Author Topic: "Witham" Audaxes, 100km,160km and 200km Sunday 28th April 2013 IMPORTANT!  (Read 4218 times)

Here we go again - but with a difference!

Due to problems with the hall at Woodham Mortimer, we have had to change the HQ for these long established rides. This time we shall now be at Bicknacre Village Hall, Bicknacre Road, Bicknacre, next to the school. This is only a short hop from Woodham Mortimer and the consequent changes to the routes don't add any meaningful distance to the rides.

The details on the events pages of the AUK website Calendar are in the course of being updated "as we speak" - routesheets and GPS files will be prepared and uploaded to the event pages in due course.

Although we've changed the venue, we couldn't find an alternative supplier for the WEATHER but we've asked politely for the old version back, not the stuff we got last year (viz.:

So since you're all suffering from a lack of miles in your legs, owing to the weather so far this "spring", get along to our new home on Sunday 28th and come for another of Ed's famous "scenic rides"!

We're planning on the 200, providing the weather improves. If it doesn't, I'm throwing all my toys out of the pram and taking up Crown Green Bowling.

Hi there...is it possible to enter on the day?

Hi there...is it possible to enter on the day?
Yes, but it's helpful if we know whether you're a "probable" or a "possible", so we know how many Brevet cards to get. Please PM me your real name and we'll pencil you in.

.................... I'm throwing all my toys out of the pram and taking up Crown Green Bowling.
That's the outdoor version isn't it? Can you do that wearing Goretex? ;D

Thanks..PM sent.

Hi - do you know if updated .gps and routesheets will be made available - as of this morning the ones on the website still have woodham as the start.

cheers

Hi - do you know if updated .gps and routesheets will be made available - as of this morning the ones on the website still have woodham as the start.

cheers
I am working these up as we speak. To be honest, I hadn't noticed that this year's event pages still carry last year's downloads. Ed must have simply copied the whole page contents forward (or maybe this happens automatically?)

I have just sent draft Routesheet files to Ed for proof-reading (he's just back from holiday!) and hope to be able to upload these pretty soon. I have some editing to do for the GPS files, as not only has the Start/Finish changed but also some of the route on the "200" - should be available within say 48 hours, hopefully.

The late change of venue has caused extra hassle, which has delayed things - sorry! (At least the weather's looking up!)

I don't understand why you are saying sorry, you guys do a really amazing voluntary service organising all this, it is hugely appreciated by everyone.

Lars

• n.b. have shaved off beard since photo taken
I don't understand why you are saying sorry, you guys do a really amazing voluntary service organising all this, it is hugely appreciated by everyone.

Fully agree - really hope the weather cooperates this year so you get the turnout this fine ride deserves! I'm going for the 150 this time, looking forward to it!  :thumbsup:

Routesheets are now uploaded and ready for action!

GPS files are still being finalised ** and hopefully will be in place by this evening.

Peter.

**actually I'm struggling with the blasted .tcx files as per: this topic

GPS files now available from the Event Calendar pages.

Let's be 'avin yer entries!

Viv

• Are we having fun yet?
    • Lythgo
I'm entered for the 200 and the forecast is for sun!
 :thumbsup:

Chris S

I'm entered for the 200 and the forecast is for sun!
 :thumbsup:

On the trike, Viv?

Hi Ploddin,

I have alas been poorly for a couple of months now, haven't got it in my legs to do 60km each way to / from home plus the 200km ride - would you be so kind as to drop me down to the 100km ride instead? many thanks, and sorry... for the hassle.

Hi Ploddin,

I have alas been poorly for a couple of months now, haven't got it in my legs to do 60km each way to / from home plus the 200km ride - would you be so kind as to drop me down to the 100km ride instead? many thanks, and sorry... for the hassle.
No problem. I've told Ed and he'll switch you to the Wander 100

Weather forecast looking up - entries rolling steadily in now.

Come on, you know you want to ...................

;D

I will be entering the 100k on the day, along with 6 clubmates....none of us has ridden an Audax before, please excuse our ignorance of all things Audaxy....  :)

I will be entering the 100k on the day, along with 6 clubmates....none of us has ridden an Audax before, please excuse our ignorance of all things Audaxy....  :)
We'll butter more buns .................  :facepalm: ;D

I gatecrashed the start and, after a cuppa, took a couple of pics.
ChrisS and fboab arrive on this rather chilly morning.

Tomsk makes preparation with his bananananana

Get set...

Go...

And there goes Tomsk and Denise(??)

Thanks to the organisers for a lovely route and some top notch food at the end. Brilliant day out, and I have tan lines on my face!

That was ace, huge thanks to the organisers. My first audax and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Only did the 100 but 50 miles each way to get there bumped it up a bit.

Did anyone spot Alex Dowsett riding and pushing his moped + driver along?

I really enjoyed the Witham Wander, my first audax ride.  My thanks to the organizers and helpers, the food at the end was a very welcome surprise.  ;D

My first Audax and thoroughly enjoyed it....many thanks to the organisers  :)

Chris S

Well, that was considerably drier than last year!

We went round pretty well, bouncing all but Mistley and Stisted controls. We were sure we'd be caught by the VC Norwich/CC Sudbury peloton on The Mighty North Hill, but it didn't happen and we were third back (and 20 minutes ahead of the peloton, in the end) - our first tandem podium finish  ;).

The headwind after Mistley was a little annoying, and crossing the grain of Essex around The Colnes was tougher going on the tandem, but we also had long spells at better than evens, which made up for any slow sections.

The sun shone (mostly), and Spring looked like it might be springing real soon now.

Usual plaudits to Ed and the team for organising - I like the new location for the ride, that final descent from Danbury was brill  :thumbsup:.