Author Topic: The 3 Coasts 600  (Read 7708 times)

shyumu

• Paying my TV license by cheque since 1993
    • Balancing on Two Wheels
Re: The 3 Coasts 600
« Reply #25 on: 26 July, 2012, 12:55:59 pm »
Last night I finally finished working through the route for myself and it looks like I managed to match eeymsmo work.  I'm trying to get the controls pictured in my mind so that they are easier to find...

Preparation Notes

These are the notes I've made about the route and the controls.  If you spot a mistake please let me know!
/s.
a journal of bicycle rides I have enjoyed:

http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.co.uk/

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #26 on: 26 July, 2012, 03:38:23 pm »
Excellent work shyumu and Eemysmo. Thank you very much. Saved me hours of work. Shyumu the streetview pics are a great help. I probably wouldn't have entered if faced with having to do all that plotting myself. The only other event I recall that received this much combined prep' was the last LEL  :o. Then we had more spreadsheets on here than Home Stores bedding dept. The difference being that, in this case, its actually useful.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #27 on: 26 July, 2012, 03:48:11 pm »
I'm in awe. I don't think I've ever done that much prep. My first 600 (admittedly I was about to have my hands held by teethgrinder and RichForrest) I didn't even have a list of controls...

Have fun. This ride was on our list for this year, but my father is inconveniently having a birthday and associated party that my attendance is required for. Hopefully next year he'll be happy with a lower-key celebration and we'll get to ride it.

« Reply #28 on: 26 July, 2012, 03:56:28 pm »
@ shyumu    That's really impressive (though none of it will look like that through a red mist).

@ jayp     I wasn't sure you were doing this, so it will be great to see you  (Chris Boulton's coming, too)

@ whatever it is oab  Sorry you won't be there, it would have been good to see you and Chris again!

I'm  pretty nervous about this as it's my first 600.  It's not the ride so much as the fact that I'll probably not have enough sleep before or during...... but AFTER!!!!

Chris S

« Reply #29 on: 26 July, 2012, 03:58:09 pm »
Does the route sheet still have instructions on how to avoid Wakefield centre on Saturday evening, so you don't get eaten by inebriated natives?

ISTR Messrs Larrington and Iddu having some "fun and games" with predatory chavs in the Sowerby Bridge No Go Zone a few years ago...

shyumu

« Reply #30 on: 26 July, 2012, 04:40:36 pm »
Thanks for the compliments on the prep work... this will all add to the fun and embarrassment if I DNF.  All the prep in the world is a waste of time if you can't actually ride the thing.  And this will be my first 600.  If (IF) I succeed at this, then I *only* need a 400 before end of Sept to get a nice SR cloth badge.

See you on Friday night.

Anyone bringing a means to watch the opening ceremonies?  And more importantly, we're going to need updates on Cav's progress round Box Hill during Saturday.

shyumu

« Reply #31 on: 26 July, 2012, 04:43:42 pm »
I've just spotted another thread about a change in the route.

Time to read up.

edit
New picture of Control added to prep notes.

shyumu

« Reply #32 on: 26 July, 2012, 05:06:53 pm »
Does the route sheet still have instructions on how to avoid Wakefield centre on Saturday evening, so you don't get eaten by inebriated natives?

ISTR Messrs Larrington and Iddu having some "fun and games" with predatory chavs in the Sowerby Bridge No Go Zone a few years ago...

Very funny!

You see, this is the sort of question intended to confuse me.  After all the work preparing and understanding the route, you go and ask if it avoids Wakefield.  It doesn't even go near Wakefield.

Chris S

« Reply #33 on: 26 July, 2012, 05:27:47 pm »
Clearly Wakefield was too much for the AUK Risk Assessment  :demon:.

Does it just follow the same route back from Castleford then (assuming there's still an evening control at Castleford)?

« Reply #34 on: 26 July, 2012, 06:58:22 pm »
Looks like we're going to have a goodish breeze behind out to Bridlington, which should enable us to become over-enthusiastic.  Then 350k into a stiffish wind before we get the desperately needed benefit again on the way back over the hills from Glasson Dock.

« Reply #35 on: 27 July, 2012, 08:00:48 am »
Clearly Wakefield was too much for the AUK Risk Assessment  :demon:.

