Author Topic: Kingdom Come 400km - Crossgates, 21.00, Fri 29th July 2011 - CANCELLED  (Read 16773 times)

Tinez

• a Surly man
Controls should be OK for any time of start. F

Magic. Cheers Neil

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
Does anyone gave a GPX file for this. I will be riding but will be doing a GPS style DIY.

I am starting to look forward to this now.
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
Controls should be OK for any time of start. From recollection I think there is an info at Stanley, all the others are receipts in towns. During the night we'll need to get cash machine receipts in Auchterarder, Forfar & Montrose.
You might get to Auchterarder in time for the kebab shop still to be open.

In Forfar, the Shell petrol station on Queenswell Road, here is open 24hrs, but you may have to sit on the logs outside in the early hours. It has the usual petrol station selection of fine dining options.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
You might get to Auchterarder in time for the kebab shop still to be open.

Good point Eck. It'll be a team time trial up Glendevon then, to make sure we're in time for a large Doner each :thumbsup: Hope it goes down better than the last time you and me eat in the chippie/kebab shop in Montrose :sick:
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
I have found a gpx on bikely.com http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Kingdom-Come is this the route that will be followed?

Posted by Eck.

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
I appear to have lost my route sheet (if I was posted one). If someone has a copy they could mail me then I would be grateful.

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
  :hand: A wee warning to those of you thinking of doing this as a perm, especially if you're planning a night-time start.
There's a new and potentially dangerous traffic calming feature as you approach the Kinlcaven bridge over the Tay, shortly before the T junction at the A93 here

The bridge itself is quite narrow and they have built a chicane on the left side of the road as you approach the bridge to slow traffic before it goes on to the bridge. The approach to the bridge is downhill and through a series of bends - it would be easy to hit the kerb in the dark. I nearly hit it today, in broad daylight.  :facepalm:

UPDATE: The Moulin Moors audax went over here yesterday: what was an unmarked kerb now has bollards round it, and traffic lights are being installed.

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
I have found a gpx on bikely.com http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Kingdom-Come is this the route that will be followed?

Posted by Eck.
BB, that's a bit rough and ready, and follows the official route over Knockhill: valkyrie has a better way. Also, the bit from the Slug road to Banchory isn't right.
I can do a "cleaner" route if you like?

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
Put me down for this one.  I might as well use the card I've got sitting in my drawer.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club

Posted by Eck.
BB, that's a bit rough and ready, and follows the official route over Knockhill: valkyrie has a better way. Also, the bit from the Slug road to Banchory isn't right.

That would be great a better gpx.

Looking forward to this now.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'

Posted by Eck.

PM me your email address and I'll send you a gpx track of the route.

Tinez

• a Surly man

Posted by Eck.

PM me your email address and I'll send you a gpx track of the route.

can you email it to me too please Kev.

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC

Chaps,
Got this in an email earlier today from Lorraine, Kingdom Come organiser:
maybe you could pass on this info and clear up a few things.

The 24Hour garage at the services near Crossgates is still operating 24 hours.
Better to park on the road opposite the garage and not at the rear.
I have had 6 entries in the last week and am now down to 8 Brevets cards.
I understand a few riders are aiming for a 9pm start on 29th.  The bit with the hardest navigation - in the dark...?? however it's their choice.
With start at Crossgates the Controls are - Auchterarder - Stanley(info) - Montrose - Stonehaven - Ballater or Braemar - then finish at Crossgates.
There is no need for a stamp at Forfar and the route doesn't go to Brechin.
I think you've got most things covered, but maybe it helps clear up any doubts.  :thumbsup:

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
I understand a few riders are aiming for a 9pm start on 29th.  The bit with the hardest navigation - in the dark...?? however it's their choice.

It'll be OK, what could possibly go wrong?  :thumbsup:

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'

In the world of GPS navigation it really isn't much of a concern.  The number of night rides where I've been on completely new roads and I just blindly follow the bleeps and arrows.

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion

In the world of GPS navigation it really isn't much of a concern.  The number of night rides where I've been on completely new roads and I just blindly follow the bleeps and arrows.

...and I'll just blindly follow Kev!
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'

...and I'll just blindly follow Kev!

Until I miss a directed turn and take you 1 mile donw the wrong road due to chatting :P

Tinez

• a Surly man
Until I miss a directed turn and take you 1 mile donw the wrong road due to chatting :P

Looking at the starters list it's gonna be dangerously similar to the EPE gruppeto of misery. So there'll be no chatting until about 6 hours in and that'll only be because a jazz mag has been found in a hedgerow.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
I'll spike your bottles with pro plus and get you all chatting.  As an aside, I know a great public loo in Kincardine O'Neil.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
Don't forget the stranger from England 8)

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'

As long as you don't mind sharing disabled toilets with a gaggle of sweaty audaxers you'll be fine.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club

As long as you don't mind sharing disabled toilets with a gaggle of sweaty audaxers you'll be fine.
I am wise in the ways of of the off piste cyclist

Back from hols today and hope to do this on the 29th assuming I am still up for cycling after the 24 with George. Will send for a card tomorrow.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
That's the navigation sorted then  :thumbsup:

recumbentim

• Only 6 SR,s No hyper yet
Might join you for this one. I am off that week  and plan to do Round Scotland 1300. May do them both if the weather permits , Ha , ha .

I would start in Blair at 6pm then join you for a while , as I would then go for a sleep stop at home at 1 am. That spilts it in to 100 and 150 miles for me , Why make it difficult , saves toliet stops and Grumpy Audaxers in Braemar--no names.

I had a go at this a couple of weeks ago same time on a sat night and you wouldn,t want to be any later entring the "Bad lands" of fife . The garage at Halbeath is open 24/7 as the guy said and there is link cash on the outside any how. I used Kevs flatter route in Fife and up the A9 form Aberuthven to Perth at 11.30 ish was quite quiet. But I know you are not all as crazy as me???.
The attempt failed as it was lassshing down when I woke at Dawn.