Author Topic: To late to qualify for PBP?  (Read 13956 times)

To late to qualify for PBP?
« on: 27 May, 2011, 04:08:36 pm »
Hi

1st post, Hello to everyone, I am new to Audax, but very quickly becoming an addict….  :)

Did my fist one on 14th May (200K  Lincolnshire Cross) second one on 21st May (Moors and Wolds 400 (BRM, PBP)). Will be doing plenty more…. Expect to have my Super Randonneur soon and hoping to do End to End - Brevet Randonneur in July. (had done plenty of long distance solo cycling before I joined Audax UK….)

My question is there any way for me to qualify for PARIS-BREST-PARIS?

I know I need to complete 200K, 300K, 400K and 600K Brevets de Randonneurs Mondiaux by 17th June to qualify, but am unsure If need to complete each distance by a certain date??.

The PBP site has “recommended” dates Paris-Brest-Paris 2011

The Audax UK site has “provisional” dates The next PBP will start on 21st August, 2011

Have looked at regulations (Paris-Brest-Paris 2011) and cannot see any stipulation for dates for each distance. Are these dates enforced?

2nd complication would be no 200k BRM PBP’s left on calendar, So would have to substitute longer events for shorter one… (Is allowed according to regulations)

Know it’s tight, but could just about fit the events in before 17th July, If they counted….

Also even if I did it, any idea of the chance of quota being filled and me be refused anyway???

If only had fond Audax sooner….

Thanks
Simon

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: To late to qualify for PBP?
« Reply #1 on: 27 May, 2011, 04:20:09 pm »
You can qualify by riding 4 x 600 brevets on successive weekends, it has been done before.  Any brevet listed in the Audax UK website as PBP is a qualifier.  You could also ride BRMs in France, Belgium, Germany and other countries to collect sufficient qualifiers.

You need to look in the Paris-Brest-Paris 2011 sub-forum in the Audax and Cyclosportive section on this forum.  Lots of information there, including what I've just typed.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #2 on: 27 May, 2011, 04:53:49 pm »
The dates are guidelines. The qualifying period nominally finishes w/e 17th June though as it happens the last BRM600s in the calendar are on 18th June and AFAICT have no restrictions on number of entries, so plenty of time...

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #3 on: 27 May, 2011, 04:56:09 pm »
In theory yes you can qualify

The qualifier distances are 200km, 300km, 400km and 600km

You can substitute any qualifying ride for a longer distance

You already have a 400km BRM.  You can substitute that for your 200km

You need to do one of the 400km this weekend (or my 400km next friday).  You could substitute that for your 300km

Then the period when 400km BRM are allowed in the UK runs out.  So you have to do two 600km to cover the 400km and the 600km

Available rides include Offa's Dyke 605km from Shrewsbury on the 4th of June, there's three 600 in different parts of the UK on the 11th and four on the 18th, in different places

If that doesn't work for you then there are other options available in Europe

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #4 on: 27 May, 2011, 05:01:14 pm »
Fact: All people who start posting on YACF asking "I am new to audax, do you think I can do PBP/LEL?" end up riding!

You've been warned   8)
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #5 on: 27 May, 2011, 05:58:39 pm »
Thanks for advice,

Just entered the Llanfairpwllgwy..... erm ... the Holyhead 400 tomorrow.... ::-)

Better get route/packing sorted!!!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6 on: 27 May, 2011, 06:16:42 pm »
<post redacted>

Good luck tomorrow. Beware welsh weather (and place names).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #7 on: 28 May, 2011, 12:28:15 pm »
Hell's teeth he's serious.  

If you do it I'll buy you a pint in Paris!

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #8 on: 29 May, 2011, 09:42:44 pm »
He's very serious & if I were a betting man & actually had some money to gamble with  ;)  Well rode on the Llanfair 400k BTW :thumbsup:
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #9 on: 31 May, 2011, 11:02:50 am »
2 down two to go….  :)

Great time on Llanfair 400k despite a few wrong turns, hopeful sat nav should arrive before next event…. Nice to see a few familiar faces.  ;D

Have entered the Cambrian 600K on 4th June (just got to figure out how to get there from Nottingham for 6am start….)

Planning on doing either Marches and Mersey Roads 600K or South then North 600K on 11th June, anyone know if one is easier then the other? Derby is easy to get to but Mersey roads has sleep stop….

That leaves me spare weekend….. if things go wrong could still fit The East & West Coasts 600K on 18th. Or may be best to take rest weekend and go for this one, anyone know how it compare in difficulties to above??

Hills are my enemy at the moment; I am about 20 stones…..  :o

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #10 on: 31 May, 2011, 11:23:11 am »
Well done PizzaMan. I admire your enthusiasm & motivation so early on. If only I could do the same. I hope you make it to Paris with getting qualified.

I myself have'nt even done a 600km yet and been a member with audax for years.

Maybe next year I'll do a SR ?

Good luck with it and well done doing the 400km

John

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #11 on: 31 May, 2011, 11:33:03 am »

Planning on doing either Marches and Mersey Roads 600K or South then North 600K on 11th June, anyone know if one is easier then the other? Derby is easy to get to but Mersey roads has sleep stop….

Have a look at some threads in the Audax section for the answer to your question.  The search function is pretty good.  I'm doing the M&MR.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #12 on: 31 May, 2011, 11:43:36 am »
The Marches and Mersey roads is a pretty benign route with few major hills.
Chief cat entertainer.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #13 on: 31 May, 2011, 11:49:34 am »
Try moving this thread to the Audax section.  You'll get more info from there  :thumbsup:

I'll be riding the South then North.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #14 on: 31 May, 2011, 12:11:09 pm »
hell's teeth this guy is, indeed, serious. there are many Auks rooting for you. best of luck. you can indeed still do it, but it'll be tough - but then if it were easy everyone would do it!
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #15 on: 31 May, 2011, 12:17:10 pm »
South then North is a decent enough route.

First 100k or so is lumpy down to Huntingdon, Fairly flat up across the fens to Colsterworth (genuinely flat, not just audax flat). worst hills coming up to Alfreton then mostly dropping off to the Trent levels. Odd lump circling around to approach the Humber Bridge and over the corner of the Lincolnshire Wolds before flat to Gainsborough. Lumpy back to base.

Worst problems are getting nailed by the wind on either the fens, returning down the Trent or both, depending on how the wind plays. I got caught out the first time I did it and made the mistake of crossing the Trent on the return leg. I reckon I would have faired better sticking on the other side and picking up a few extra kms. This time I will be checking what the wind is doing coming off the bridge.

Not done the MMR but the Marches are the border with Wales, which usually invites rain. A case of better views if you can see them I suspect.

border-rider

« Reply #16 on: 31 May, 2011, 12:22:14 pm »
The Marches tend to have pretty decent weather because it all falls further West ;)

M&MR is a nice route.  Not flat, but not gratuitously hilly either.   it's one of those "sense of getting somewhere" rides because you ride from Swansea right up to the top of Wales and out into England, then go back.  Great climb with fantastic views at the end.

« Reply #17 on: 31 May, 2011, 01:56:30 pm »
Hills are my enemy at the moment; I am about 20 stones…..  :o

Hills are also my enemy and I'm "only" 13 stone!

I'll go along with Tewdric's suggestion. If you do it, he can buy me a pint too.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #18 on: 31 May, 2011, 02:27:31 pm »

+1

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #19 on: 31 May, 2011, 02:32:06 pm »
genuinely flat, not just audax flat

:)

I think that you've coined a new term.
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #20 on: 31 May, 2011, 02:56:27 pm »
I'm a little jaded at riding sections described as flat just because they don't qualify for AAA points.

« Reply #21 on: 31 May, 2011, 02:58:45 pm »
"Audax flat" isn't really a new term, it just means below the "audax average" of about 1000m climbing per 100km.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #22 on: 31 May, 2011, 03:21:13 pm »
"Audax flat" isn't really a new term, it just means below the "audax average" of about 1000m climbing per 100km.

I think your average is spot-on, but we probably need some 'significance' thresholds for other terms!
(One of my events last year was just below the magic 10m/km, but people called it quite hilly ... it would certainly be "unhelpful" to call it flat.)

Perhaps a modifier is needed for longer events, rather like the AAA criteria.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #23 on: 31 May, 2011, 03:43:26 pm »
Mostly flat
Often flat
Sometimes flat
Occasionally flat
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #24 on: 31 May, 2011, 03:44:05 pm »
Welsh flat
Lincolnshire flat
Chief cat entertainer.