Author Topic: Miserable March  (Read 7353 times)

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
Re: Miserable March
« Reply #25 on: 22 March, 2013, 09:12:58 pm »
I have to say I am getting fed up with the weather now. Usually I can accept that from the Dartmoor Devil (end of Oct) through to March are going to be cold, wet and windy. At this point you start to get a few days where you can wear summer mitts, need no overshoes, wear bib shorts and even get the summer bike out for a spin.

It just looks really grim. I feel I have done my time in cycling in winter now. Someone once said to me "Winter miles = Summer smiles". It can't come soon enough. I'm sick of cycling is this weather now.

The most depressing aspect is that the 10 day forecast for my region has a max temp of 7 degrees on any day and most overnight temps at freezing or below.

I wouldn't mind the weather so much if it could just be a bit more predictable. If I'd known it was going to be this cold for this long I'd have bought gloves to deal with it. When it started to get warm I decided not to bother buying winter gloves as I wouldn't get much use out of them until next winter, then it got cold but also wet enough to keep me indoors, then it warmed up, and now it's gotten cold again.

I was all set to relegate my winter cycling top to the wardrobe until next winter when now it's gotten icy cold again with freezing headwinds.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #26 on: 23 March, 2013, 02:32:07 pm »
The trick is to be prepared to get out and ride when the weather isn't too angry or icy.
There have been some good days! (when I say good I mean not really, really terrible.)
Not everybody has this kind of flexibility of course but I managed 3 200's early this month.
Didn't get very wet or all that cold.................................Ahem.  :facepalm:
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

« Reply #27 on: 23 March, 2013, 03:40:04 pm »
Miserable March ? ? ?  ???

The second of March (a Saturday) was pretty-good for cycling  :smug:
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Mike Conway

• Wheel builder and general bike rider
    • 23mm-wheels
« Reply #28 on: 24 March, 2013, 12:09:35 am »
There have been some lovely days this March - unfortunately none of them on weekends.

« Reply #29 on: 24 March, 2013, 08:00:19 am »
I guess it depends where you are but both days of the first weekend were pretty good in the Midlands.  Light winds, no precipitation and average temperatures.  OK - I would have liked it to be warm enough for shorts but it was early March !

« Reply #30 on: 24 March, 2013, 08:34:41 am »
The trick is to be prepared to get out and ride when the weather isn't too angry or icy.

Yes indeed, and thanks Bairdy for pointing that out - it helped me get out for a couple of hours at 4pm, and conditions weren't quite as dreadful as I'd been imagining.

I hope it's ok for you today!

And JB - thanks for gorgeous picture of gorgeous March.

Hillbilly

« Reply #31 on: 24 March, 2013, 08:38:29 am »
I've managed three 200s this month so far in the south east, and the main grumble has been localised flooding.  There has been little issue with frost or  ice.  Yes, it's not been springlike and has been chilly and wet.  That said, would be nice to be able to ride with fewer than 4 layers, and noy having to scrub the bike after every ride...

« Reply #32 on: 24 March, 2013, 09:00:47 am »

I'm soft - wouldn't have considered less than 7 yesterday!

« Reply #33 on: 24 March, 2013, 09:07:36 am »
I've managed three 200s this month so far in the south east, and the main grumble has been localised flooding.  There has been little issue with frost or  ice.  Yes, it's not been springlike and has been chilly and wet.  That said, would be nice to be able to ride with fewer than 4 layers, and noy having to scrub the bike after every ride...
We have, too. It's been largely grim. The Old Squit was nice (for the time of year), but When I'm 64 was bloody awful, as was at least half of UpThUts. Yesterday we DNS The Dean, today we're not doing a DIY (snow on the ground and ice due this afternoon). 
This time last year we were enjoying Spring rides and looking forward to the Big Ones. This year we're looking at the forecast and wondering if we'll ever get to lose a base layer. it's costing a fortune in kit for the bike and for us. We've gone through chains, brakes, cassettes, gloves, socks...

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #34 on: 24 March, 2013, 09:12:23 am »

This is about the same as my experiences (well I am also based in the south east). It has been chilly and wet, with plenty of flooding/very large puddles, but nothing show stopping this march. ECE'd the Kennet Valley 100 on a murky, but largely dry day, rode the Chiltern spring 100 in similar conditions and then rode a 400 DIY in very poor conditions (but I was well prepared).

Couple of weekends off from long rides now. And then it is April, which will be Awesome April.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

rob

« Reply #35 on: 24 March, 2013, 09:32:23 am »
The Old Squit was a lovely day out.   I did not enjoy Up the Uts but stuck it out as I'd made the trip to the start.   Caved on the Man of Kent today due to snow on the ground. 

I've got a perm card for the Weald of Kent for Easter Saturday before a weeks holiday.

That will be 4 200s so far this year which is ahead of where I was last year.   I will definitely be investing in a turbo before next Winter.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #36 on: 24 March, 2013, 10:28:06 am »
I've managed three 200s this month so far in the south east
I read this and am inspired. My rule about not riding when the gritters are out might have to be ignored if I am to get a RRTY done this month. The most annoying thing is that after redundancy on March 31 I shall have oodles of opportunities becase I shan't be wasting my life away going to work. But this week is going to be down to the wire, I fear. I can see me having to drag round a perm on a snowy Easter Sunday.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Hillbilly

« Reply #37 on: 24 March, 2013, 10:32:43 am »

I'm soft - wouldn't have considered less than 7 yesterday!

Well, I had 5 on the torso (HH long sleeve, Nike exercise top, yACF long sleeve, ski "hoodie" type thing and Altura nevis lite) and three protecting my nadgers, with knee  "sleeves" under the bibtits also, on yesterday's adventure.  So I may be getting soft also  :)

Oh, and I can recommend Assos early winter gloves.  With inner lining (in my case Altura), my fingers were never cold other than when I took them off to do "stuff".  Also a convert to merino.  Don't have a base layer (but will invest) but the de Feet socks and Endura flat cap were great yesterday.  Still need to find decent booties though.

« Reply #38 on: 24 March, 2013, 10:35:46 am »
We have, too. It's been largely grim. The Old Squit was nice (for the time of year), but When I'm 64 was bloody awful, as was at least half of UpThUts. Yesterday we DNS The Dean, today we're not doing a DIY (snow on the ground and ice due this afternoon). 
This time last year we were enjoying Spring rides and looking forward to the Big Ones. This year we're looking at the forecast and wondering if we'll ever get to lose a base layer. it's costing a fortune in kit for the bike and for us. We've gone through chains, brakes, cassettes, gloves, socks...

Is this because of salt and stuff?

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #39 on: 24 March, 2013, 11:10:53 am »
I hope it's ok for you today!

DNF'd  the Ball Buster not far from the start!  :-[
See Ball Buster thread.

"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

Chris S

« Reply #40 on: 24 March, 2013, 11:42:48 am »

Pretty much. We've maintained at least 500km a month on the tandem since October. It's nearly all been wet, gritty and salty; pretty harsh conditions for a bike transmission, before you factor in the tandem aspect.

The whole transmission has been submerged several times, frozen quite a few times, and let's not forget - spent many hours on the roof of the car, getting shrouded in salty spray and rain and snow.

