Author Topic: Who wants to ride a Scottish 600 perm?  (Read 31407 times)

Re: Who wants to ride a Scottish 600 perm?
« Reply #50 on: 12 August, 2008, 10:49:02 pm »
Like Pingu, I'm in need of a 600 and 400 to complete my first SR for many years, but unlike Applebag, I'm willing to ride the full 600km as part of the grupetto leaving SQ.

Is there room at the inn ?  Or is the accommodation fully booked ?

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #51 on: 12 August, 2008, 11:14:46 pm »
Like Pingu, I'm in need of a 600 and 400 to complete my first SR for many years, but unlike Applebag, I'm willing to ride the full 600km as part of the grupetto leaving SQ.

Is there room at the inn ?  Or is the accommodation fully booked ?

::-) Oh, I suppose we could squeeze you in.
Better get in touch with Mr HE about digs at Inchree.

Looks like we got ourselves a con-voy. 
Welcome aboard, fin. :thumbsup:

Is somebody taking the register?  :D
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #52 on: 12 August, 2008, 11:36:43 pm »
The current register:

South Queensferry - Twilight
Mercurykev
RJMcB
Hibernian Exile
Fin
Applebag (ladylike 200k DIY perm/pace setter/not coming fully up north)

Kirrie - Gie's A Light
Eck
Audave
OtherDave
Alves

HE - will the bunkhouse be able to accommodate 8 riders?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #53 on: 13 August, 2008, 09:30:26 am »
To answer your last question first, I'd say, No, definitely not. For me, "the feel of the ride" comes from everything from Glendevon on the way out to maybe about Callander on the way back, especially Rannoch and Glencoe, the humply road round Moidart after the ferry, the coast road down to Oban in the dark or at dawn, and the long slog up to Tyndrum. The differences you mention are really minor tweaks at the beginning and end.

My guess is that some of the changes came when they built the bridge at Loch Creran thus cutting several miles off the old route, so more miles needed to be added somewhere.
Thanks Eck. I reckon the "calendar" route after Callander looks more appealing, but I'd decide nearer the time ( I actually got lost getting to the Kincardine bridge last year - my own fault!).

It would probably make a repeat ride more interesting to have some small route changes.

You all enjoy yourselves!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #54 on: 13 August, 2008, 09:50:53 pm »
I've been watching this thread for a couple of days. Initially I was thinking - glad I've already done the Twilight this year, no need to do THAT again. Then I started thinking - the Northern half of the route is really enjoyable, great roads and it is a super bunkhouse. And the run over GlenDevon is nice. Tonight I'm thinking -

Me Too! Me Too! Me Too! Please sirs, can I come along too?

Kev - Can you add me to the SQ start list? :thumbsup:
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

« Reply #55 on: 13 August, 2008, 09:54:34 pm »
Me Too! Me Too! Me Too! Please sirs, can I come along too?

Mug!

Oops, did I type that rather than just think it?  ;D ;) ;D

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #56 on: 13 August, 2008, 10:54:50 pm »
Would there be room for me too?  I didn't finish the Daylight last year and I'd like to have another go at it.

Dave

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #57 on: 13 August, 2008, 11:11:44 pm »
Hey there is an awful lot of crazy folk out there.

The current register of interest:

Mercurykev
RJMcB
Hibernian Exile
Fin
Applebag (ladylike 200k DIY perm/pace setter/not coming fully up north)
Valkyrie
DaveJ

Kirrie - Gie's A Light
Eck
Audave
OtherDave
Alves

HE - will the bunkhouse be able to accommodate eight 10 riders?

« Reply #58 on: 14 August, 2008, 07:19:48 pm »
I got a couple of questions now that I've sort of committed to this.
1. A noob one to start with. I can't find any mention of a Gie's A Light perm in the AUK site, is it a DIY and who do I contact to get a Brevet for this?
2. Does Hib Exile want some dosh for the accommodation? How much and when and how?

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #59 on: 14 August, 2008, 07:39:42 pm »
I got a couple of questions now that I've sort of committed to this.
1. A noob one to start with. I can't find any mention of a Gie's A Light perm in the AUK site, is it a DIY and who do I contact to get a Brevet for this?
2. Does Hib Exile want some dosh for the accommodation? How much and when and how?

I can answer Q1 but not Q2.

It is indeed a DIY, so the drill is the same as I guess you did for your Elie ride with Craig and RJMcB. Lucy is the contact as the perm person for Scotland and the North.
Just send her a normal AUK entry - the ride is Gie's A Light DIY perm, which Lucy knows, but to be extra sure, write the controls on the back of your entry. I think DIY cards cost £2 each or a Bumper Bundle of six for a tenner.
Controls are Kirrie - Aberfeldy - Tyndrum - Corran Ferry - Acharacle - Lochailort - Fort William - Dunbeg(for Oban) - Crieff - Dunkeld - Coupar Angus - Kirrie

HE did imply he wanted Magners vouchers, but hasn't been back with his address etc. If he's not on here later to keep us right, I'll email him tomorrow.