Probably good for sprint training though.

Does it just follow the same route back from Castleford then (assuming there's still an evening control at Castleford)?

Yep, still a control at Castleford, and then back through Dewsbury on the same route as the way out.

shyumu

« Reply #36 on: 29 July, 2012, 09:36:42 pm »
That was totally wicked!

I've just got back and have to say the route Chris provided was amazing.

Dooblood: I see you got in from leg 1 at 3:45am, but then tonight I saw a DNF. Was the mechanical terminal?  Terminal enough to justify another bicycle?  Do you know what happened to Joe? He got in just before me but DNF'd too.

Peter - did you succeed?

« Reply #37 on: 30 July, 2012, 07:25:00 am »

Dooblood: I see you got in from leg 1 at 3:45am, but then tonight I saw a DNF. Was the mechanical terminal?  Terminal enough to justify another bicycle?  Do you know what happened to Joe? He got in just before me but DNF'd too.

My first DNF  >:( Had a whole string of disasters, which kinda went like this: rear light would only stay on flashing mode (annoying folk behind), rear mudguard chewed up by rear wheel, front mech menace (grr), rear puncture, followed by second rear puncture, followed by third rear puncture, followed by puncture to front wheel, (Grr now out of tubes), followed by further puncture, walk until kind souls provide tube, blow tube up and bang, the valve is stuck in pump, more walking, another tube provided, 6th puncture to rear. Walk, hail taxi, abandon.  Never did fix the mechanical. I would love another bike, will try and get my wife to read this, my sob story. I saw Joe (I think), as I was waking in the morning. My headspace was wonky however and my spirits low, so in actual fact, I just don't know. On another note of menace, that DNF has buggered up my AAArty plans. Grrr!

Nice meeting the whole bunch of 600ers, and awesome cycling with Joe and Graeme who provided many a tow!
I dunno why anybody's doing this!

« Reply #38 on: 30 July, 2012, 08:43:46 am »
That was totally wicked!

I've just got back and have to say the route Chris provided was amazing.

Peter - did you succeed?

Yes!  More to follow, but for now, it was great to meet you, Graeme (and Dooblood, Mikey and....everyone!)

mikewigley

« Reply #39 on: 30 July, 2012, 06:00:06 pm »
Peter - did you succeed?

Yes!

well done!  Is that the SR completed?

« Reply #40 on: 30 July, 2012, 07:04:28 pm »
The weekend saw my first DNF (did not finish) on an audax event. This event was the 3 coasts 600. As the name suggests, this was a 600k event that visited 3 coasts. My story is presented below.

Drove to Mytholmroyd community centre Friday night. This was the start of the audax. A few others had drove down this evening too. It was nice to meet the organiser and chat with a few other cyclists (such as Graeme, Peter and Bikey Mikey) before the event kicked off on the Saturday. After sharing stories and the like, I went to bed (around 10 p.m) and tried my best to sleep. Was constantly waking and falling back asleep until around 5 a.m, the time we all got woken up.

Once up, I ate some breakfast (coco pops and some toast) and readied my bike. About 40 of us had gathered together now ready for this adventure. At 6 a.m we were off!

The start was a trifle menace as lots of bug's were flying around looking for potential victims. (It was only once I was home that I noticed that bugs had eaten my right leg alive - at time of writing was very swollen and itchy). The sky looked as though it was going to be a bright day. However, within just a few k's the heavens opened big time. All 40 of us were soaked through to the skin. Because of the rain, our peleton of 40 became heavily split up. I stopped under a bridge and decided to layer up with my water-proof jacket. Am pleased I did this as the rain stuck around for a while and was quite heavy.  Just before the first checkpoint (at about 23k, in Mirfield) the rain stopped. An event marshal signed our brevet cards at this point. I removed my waterproof layer, ate an apple and headed off again.

This next section was pleasant enough. No real menace encountered. Within no time reached the first food stop - the Castleford Bus Station Cafe. Some folk decided to bounce this control. I stopped for a cup of tea. It was still very early in the morning and I wasn't feeling so hungry. I ate a banana from my saddle bag and sought to chase some folk who had bounced this control.

Perhaps the most pleasant cycling took place during this section. The weather was great and the roads were in good condition. Better yet, a tail wind was pushing me forward. I took advantage of these factors and sped along at quite a pace. I could see one cyclist ahead in the distance and he became my target to catch. Within minutes I caught him. I forget his name (sorry) but remember he was wearing an audax UK jersey and what looked like track-suit bottoms. This guy was interesting enough, we chatted about bike related stuff for a while (and he had completed the PBP 6 times to date!). After a while I took his wheel and recovered a little before returning the favour. When I turned my head around, I realised I had dropped him. Ahead I could see another cyclist and decided to chase him. Caught this cyclist too and again was nice to chat some while cycling along. This chap was called Graeme and I had cycled with him earlier for a short stretch. Graeme provided useful information before this event on his blog site and the YACF forum. We (plus a few random others who had caught and joined) chatted pretty much all the way to the next control - a service station in or near Pocklington. I ate chocolate here and purchased some lucozade. I was a little leisurely leaving this control and left on my lonesome.

From the service station I passed through Bridlington and Fridaythorpe. A chap called Joe was just ahead of me and I attempted to catch him. As hills were encountered, the distance between me and Joe just grew bigger - I wasn't going to catch him. A  guy with pink handlebars ('Mr Pink handlebar guy') flew past me and I saw him catch Joe. Must have been the EPO (ha!). A nice descent took me to the information control in Langtoft. Graeme had taken a wrong turn earlier and to my surprise turned up at this control just after me.

Graeme and I cycled together all the way to the next control. Was great having someone to chat with during this section - took my mind of aches and pains and was interesting to listen to another's stories. The control was right by the sea and was named the Boathouse Cafe. I ate pie, gravy and peas here (had chips too but didn't fancy them). Those that know me well will know that I have a history of losing glasses. I lost a pair of glasses at this control too. I didn't leave them behind - when I went for a wizz, I bent forward (was wearing bib shorts you see) and my glasses fell from my jersey into the pan! I wasn't going to retrieve them! Left cafe and remembered I had forgot (?!) my gloves. Returned to cafe and retrieved my gloves (which were now tucked into another cyclists helmet). Left control with Graeme and Joe (who now wanted to cycle with company as his last section was a 'boring' solo affair).

Before following our instructions again, we diverted just a short distance to view the sea front. Woo hoo, we had reached the first coast - the East Coast! An obligatory photo was considered a must.

So, the 3 of us (Joe, Graeme and myself as pictured above) left the sea front and headed for Malton. Joe and Graeme kept quite a pace. It was good to cycle with this pair as they pushed quite hard and were fun guys. I found their pace a little fast for me but was happy to cycle with them both. For the most part I chose to follow but at times offered a pull. Am sure Mr Pink handlebar guy kept ahead of us throughout this section too. I was feeling real 'Hank Marvin' by the time we reached the Yorkshire Tea Rooms control. At this control I ate scrambled egg on toast and washed this down with a pepsi and a mug of tea.

Left control as a group of 3 again. Similar pattern to before - Joe and Graeme pulling for the most part and myself benefiting from a tow. With gritted teeth I pulled for short sections. Before we reached control we passed Mr Pink handlebar guy and stopped off at Tesco's for food supplies. I had a lovely ploughman's sarnie here and purchased malt loaf and chocolate for later. We passed through 2 information controls before reaching the next 'proper' control. Somewhere during these controls things had started to go wrong. First off, my rear light came on and wouldn't stop flashing. Flashing mode was a real annoyance for those following behind and it became annoying for me to tell everyone it was flashing because it was faulty. The rain proved menace too, it wasn't too bad but when it fell, it fell real hard! Passing through Sowerby was lovely, a number of scarecrows in various guises were occupying folks front lawns. (Am sure I passed through Sowerby during LEJOG 2009 and was informed about Sowerby's scarecrow festival). Interestingly enough, we cycled past Toad Hall too! Aldwark Bridge proved an interesting crossing - all the boards were loose and looked like piano keys were being tapped as we cycled over. By the time we reached the control at Shell Riverside Service Station it was dark (and we had stopped at a pub earlier because Graeme had a taste for alcohol). So hungry at this control that I ate 2 snickers bars and downed some chocolate milk. My bum was real sore too, so took opportunity to lube up (but think I left bum creme behind).

