Author Topic: My first Audax...  (Read 4245 times)

My first Audax...
« on: 17 July, 2008, 07:05:13 pm »
...was significantly more difficult than I thought it was going to be. I did the Hailing 106km in the Cotswolds very very slowly. Having read these pages to death beforehand I almost had everything I needed (except a pen) and as it was a special occasion I wore one of my better QPR tops, which caused consternation amongst some riders.

Met some really lovely people and was helped round the last 50k by a fella from Bristol CTC whose name I didn't get (thanks if you're reading this). Was surprised at the turnout - 50+ I'd say - I thought these events were the preserve of a few hardy souls. Absolutely beautiful ride, but I found some of the hills brutal. I knew I was bad at climbing but had not realised how bad. This would appear to be down to the fact that I always manage to avoid anything lumpy when out on the bike.

Onwards and er, upwards.

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
Re: My first Audax...
« Reply #1 on: 17 July, 2008, 07:18:10 pm »
Good on yer,  Tom! They get easier....   O:-)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 17 July, 2008, 07:20:28 pm »
That's very good. My first one, almost two years ago, was hilly for this part of the world (Essex / Cambs / Herts) but benign compared to a Cotswold romp.

I was totally exhausted at the end.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3 on: 17 July, 2008, 07:22:53 pm »
Well done :)

And it does get easier, even the hills.

« Reply #4 on: 17 July, 2008, 07:42:41 pm »
Well done.

Here's a good tip for any budding audaxer - learn to love those hills!  :thumbsup:

Cycling Viking

« Reply #5 on: 17 July, 2008, 08:21:58 pm »
Good on yer. I hate hills being fat so try this on 17th August. In two minds between this and the Galashiels 1000. Either would probably kill me but why not die trying something different.

Audax Event Details

« Reply #6 on: 17 July, 2008, 08:48:05 pm »
Don't do it!

Oh. Too late.

Well done.

alan

« Reply #7 on: 17 July, 2008, 09:08:01 pm »
Good on yer. I hate hills being fat quote]

So do I.The thin hills are much easier ;)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #8 on: 18 July, 2008, 11:11:07 am »
...was significantly more difficult than I thought it was going to be. I did the Hailing 106km in the Cotswolds very very slowly. Having read these pages to death beforehand I almost had everything I needed (except a pen) and as it was a special occasion I wore one of my better QPR tops, which caused consternation amongst some riders.

Met some really lovely people and was helped round the last 50k by a fella from Bristol CTC whose name I didn't get (thanks if you're reading this). Was surprised at the turnout - 50+ I'd say - I thought these events were the preserve of a few hardy souls. Absolutely beautiful ride, but I found some of the hills brutal. I knew I was bad at climbing but had not realised how bad. This would appear to be down to the fact that I always manage to avoid anything lumpy when out on the bike.

Onwards and er, upwards.

1) "..was significantly more difficult than I thought it was going to be" some organisers don't even ride the events.  There seems to be a "difficult is good" mentality with some people

2) "Was surprised at the turnout - 50+" 50+ is quite common for 100k events.  For proper randonneur distances of 200k+ there are properly small fields

Cycling Viking

« Reply #9 on: 18 July, 2008, 05:40:42 pm »

So do I.The thin hills are much easier ;)
[/quote]

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh decided that all hills fat or thin are evil!

LEE

« Reply #10 on: 18 July, 2008, 06:01:08 pm »
Good on yer,  Tom! They get easier....   O:-)

No they don't, they get longer

« Reply #11 on: 18 July, 2008, 06:26:06 pm »
No they don't, they get longer

Then hillier.
Then you decide to do it all with only one gear.

(11.5 hours until Fixed 600 starts).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #12 on: 18 July, 2008, 08:54:14 pm »
Well done, Tom!

You may have gained the wrongful impression from reading these boards that audax is relatively easy, even fun.  Well, it is.  You just have to redefine "fun" as "riding uphill into a headwind, with an ominous raincloud above."

Nah, not really.  It is fun.  200 next?  :D

« Reply #13 on: 18 July, 2008, 09:57:31 pm »
Cheers all!  :thumbsup:

Liz - I do the Ring of Kerry most years (c112 miles) and I'd much rather do that than the Cotswolds again. I demand retrospective AAAs...

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #14 on: 18 July, 2008, 10:26:24 pm »
The Cotswolds are evil and vicious and pretty.  But then "wolds" means "hills" so you can't say you weren't warned!  ;D

Sorry if my first post sounded patronising; I thought from your OP you'd not done a 100k before.

« Reply #15 on: 18 July, 2008, 10:30:06 pm »
Not a prob... early days for me at this lark and I've not done a 100k like that! Cheers

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #16 on: 18 July, 2008, 10:35:46 pm »
Cotswold Corker next, then?   :demon:

border-rider

« Reply #17 on: 18 July, 2008, 10:47:53 pm »
Akshurly...that's not a tough ride overall.

3 stiff climbs (too stiff for me on fixed) but the rest is nicely rolling. A great ride.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #18 on: 18 July, 2008, 11:00:55 pm »
You Know When You've Been Volio'd.

;)

border-rider

« Reply #19 on: 18 July, 2008, 11:03:45 pm »
You Know When You've Been Volio'd.

;)

???

It was my first or second 100, I think.  Great ride but really not a toughie.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #20 on: 18 July, 2008, 11:09:45 pm »
Volio, verb:  to describe as "largely flat" a course which would have mythical Norse giants reaching for their crampons.

In current use in the Barnes / Norman household, along with the noun "Hudson," i.e. This course was meant to be flat!  We must have been Volio'd - that was a Hudson of a hill.

;D

Er, it is a compliment.  I think.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #21 on: 18 July, 2008, 11:11:29 pm »
Where does a Hudson fit in with all the Marilyns, Munroes, Stewarts and other hill types?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #22 on: 19 July, 2008, 08:45:19 am »
Congrats on the 100.

Makes you realise the sheer lunacy of the longer rides that you read about here and in Arrivee. If a 100 feels like this, what sort of "person" rides, say, 600s?

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #23 on: 19 July, 2008, 01:10:58 pm »
Well done!
Once the bug has bitten, the distances become easier with each successive ride.
The more miles that go into your legs, the more miles your legs will go!
Once cycling becomes a way of life, longer distance cycling follows automatically...  ;)

« Reply #24 on: 20 July, 2008, 08:06:47 am »
Once the bug has bitten, the distances become easier with each successive ride.
The more miles that go into your legs, the more miles your legs will go!
Once cycling becomes a way of life, longer distance cycling follows automatically...  ;)

What is being said in a round about way is that it is addictive, very addictive,  BE WARNED.  ;)

At the moment I am recuperating from a small comeing together with a moton, and jibbering quietly untill I can get back on my bike.  rehab is not fun. :'(

Well done on the ride and they do get easier the more you do.  ;D

Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot