Author Topic: Kingdom Come 400km - Crossgates, 21.00, Fri 29th July 2011 - CANCELLED  (Read 16829 times)

Bairn Again

Im starting to write up the routesheet for this event and have got as far as , erm, the start.

is the Kingdom Services place still in operation?  I know it was in May 2009 when we did our group perm but before I go any further can anybody with local knowledge confirm?

It makes no odds to me (as I'll be heading over to Dunfermline QM by train) but Im assuming that this would be the preferred location for start/finish for those driving ie its preferable to "downtown" Crossgates.

Ive got a copy of Lorraine's perm routesheet but as I have to put in directions to the new Contrôle ravitaillement in Kirriemuir for the 2011 version, I'm going to create a new routesheet.  

Some geezer wrote about this event in Arrivee a long long time ago.  

http://www.aukweb.net/mag/H31ZA5IS__AlexPattison_Sat_Sep_13_12_45_07_2003.pdf

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: Kingdom Come 400km - Crossgates, 21.00, Fri 29th July 2012
« Reply #1 on: 19 May, 2011, 10:29:29 pm »
We'll be driving down the M90 tomorrow so I'll take a look if I remember.

ravenbait

« Reply #2 on: 19 May, 2011, 11:01:26 pm »
As far as I know it's still going, if you mean that place on the south side of the A92 before the M90 junction.

You could always phone them: 01383 840 797   

Sam

Billy Weir

« Reply #3 on: 20 May, 2011, 09:45:42 am »
Quote from: Wee fat bastard
there's something for everyone: scenic back lanes, fast, but quiet main roads, long steady climbs, scary fast descents, a great variety of scenery from seascapes to majestic highland peaks.

Amen to that.  Looking forward to this ride, which I last did as a permanent in 2007.  The 9pm start will be testing and might mean we might see the sunrise over the North Sea on the road to Stonehaven, which will be jolly.

<Edit: entry now posted and family notified that I will be "having a wee cycle ride" that weekend>

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #4 on: 20 May, 2011, 11:46:23 am »
I'm riding this. Up to see friends and I have managed to convince the wife that a little bike ride was allowed. She now realises what I plan to do and has had to have expensive wine to keep her happy.

After the ride I will be riding back to Reading in three days. Last ride of any significance before PBP.
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Bairn Again

Re: Kingdom Come 400km - Crossgates, 21.00, Fri 29th July 2011
« Reply #5 on: 22 June, 2011, 02:28:29 pm »
The final (I hope) routesheet is now available via the Auk calendar page and I plan to post hard  copies soon to those wot have entered. 

Two points to note –

The perm event has a control in Forfar.  We will have a control in Kirriemuir, at no les a venue than chez Eck.  Im sure that will provide welcome respite at 3am. 

Also, in an act of selflessness that merits our appreciation, Noodley has volunteered to do a car control at the north end of Montrose until the petrol station opens its doors at 7am.

Hats off to both. 

For those familiar with the permanent event, this means that the route for the upcoming calendar event differs from the perm version from just after Stanley until the aforementioned car control in Montrose.  Yes, it means that we go through Brechin.       

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #6 on: 22 June, 2011, 05:21:37 pm »
The final (I hope) routesheet is now available via the Auk calendar page and I plan to post hard  copies soon to those wot have entered. 

Two points to note –

The perm event has a control in Forfar.  We will have a control in Kirriemuir, at no les a venue than chez Eck.  Im sure that will provide welcome respite at 3am. 

Also, in an act of selflessness that merits our appreciation, Noodley has volunteered to do a car control at the north end of Montrose until the petrol station opens its doors at 7am.

Hats off to both. 

For those familiar with the permanent event, this means that the route for the upcoming calendar event differs from the perm version from just after Stanley until the aforementioned car control in Montrose.  Yes, it means that we go through Brechin.       

Those Angus chaps are good folk :D  I did notice when I was driving back from Aberdeen a couple of weeks ago that the Stracathro Services is 24 hours.  To show how sad I am my initial though was how could I weave that into an audax route.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #7 on: 25 June, 2011, 09:47:09 pm »

Those Angus chaps are good folk :D  I did notice when I was driving back from Aberdeen a couple of weeks ago that the Stracathro Services is 24 hours.  To show how sad I am my initial though was how could I weave that into an audax route.
"YE MAY GANG FAUR AND FARE WAUR"  ::-)
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Bairn Again

« Reply #8 on: 27 June, 2011, 08:43:07 am »
Apologies for leaving this relatively late, however this event will not now take place.