« Reply #41 on: 24 March, 2013, 02:17:52 pm »
Trying to keep up 220 miles a day over Christmas really hammered my bike too. New brake pads every 4 days and a new chain every 2 days. Tandems are renowned for eating transmission components and brake pads. I'm going to switch from V brakes to BB7 disk brakes during the year. I thought brake pads on Vs would last a bit longer than they do and it's not as if I was doing especially hilly rides!
The roads weren't gritted, it was just very wet with lots of flooded roads. I also trashed a cassette by using one chain for 3 days instead of 2. I wasn't using cheap chains, I was using KMC.
I also had 2 punctures a day (about one very hundred miles) with my Vredsteins but none with Marathon Plusses, though riding with Marathon Plusses meant less sleep time because they were notably slower.
My chainrings are getting ropey now too. Plus my gear and brake cables get very sticky after 1-200km of wet miles, so I've just invested in some Gore Tex gear cables at about £35 a set. The gear cables got very sticky on some rides and I needed several fingers to change gear.
Winter also hammers anything electrical like GPS and lights, but srprisingly, I've had no isses with electrical stuff this winter, which I think is a first. I bodged my GPS with inslation tape after my 3 wet summer 1000k rides removed the rubber around it's buttons and water got inside and messed it up.
It still cuts out now and then, but I just need to clean the contacts with the batteries.
Front lights tend to expire before rear light, probably because handlebars get much more vibration and take the brunt of rain where rear lights get protected from rain by the rider and mudguards. The vibration isn't so bad on the rear either. My cheapo Chineese T6 Cree lights seem to have fared better than my Exposure!
Wet weather also destroys bearings, which is why I invested in Hope hubs and BB bearings, which are fantastic and last a very long time.
Shimano pedals are holding up very well indeed and at £5 or so a go, that's very good.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #42 on: 24 March, 2013, 02:50:51 pm »
Hopefully they'll be able to rest soon, though having just seen the BBC forecast for next week, Arrow riders should be afraid, very afraid...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/G6UerjFCLdI&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/G6UerjFCLdI&rel=1</a>

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #43 on: 24 March, 2013, 04:34:34 pm »
Love that video  ;D
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

LEE

« Reply #44 on: 25 March, 2013, 02:28:40 pm »
Trying to keep up 220 miles a day over Christmas really hammered my bike too.

It would hammer my car as well.

« Reply #45 on: 25 March, 2013, 07:06:29 pm »

Pretty much. We've maintained at least 500km a month on the tandem since October. It's nearly all been wet, gritty and salty; pretty harsh conditions for a bike transmission, before you factor in the tandem aspect.

The whole transmission has been submerged several times, frozen quite a few times, and let's not forget - spent many hours on the roof of the car, getting shrouded in salty spray and rain and snow.

Thought so.  I've just started "using up" an old bottle of heavy duty, wet weather chain oil in the hope that that will help.  I had cleaned and oiled my chain the night before I did the Delightful Dales.  I only did 70 miles and the chain was already rasping away.  Hope the thick (and dirty) oil helps.

« Reply #46 on: 25 March, 2013, 09:08:36 pm »
Miserable weather is just a matter of point of view! ;D ;D

People in Brittany, a region of France famous for its rainy weather, used to say:
"There is no bad weather in Brittany. There are only inappropriate clothes."

That's the national motto of Norway as well

recumbentim

• Only 6 SR,s No hyper yet
« Reply #47 on: 26 March, 2013, 07:45:37 pm »
I go on miles and Audaxes come with miles .  last year 1256 miles this year poss 400 miles = three times more miserable. Or could just say I am a month behind like the weather and not be miserable.

RideHard

• The London Grimpeur
  • ACH Organiser
    • Steam Rides & Chiltern Grimpeurs
« Reply #48 on: 26 March, 2013, 09:27:48 pm »
Have you tried using motorcycling gloves?
..funnily only last w/e, whilst circuiting Richmond park.. hot and steamy, not enough ventilation (Lidl motorbike gloves that is). I found wool gloves, underneath thermolilte gloves work best.. now if only I can find similar socks....
ACH SR: Dean 300; Steam Ride LOL 200; Quainton Express 100; University Challenge 600; London Circuit 400; C2C; Hadrian's Wall; Chiltern Pub Crawl; White Hart.   2022 AUK: ACH SR; Wessex SR; LEL; LeJog

« Reply #49 on: 26 March, 2013, 09:45:40 pm »
I'm way behind on my distances due to the weather, the coldest it's been on the thermometer is -3 but when you add the wind effect it's about -7 & it's coming in from the east, very nasty. Checking some of the forecasting sites earlier looks like it could remain pretty cold right into May, at least for us.