The next section was my last section. Sadly things went very wrong. At one point my wheel became locked - the chain had gotten caught in the front mech. Graeme stopped to help me out and we were able to free the wheel. Sadly the front mech was damaged and now I was limited to just my lower gears (I completed the Bryan Chapman 600k audax without a large chain ring, and this reminded me of that incident). Off we set and then pssst, my rear tyre had punctured. Graeme left me here as he was looking forward to sleep and I hoped I'd be just minutes after him at control after I fixed puncture. This wasn't to be. I fixed puncture (replaced tube) but within a few more K, I had punctured again. Puncture fixed and then I punctured again. Grr. This was not fun at all and my time was elapsing quicker than I hoped. I punctured six times in all (both front and rear tyres). At the fourth puncture the voices in my head whispered 'game over' - I had used all my spare inner tubes. I started to push my bike along, tired, angry and not thinking straight. It was about 30k back to Mytholmroyd, the next control, which was both a food and sleep control. I had a spare tube at control too. A passing pair of cyclists stopped and donated me an inner tube which was greatly appreciated. I pumped up tyre but the valve came off in my pump and horrors, I was back to square one. Pushed bike along once more and after an age another cyclist stopped and gave me a tube. With brief hope I inflated tyre and set sail again. With less than 10k  cycled, pssst, the rear tyre punctured once more. I was so tired now, fed up and felt like crying. I just pushed my bike along and wasn't sure if I was on route anymore. Another cyclist stopped and asked if I wanted a tube. This was a nice offer but I just couldn't be bothered to remove a tyre and fit again after doing so, so many times. I declined but just asked to borrow his pump (a great big pump) to just inflate tyre and hope it got me back to control. It didn't! I should have took the tube. With flat tyre I just pushed along. Drunk kids were ahead on the street, so I by-passed and by chance found a taxi station. A taxi took me back to control. I had given up. Packed. This was to be my first DNF'd audax. :(

I rocked up at the M'royd control at 3.42 a.m, about 4 hours later than I had anticipated. A number of cyclists were still behind me (with working machines I bet...). I informed the marshals I was packing and supportive and understanding they were. I made my bed and fell asleep.

When I awoke, I saw Bikey Mikey pottering about and Mr Pink Handlebar guy was asleep to the left of me. I think I saw Joe too but am not overly sure. With a strange feeling of disappointment I sneaked off and headed home. I had cycled 370k and visited just one coast!

The damage: Well for an event scoring 6 AUK points, I scored zero. I was 6 months into my AAArty award (and was hoping this event would score 1.75AAA points for July) but now those plans are shot too (no days left this month to ride an AAA event). Was hoping to complete an SR series too - no chance of finding a calendar 600k event for remainder of year). Damage to the bike was equally nasty. After a visit to bike shop today, I require new brake blocks (front and rear), a headset, chain, cassette, large chain ring, front mech and a new rear wheel. I won't be getting a new wheel but the wheel will require truing again as the rims have some nasty dents in them. Cost to fix bike is just under £300. :(

Too grr to blog much more....

mikewigley

« Reply #41 on: 30 July, 2012, 09:12:02 pm »
Regarding the multiple punctures:  one cause of this can be a thorn, glass splinter etc remaining in the tyre.  It can be really difficult to find these at the roadside if it's dark and wet and you can waste a lot of time checking the tyre.  I use folding tyres these days, and simply replace tyre and inner tube after a puncture and give the tyre a good looking at back home (or after next puncture).  I also use a Topeak Road Morph pump with gauge, so I can get decent tyre pressures at the roadside.

I know that everyone has their favourite tyres, but I find that Specialized Gatorskins at about 100psi usually keep the puncture fairy away.

However, your comments about the state of your rims might suggest that your tyres were fine.

shyumu

« Reply #42 on: 31 July, 2012, 12:01:44 am »
Tim, my goodness that went wrong with a vengeance!

