Author Topic: Suburban Breakout 100k - 27th July  (Read 2131 times)

Suburban Breakout 100k - 27th July
« on: 22 July, 2008, 11:40:52 am »
Is anybody here planning to do this? I am plotting to (as long as there's not a hurricane or monsoon or other weather-based excuse). I will almost certainly be the last person around, though - I've not tried doing that sort of distance at audax speed before, and I'll have to try very hard to not hop off my bike to admire every sheep and cow I see. I normally dwadle terribly.

The sensible way to get there and back is to cycle! Which makes it more like 130k for me, I think.

Dave

Re: Suburban Breakout 100k - 27th July
« Reply #1 on: 22 July, 2008, 11:44:12 am »
There's a couple of us doing the Muswell Hills 200 (thread here), so you'll probably see us in the caff at the beginning.

Snugsy

« Reply #2 on: 22 July, 2008, 04:23:22 pm »
About 15 of Central London CTC will probably do it, 'coz it's organised by our secretary.

Some of us are fast (three did the Tour of Flanders sportive this year and a few did PBP last year), but others are quite slow, so you'll probably have company whatever speed you go.

« Reply #3 on: 22 July, 2008, 05:15:57 pm »
There's a couple of us doing the Muswell Hills 200 (thread here), so you'll probably see us in the caff at the beginning.

Not unless I'm terribly early or you're very late, I think - the 100k doesn't start until 10am. I might be slow enough that I'll be back at the same time, though!

Some of us are fast (three did the Tour of Flanders sportive this year and a few did PBP last year), but others are quite slow, so you'll probably have company whatever speed you go.

I think I'll be slow - the plan is just to complete it in time, and anything faster is a bonus.

« Reply #4 on: 28 July, 2008, 03:44:49 pm »
I did this! Just.... Here is what happened, if anyone's interested in reading my witterings.

So, bright and too sodding early, I hauled me out of bed on Sunday, and I was out of the house before 8am. Cycling through London in the quiet and daylight was fun. I saw a cluster of goths standing outside Angel station, clearly just emerged, blinking, from the depths of Electrowerks. (I had another moment of feeling that I'd betrayed my inner last-to-be-picked-in-PE child, with this getting up at daft-o-clock to do healthy exercise like some sporty person.) Anyway, I went pedal-pedal-pedal up to the start - arriving very early - and got myself a big breakfast and coffee, and talked a bit, and stood about feeling vaguely awkward a bit, and eventually we were off.

Cycling out of London was fine, if Very Very Hot. I was barely following the route sheet, and just following the other people. I got to the first info control (20k-ish in to the ride) and stopped to top up my sunscreen (a losing battle), and also to have a glug of *ice-cold slushy orange juice*. (I had frozen half a bottle of juice last night, and topped it up with cold juice this morning, and by the time I needed it, it was just getting melty. And I wrapped it in a spare vest top, to limit condensation, and that was COLD and lovely on my face.) There were some swooshy hills before (I think) the control, where 1) I nearly fell off cycling up. (I was easing off to change gear, and that brought me to a standstill. I squawked and just about managed to unclip. And then had to push my bike to the next driveway to get going again.) and 2) where I set a new Marna Speed Record on the downhill - 52kph!

And after the control I got lost! I was whizzing along perfectly happily and forgetting about instructions, and I realised that I'd been doing this for what seemed like ages, and a quick look at map+routesheet conformed that I'd missed a turn. Oops! A sensible person might have gone back, but I figured that I could wiggle about and rejoin it a bit further up, rather than retrace my steps. And I did, but slowly, with frequent map-checkings. Eventually I was back on track, and last. I figured that I'd need to get a move on to get to the control before it closed, and it was really hot by this time. I put some Very Bouncy Music on the mp3 player and got moving.

