have pins and needles. When I tried to unscrew a milk carton lid earlier a kind of electric shock shot up my hand. I'm trying to rest it, took the dogs out on the bike and rode 1 handed today!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #65 on: 10 May, 2011, 10:56:21 pm »
I have a downtube-shifters bike that's not been used much since the 07 ride ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles