Author Topic: Lighting etiquette for group riding  (Read 18355 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Lighting etiquette for group riding
« Reply #75 on: 05 June, 2013, 10:25:21 am »

It's rock-solid but can be tweaked up/down or left/right easily.
Good thing too - as it's quite clearly pointing upwards.    ;D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #76 on: 05 June, 2013, 10:59:14 am »
flip cool place for a spare water bottle Paul Metcalfe..... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Duh its another bike behind or a very short wheelbase

like the p-clip idea

« Reply #77 on: 11 June, 2013, 10:38:55 pm »
Have to say, I agree with PpPete. I've never understood the problem with flashers, and I spend most of the winter sitting behind Baggy and her array of Smart 1/2ws .

Flashing lights don't generally bother me (unless pointing in my face) - but in full darkness, when I'm tired (i.e. not just on a commute or towards the end of a day ride), they start to induce sleepyness in me with their hypnotic flashing.

« Reply #78 on: 11 June, 2013, 11:48:42 pm »
I've wiled away hours playing the blinking game on Audaxes:-

Try and blink at the right frequency so that the flashing rear light ahead of you either looks on all the time, or off all the time.

Better than the number plate game.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #79 on: 12 June, 2013, 01:49:14 am »
On PBP at one night stage I had the joy of being some way behind some idiot with a BLUE flashing rear light of DETH. It was sufficiently annoying to be blinding from some half a mile behind. When we got to the next control Simon had to stop me seeking out the moron's bike and kicking the shit out of the light and her bike in general. Yes, it was a she. She subsequently asked if I wouldn't mind waiting for her as I left a control so she had someone to ride with and she wasn't yet ready to go. I rode off rapidly.

« Reply #80 on: 12 June, 2013, 01:51:58 am »
I've wiled away hours playing the blinking game on Audaxes:-

Try and blink at the right frequency so that the flashing rear light ahead of you either looks on all the time, or off all the time.

Better than the number plate game.

I want to see your doing that with Knog blinder or Niterider Solas. :-D

I think there are two major problems with blinkers:
1) In a group it looks horrible. Lights already "blink" because people move in front of them. If the light also actually blink it is very hard to concentrate. This of course it not a problem in small (<10 riders) groups.
2) It is harder know the distance to a blinking light than always on light.
+ Light should be placed so that rider right behind you doesn't see it. For example below your saddle bag.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #81 on: 12 June, 2013, 07:19:35 am »
On PBP at one night stage I had the joy of being some way behind some idiot with a BLUE flashing rear light of DETH. It was sufficiently annoying to be blinding from some half a mile behind. When we got to the next control Simon had to stop me seeking out the moron's bike and kicking the shit out of the light and her bike in general. Yes, it was a she. She subsequently asked if I wouldn't mind waiting for her as I left a control so she had someone to ride with and she wasn't yet ready to go. I rode off rapidly.

;D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #82 on: 13 June, 2013, 07:37:30 pm »
Sometimes I like to see a flashing light in the distance, especially if I'm on my own at night, reminds me there's someone else about, I guess that's different on a ride with numbers like LEL though

On the M&W recently I spent ages following a pair of red lights, when I got close enough it was an aerial or something.... Happened a couple of times :facepalm:

« Reply #83 on: 13 June, 2013, 09:09:21 pm »
And the opposite of that is the BCM, where if you're late starting the climb up towards the YH at Pen-y-Pas you see flashing lights in the sky and assume they are aerials on top of the mountain, or low flying aircraft, before the horrible realisation hits that they are bicycle lights and you need to get up there...

(not that the climb is hard, but they seem an awfully long way up when you are at the bottom)

« Reply #84 on: 14 June, 2013, 12:09:27 am »
And the opposite of that is the BCM, where if you're late starting the climb up towards the YH at Pen-y-Pas you see flashing lights in the sky and assume they are aerials on top of the mountain, or low flying aircraft, before the horrible realisation hits that they are bicycle lights and you need to get up there...

(not that the climb is hard, but they seem an awfully long way up when you are at the bottom)

A fantastic event all on its own those lights in the sky, it has to be seen to be believed!
When you're too tired to continue you fall off                            

200(7) 300(4) 400(4) 600(3) 1200(1) 1400(1)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #85 on: 14 June, 2013, 12:42:32 am »
Similarly, the sea of shimmering red up thorugh Epping Forest on the Dunwich Dynamo.

On that one, the obnoxious rear lights come as a welcome alternative to the obnoxious flashing front lights that some of the more London-centric riders use to light their progress in a surreal stroboscopic manner.  Fortunately such riders tend to be easily dropped.

« Reply #86 on: 14 June, 2013, 02:51:23 pm »

A fantastic event all on its own those lights in the sky, it has to be seen to be believed!

Unless you're first up then I guess you have to look back at a trail of white?

Planning on doing BCM next year and look forward to the red lights in front of me.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #87 on: 14 June, 2013, 03:17:03 pm »

Unless you're first up then I guess you have to look back at a trail of white?

Planning on doing BCM next year and look forward to the red lights in front of me.

You get a similar effect on the FNRtSR to Whitby.  Just after the Hole of Horcum the road DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPS then climbs again.  It looks like a string of christmas lights away up the hill!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #88 on: 14 June, 2013, 03:22:18 pm »
Sometimes I like to see a flashing light in the distance, especially if I'm on my own at night, reminds me there's someone else about, I guess that's different on a ride with numbers like LEL though

Yes, it's a lovely sight - it's warmed my heart on quite a few long rides - but IN THE DISTANCE.

Then as you start getting closer and closer, you start wishing they'd stop for a pee, so you could shout a cheery hello and get the hell past them! The longer it takes to catch them, the more you want to "do a Feline" on their ass rear light ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------