Author Topic: Bernies Long Flat One 600k  (Read 2398 times)

Bernies Long Flat One 600k
« on: 24 July, 2008, 02:20:20 pm »
As I am desperate for a 600k to complete my first SR series, I have decided to ride this one which is now a Perm event from Doncaster. But has anyone else ever ridden it and can offer any useful advice.

Anyone else looking for a flat 600 are welcome to join me.  Route is roughly as follows -

Doncaster - Selby - Goole - Gainsborough - E.Bridgford - Newark - Caenby Corner - Doncaster (310k) - Retford - Newark - Gonerby (Grantham) - Newark - Retford - Doncaster - Thorne - Selby - York - Knottingley - Doncaster.

Re: Bernies Long Flat One 600k
« Reply #1 on: 24 July, 2008, 02:52:07 pm »
I rode it once as a calendar event. It was the most 'orriblest awfullest ride I've ever done. But don't let me put you off — I was on fixed and I hate flat rides.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 24 July, 2008, 03:00:47 pm »
I did it twice as a calendar event.
I am not built for hills.
It was OK but BORING.
It's fine if you want to do the distance and don't want Scenery.
There is a danger of falling asleep awheel.
I didn't like the A19 up to York.

Rob

« Reply #3 on: 24 July, 2008, 03:49:18 pm »
'twas my first 600 as well - 1995.   Not desperately tough, but I had had an accident 2 weeks earlier.   Very flat and dull, but I did grow up in Lincolnshire.

As I recall it had been completed in under 24hrs by Graham Moult the previous year.

« Reply #4 on: 24 July, 2008, 04:41:08 pm »
'twas my first 600 as well - 1995.   Not desperately tough, but I had had an accident 2 weeks earlier.   Very flat and dull, but I did grow up in Lincolnshire.

As I recall it had been completed in under 24hrs by Graham Moult the previous year.

Graham Moult and Dave Mc Gheechie Clark (spelling probably duff) rode it in 24 hours and were going to ride the 200 on the Sunday, but never bothered.
I rode it in 1996 in 25 and three quarter hours and did ride the 200 on the Sunday. Which took me over 11 hours.
Boring ride though. We used to call it the the tour of the power stations.
York Cambridge might be a more intersting ride.

« Reply #5 on: 24 July, 2008, 04:45:58 pm »
Do you want to ride it again Mr.T

I have a room booked at a hotel in Doncaster (Newcastle hotel, Peterborough hotel, Doncaster hotel, Teesside hotel, Falkirk hotel) for Friday and Saturday night, so the idea is to ride 310k Saturday and the other 290k Sunday.

« Reply #6 on: 24 July, 2008, 04:53:52 pm »
Do you want to ride it again Mr.T

I have a room booked at a hotel in Doncaster (Newcastle hotel, Peterborough hotel, Doncaster hotel, Teesside hotel, Falkirk hotel) for Friday and Saturday night, so the idea is to ride 310k Saturday and the other 290k Sunday.

No thanks. I'd need a train or holiday from work to do that ride. If it was a scenic ride I would, but the I don't fancy going out of my way for that ride.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 24 July, 2008, 05:54:25 pm »

Bloody Leeming level crossing!

Graham Moult and Dave Mc Gheechie Clark (spelling probably duff) rode it in 24 hours and were going to ride the 200 on the Sunday, but never bothered.
I rode it in 1996 in 25 and three quarter hours and did ride the 200 on the Sunday. Which took me over 11 hours.
Boring ride though. We used to call it the the tour of the power stations.

<pedant>
I thought it was Tour of the Cooling Towers...  ;)
<pedant>

« Reply #8 on: 24 July, 2008, 08:20:26 pm »
I would probably have done this one for my SR if the Cambrian hadn't worked out ok. Donny's not too far away and much of the second half of the ride is within striking distance of home if I needed to bail out for any reason. Not sure about all the dull and boring comments - I regularly venture out into these flatlands and have come across some really nice lanes and villages. Maybe the route doesn't include these. Very exposed terrain though and even a moderate wind can be a problem, so I'd recommend ordering some calm weather!

Anyway, good luck and hope you get your SR. :thumbsup:

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #9 on: 24 July, 2008, 08:30:41 pm »
I did this ride as an event in about 2000. I was lucky enough to get in with a nice group including the late, great Mick Potts and the inimitable Dave Yates. I enjoyed the ride, but remember the route as being quite complicated (apart from the bit where Mick said, "Well, I'm going down the A1, you lot can come if you want."  :thumbsup:

Have you thought about doing a DIY 600 instead? Make your own route,  as simple as you want, chose your own scenery, etc.

Good luck whatever way you decide to go.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.