As we were hacking at your front mech together I was aware that you looked like death on wheels, but thought best to keep quiet - perhaps if I didn't tell you my thoughts you'd be okay.  When you punctured #1 I sort of hoped you were going to take 15 mins kip in that bus shelter.  I couldn't stop with you I was really pooped by this point and needed sleep.  I guess that was why I hoped you'd grab a cat-nap in the bus shelter.  I saw your arrival time in the book when I left on Sunday and really hoped you'd get enough sleep to carry on - but reading above you were hit by a bucket load of gone-wrong.

You didn't tell us about the curious incident of the glasses in the pan.  You kept that one quiet until now.

£300 repair is an excuse to call a new bike -£300 from the purchase price.

I really enjoyed your company and I hope to see you again on another ride. 

« Reply #43 on: 31 July, 2012, 12:34:34 am »
Peter - did you succeed?

Yes!

well done!  Is that the SR completed?

Thanks and not quite.  I still have a 300 to do but I know I can fit one in between now and the end of the season.  Probably won't be able to make your Monty at the weekend and I wish you luck with the ride.  It's a good route; I just hope you don't get as much wind as last year!

« Reply #44 on: 31 July, 2012, 12:57:26 am »
@ dooblood

Tim, that must have been so frustrating and I felt for you when I read that teary, despairing bit.  Like Mike, I reckon if you go through six tubes, then there's something in the tyre or the rim is faulty.  But I know the feeling of not being bothered to make the effort to sort things out properly and just hoping it'll go away.  It's a great report, though, which gives a real flavour of desperate deeds in the night!

Hope to meet you again

Peter

« Reply #45 on: 31 July, 2012, 08:14:24 am »
Hi guys,

Sometimes you have to take the 'good with the bad'. This was an annoying ride in the sense it was a DNF (am sure everyone has gotten miffed at their first DNF) but was good in other respects. Always nice to meet nice friendly folk and was certainly a learning experience. I will carry a spare tyre with me from now on (and not just the one round my middle), and (maybe) invest in one of those super frame pump things as mine is small and crappy.

An SR this season now looks unlikely, but am going to complete a 300k weekend after next (the rough diamond), I think Peter would like this... And then I'm just left with a 600 .... maybe a perm? Maybe not...

My rims were proper faulty btw, did not realise extent of damage until I cleaned bike...

Cheers all,

Doo  :)

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #46 on: 31 July, 2012, 09:09:34 am »

Arrr, but being laid back means it's easy to headbutt testicles ;)
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #47 on: 31 July, 2012, 11:39:32 am »
I will carry a spare tyre with me from now on (and not just the one round my middle), and (maybe) invest in one of those super frame pump things as mine is small and crappy.

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&rlz=1T4RNQN_enGB467&q=zefal+hpx+frame+pump&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1440&bih=783&wrapid=tlif134373053961310&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=5865673338743149826&sa=X&ei=hbMXULqRB43s0gXFj4DoAw&ved=0CFkQ8wIwAg

Ideally you need a frame with a pump peg and you need to measure carefully to make sure you order the right length pump for your frame. IMHO the Rolls Royce choice for Audax. :)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #48 on: 31 July, 2012, 03:14:52 pm »
Was hoping to complete an SR series too - no chance of finding a calendar 600k event for remainder of year).

Have you considered a Perm?This

http://www.highergrangefarm.fsnet.co.uk/PeakAudax/holl.htm

perhaps.
Train to Lecester for a start/finish control there.

hth

« Reply #49 on: 31 July, 2012, 09:28:18 pm »
Great ride and organisation from Chris and his team.

Found the first 150km to be very fast, the first 100km was probably the fastests I have ever done 100km on an Audax (I'm Mr Pink Handlebar guy) but suffered for it on the Brid to Thirsk section, hadn't remembered how hilly that was. 

Then back to the start via Cas Vegas, wishing I had bought my home keys along, as I was within 15 minutes ride of home at one point.

Got a few hours sleep and back on the road at 0630 for a nice day  in Lancashire, and a very nice lunch at the Cafe.

Was tired on Monday, but did just under 100km today, and a 10 mile Time Trial tonight and the legs are feeling good.

For the Perm Jogler has suggested, To Hol and Back, I have that to do later in the year, looks pretty flat after you have got the East Manchester bit out the way.