Theres too much of a clash with other commitments for me to do it justice.  Probably was always going to be a push to organise something smack in the middle of the summer holidays, and its taken until now for me to figure this out I'm afraid. 

Ive e-mailed people who had entered to let them know.  the permanent version of the event is always available.  Lorraine Brown (who organises the perm) is aware of the circumstances and has been primed that she might get some entries for the perm.

Graeme

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
That's a pity - the Kingdom Come is one of my favourite routes. If others are up for it then a wee group perm with the same start time would be fine with me.

Or even if no-one fancies doing the ride as a perm, who fancies just turning up at Eck's house at 2am and demanding bridies? :demon:
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

Tinez

• a Surly man
I'm up for doing this as a perm.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
I am travelling up to Scotland and have the return tour booked. So I am keen to ride the perm if it starts at the same time.

Steve
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
That's a pity.  I was looking forward to this but I do have a perm card sitting in my drawer.

Mr YLG, you've done an admirable job this season with all your organising and deserve a wee break before you kill yourself on PBP. 

Mr YLG, you've done an admirable job this season with all your organising and deserve a wee break before you kill yourself on PBP. 

I concur wholeheartedly  :thumbsup:

I planned to enter the ride, but was waiting to make sure that I survived the Mull of Kintyre first.  :-[ 

I'm up for doing the perm, same time or whatever suits the majority.

Z

Billy Weir

Pish.  This was my late season 400, the one and only of the year, for my SR 2011.  Holiday booked etc.

Anyone up for the permanent?  Same weekend.  Probably a 6am start from a town close to Dundee (last time I did the event, I started in Monifieth, which worked quite well.  Parked up next to Tesco's, early morning bolt up the coast, then evening spent on the fast, simple navigation through Tayside - got to Stanley at sunset).

[PS: secretly relieved, as a 9pm start was filling me with the worry of the logistics of getting from Surrey to I'keithing in a way that left me fresh enough to do the event.  Was going to have to be jolly uncivilised to my family, with the Thursday and Friday keeping unsociable hours in order to get my body clock ready).

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
In the past I've done this perm with a Perth start, heading towards Crossgates as the first control.  It means that the Deeside is the night section and navigation is very easy.  We tended to start at 10am so that we were able catch a train back from Perth in the morning.  With a 6am start you'd be getting back in the middle of the night.

valkyrie

• West Lothian Clarion
I'm still on for the 9pm start. Last ride before PBP so I might as well go with the same approach, riding into darkness and going through the night without a break. Need to get an entry off to Lorraine.

I'm definitely going to do this with a 9pm start, as that fits with the travel arrangements that I've already made. I've sent off my entry today to Lorraine.

Ian

Tinez

• a Surly man
I'm definitely still in with a preference for a start at 9pm in Inverkeithing.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
9pm start works for me to.

I will submit a 400 DIY GPS for this so I will need the town we pass through. Coming up from England I am hoping to rely on some local knowledge for the fine details of route planning :thumbsup:

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
  :hand: A wee warning to those of you thinking of doing this as a perm, especially if you're planning a night-time start.
There's a new and potentially dangerous traffic calming feature as you approach the Kinlcaven bridge over the Tay, shortly before the T junction at the A93 here

The bridge itself is quite narrow and they have built a chicane on the left side of the road as you approach the bridge to slow traffic before it goes on to the bridge. The approach to the bridge is downhill and through a series of bends - it would be easy to hit the kerb in the dark. I nearly hit it today, in broad daylight.  :facepalm:

Also, if you follow Lorriane's "proper" permanent route, this short stretch of lane going in to Coupar Angus is really badly rutted and potholed - take care in the dark!
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
I have the Saturday free so I'm up for a 9pm start on the Friday, too.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
Ok let's count the people who want to start 9pm at Crossgates -

Bianchi Boy
Pingu
Tinez
IanR
Valkyrie

Starting to look like a good group.

Tinez

• a Surly man
I got my card and routesheet through yesterday but haven't had a chance to look at the controls.

Anyone know if the controls going to work for a 9pm start old school perm or should I actually be registering this as GPS DIY?

valkyrie

• West Lothian Clarion
Controls should be OK for any time of start. From recollection I think there is an info at Stanley, all the others are receipts in towns. During the night we'll need to get cash machine receipts in Auchterarder, Forfar & Montrose.