HTH

« Reply #60 on: 14 August, 2008, 09:45:10 pm »
Is there a date at which we need to be certain to ride in view of the bunkhouse no.s
Still not booked yet as that would pass on to MR  Mercury Kev being the pioneer of this outing.

« Reply #61 on: 14 August, 2008, 10:00:14 pm »
Hotel at Acharacle serves food untill 8.45pm 

« Reply #62 on: 14 August, 2008, 10:06:33 pm »
Still not booked yet as that would pass on to MR  Mercury Kev being the pioneer of this outing.

Fair point. 

« Reply #63 on: 14 August, 2008, 10:15:20 pm »
Noodley - I didn't see your name on Mercury Kev's register.  Shy ?

« Reply #64 on: 14 August, 2008, 10:32:44 pm »
18.00 on Sunday  17th for those wishing to ride 600km
Corran bunkhouse and Inchcree are both available for now for the 27/9/2008 10 plus riders

« Reply #65 on: 14 August, 2008, 10:40:16 pm »
Noodley - I didn't see your name on Mercury Kev's register.  Shy ?

Possibly shy, but also sensible.  ;)
My cycling plan for this year does not include anything which may involve a distance requiring sleep en route.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #66 on: 14 August, 2008, 11:01:08 pm »
Is there a date at which we need to be certain to ride in view of the bunkhouse no.s

I was not aware of this audax custom but am happy to take this forward (though the Inchree website seems to be down at the moment). 

These are 10 people who want to stay:

Mercurykev
RJMcB
Hibernian Exile
Fin
Valkyrie
DaveJ
Eck
Audave
OtherDave
Alves

So what is involved in this? Do I have to book the bunkhouse, gather in payment and then send it off beforehand, to secure the booking?  If so I'll PM you all my address and you can all send me cheques.

« Reply #67 on: 14 August, 2008, 11:10:32 pm »

So what is involved in this? Do I have to book the bunkhouse, gather in payment and then send it off beforehand, to secure the booking?  If so I'll PM you all my address and you can all send me cheques.

When we stayed at Inchree in June I just had to give a £10 deposit over the phone with my card to secure the room and then paid the rest when we arrived. We picked up the key as we passed by on the Saturday afternoon but beware they did seem to have one of the longest, most tedious booking in procedures ever resulting in me having to do an 50kph sprint along the main road to catch the ferry.
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

« Reply #68 on: 14 August, 2008, 11:22:22 pm »
IIRC last year eck paid a deposit of 10 quid, we turned up at stupid o'clock at night and stood at the bar until we got a key to the bunkhouse, then paid eck after the ride cos he paid with his card on the night.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #69 on: 14 August, 2008, 11:26:01 pm »
Thanks Noodley (he who is noted in his absence)  & Cyclops.  I've emailed the bunkhouse and asked them what I need to do.

« Reply #70 on: 14 August, 2008, 11:49:03 pm »
Thanks Noodley (he who is noted in his absence).  .

I told you (and everyone else) I am not riding SR.  I am being a member of the majority of AUK this year.  And probably every year thereafter - did SR last year, no need to do it again.  Unless I change my mind.  ;D ;D

My goal this year was to get you to get a SR  ;D ;D ;D

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #71 on: 15 August, 2008, 12:19:46 am »
My goal this year was to get you to get a SR  ;D ;D ;D

You certainly helped me get round the Snow Roads, especially the unknown hills before Crathes.  By the way, you've not said how you mid-week peak district fun went.  Were there hills?

« Reply #72 on: 15 August, 2008, 12:30:44 am »
Yes there were.  I am returning in October.

But googd to see you now know SR is within your sights, and not too difficult.  :thumbsup:

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #73 on: 15 August, 2008, 07:50:27 am »
I was not aware of this audax custom but am happy to take this forward
Aye, the custom is that, if you're not quick enough to think of an excuse for not doing it, then it's your job.

IIRC last year eck paid a deposit of 10 quid, we turned up at stupid o'clock at night and stood at the bar until we got a key to the bunkhouse, then paid eck after the ride cos he paid with his card on the night.
As I discovered last year.  ::-)

Thanks for doing it.  :thumbsup:

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #74 on: 15 August, 2008, 10:54:30 am »
I've reserved the lodge dorm room for 10 on 27th at 14 quid a head. No cash needed until the day.