I was almost at the control, with maybe 20 minutes to spare, when - poof - p*nct*r*. I started fixing it, and a person leaving the control - heading back - came by and offered to nip back and let the folks there know that I was patching my poor bike up. Meanwhile I nabbed a sossidge sandwich and started chomping as I worked, and got everything fixed with only a minimum of cursing. Got the tyre back on, started pumping, and OH NO! valve broke. So I repeated the whole thing again and had just finished up when the people from the control came past, bringing food   water (and better pumping power than I could muster).

They were cycling back to the start, so I tagged along with them for the return journey (and held them up, but they said they didn't mind), which felt even swelterish than the way out, possibly because I was slower, because tired. Hills are bonus-horrid in too much heat, because the cooling breeze of whooshing is not there. And I'm v slow up hills when fresh, and even slower when tired. And eventually we got back to Finchley, where I inhaled an assortment of cold drinks, and nattered a bit, and then hopped back on my bike for the trek home - A1, then City Road and down to London Bridge and home. The way home is nearly all downhill - hurrah!

I arrived home feeling quite flooped, but popped myself in the bath and told Sean all about my adventures, before having pizza and beer with Juliet and doop. Today I am achey about the knees and bottom, slightly. Not enough to stop me cycling into work. Also I am feeling sunburned in patches - sunscreen would not stay on! And I have even more of a white-paw, brown-arm look going.

Beastwatch (alive): GOAT! Sheep, cows, horses, a squirrel cavorting in the road.
Beastwatch (dead): Badger (lying with paws in the air in comedy-dead pose), squirrel, hedgehog, bunny, many more too-squished-to-tell.

Notes: That frozen-juice thing was genius. I should get a second water bottle cage. I possibly should invest in some manner of cycling top for this sort of lark, because the vest top I was wearing exposed easily-burned patches of shoulder and back, and I got gently singed there. I should possibly invest in some sort of short thing that's better than Decathlon's cheapest - I am noticeably comfier in the bottom when wearing my tights, which have more and wider padding. Sunglasses and a hat wd have been good, too. *curses tiny head* Hills are horrid. THE END

Dave

« Reply #5 on: 28 July, 2008, 04:00:09 pm »
Woohoo :thumbsup:

Very Bouncy Music is a lifesaver.

I like the idea about the frozen juice. A "d'oh, why didn't I think of that before?" exercise, but I'll be doing that before my next hot ride (so that'll be sometime in 2011 then ::-))

Snugsy

« Reply #6 on: 28 July, 2008, 04:09:03 pm »
Marna - Glad you made it back with Keith & Naomi (the control water-carriers). I was a bit worried when you weren't back by 1700.

« Reply #7 on: 28 July, 2008, 04:15:40 pm »
Woohoo :thumbsup:

Very Bouncy Music is a lifesaver.

I like the idea about the frozen juice. A "d'oh, why didn't I think of that before?" exercise, but I'll be doing that before my next hot ride (so that'll be sometime in 2011 then ::-))

I have never tasted such good orange juice.  I felt a bit over-packed at the start - me with my bulging saddlebag, when so many people seemed to have just an inner tube in their back pocket - but that juice was definitely not a waste of weight and space.

The cardigan I packed, otoh, I could have left at home....

« Reply #8 on: 28 July, 2008, 04:18:49 pm »
Marna - Glad you made it back with Keith & Naomi (the control water-carriers). I was a bit worried when you weren't back by 1700.

Oh, I'm sorry that you were worried! I was slow on the way home, but I made it, and Keith and Naomi were lovely. I am feeling terribly chuffed with myself, and plotting to do another one sometime soon.

Snugsy

« Reply #9 on: 28 July, 2008, 04:56:16 pm »

Oh, I'm sorry that you were worried! I was slow on the way home, but I made it, and Keith and Naomi were lovely. I am feeling terribly chuffed with myself, and plotting to do another one sometime soon.

Not so much worried, just a tiny bit concerned, since I last saw you zooming off somewhere around Barnet.

Yep, K&N are great.