Author Topic: Lakes audaxes  (Read 7172 times)

Lakes audaxes
« on: 19 September, 2013, 06:56:58 pm »
I know The Lakes is a long way for a lot of people, so I would imagine a fair proportion of entries will come from non AUK locals, but there are 2 new events on May 17.  Southrons might consider making a weekend of it, as the Fleet Moss and World's End are the next day, or maybe you'll be here for the week following the Fred Whitton.

The 200 is a good day out, largely away from pesky traffic, if you're up to that sort of thing.  The 100 gives you bragging rights on some big name passes without the need to ride fast, or do the Pendle, in order to say you've been over them.

I'll get outline maps online at some point soon, but you can 'join the dots' easily enough.  Write ups/picture story in recent and old Arrives.

You'd be hard pressed to park your car, get a couple of brews, a bit of food and buy a routesheet for a less than a fiver around The Lakes!

Bring a camera.

Re: Lakes audaxes
« Reply #1 on: 19 September, 2013, 08:37:52 pm »
Excellent! I hope to cross the Pennines for one of these.

« Reply #2 on: 19 September, 2013, 09:23:18 pm »
I'd make an effort to get to this. Fancy spreading my wings and do more audaxes in places I've not ridden before.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #3 on: 19 September, 2013, 10:05:29 pm »
Where's it starting from?
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #4 on: 19 September, 2013, 10:13:18 pm »
Troutbeck Bridge - about a mile and a half from Windermere, 20 mins from J36 (M6), 2 local YHs within 3 miles, free parking, facilities in the sports pavilion.

mikewigley

« Reply #5 on: 20 September, 2013, 09:18:49 am »
Troutbeck Bridge - about a mile and a half from Windermere, 20 mins from J36 (M6), 2 local YHs within 3 miles, free parking, facilities in the sports pavilion.

I've made a note on my to do list, sounds very enticing

« Reply #6 on: 20 September, 2013, 09:38:27 am »
I've made a note on my to do list, sounds very enticing

Likewise - but it does clash with a certain Welsh ride.

Hillbilly

« Reply #7 on: 20 September, 2013, 02:53:23 pm »
And a Scottish 400 that looks vaguely similar to one of my favourites (Tom Hanley's sadly defunct ride, Berwick and Beattock).  Decisions decisions.

« Reply #8 on: 20 September, 2013, 07:51:22 pm »
Interesting. I'll be keeping an eye on this thanks.

« Reply #9 on: 05 February, 2014, 12:03:14 am »
I've entered the 200 - I'll probably book a couple of nights at Windermere YHA either side of. I don't particularly fancy ECE-ing it...

It does look like a wonderful route, and it'll be a rare treat for me to ride around the Lakes without all my camping crap.

« Reply #10 on: 05 February, 2014, 06:55:54 am »
I'm in for the 200  :thumbsup:

mikewigley

« Reply #11 on: 05 February, 2014, 10:05:53 am »
I've entered the 200 - I'll probably book a couple of nights at Windermere YHA either side of. I don't particularly fancy ECE-ing it...

It does look like a wonderful route, and it'll be a rare treat for me to ride around the Lakes without all my camping crap.

I believe that Ambleside is the suggested YH, as Windermere (Troutbeck) YH is nearly 100m above Troutbeck Bridge, and the flattish ride to Ambleside might be more welcome after Paul's thrown 3900m at us.

« Reply #12 on: 05 February, 2014, 03:21:08 pm »
I believe that Ambleside is the suggested YH, as Windermere (Troutbeck) YH is nearly 100m above Troutbeck Bridge, and the flattish ride to Ambleside might be more welcome after Paul's thrown 3900m at us.

Thanks, Ambleside Hostel booked for the night before :thumbsup:

mikewigley

« Reply #13 on: 05 February, 2014, 04:14:21 pm »

It's not often we get a choice of Youth Hostels.  Can we decide: snorers to Windermere YH please and silent sleepers to Ambleside?

« Reply #14 on: 05 February, 2014, 04:39:59 pm »
It's not often we get a choice of Youth Hostels.  Can we decide: snorers to Windermere YH please and silent sleepers to Ambleside?

Brilliant idea  :thumbsup:

« Reply #15 on: 05 February, 2014, 09:12:09 pm »

Ah, more reasons to stay at Windermere ;D

I don't like Ambleside (really Waterside, as it's about 3 miles away from Ambleside town) - it's been turned into a travelodge, basically. Windermere has a bit more ambience - and it's a bit less cycling if you're coming from the east.

« Reply #16 on: 05 February, 2014, 09:45:26 pm »
The hostel at Troutbeck is a delightful property set in glorious surroundings, high above Troutbeck Bridge - very peaceful and a 5 min roll to the start in the morning, but a bit of a flog for the return trip.  I agree that the rather large YH at Ambleside/Waterhead has gone about as far as you can get from a traditional hostel, but it is close to lots of local amenities (1km from Amblecity itself) and a flat ride of < 3 miles at the end of the day.  It's more 'vibrant', with it's pub-style bar/food, than 'serene' - so you pays your money and takes your choice.  Either way these rides are splendid days out and IMO quite unique in the audax calendar.  I love the Dales and Pennines, but other than the Pendle (when you're too knackered to notice), nothing seems to take in this area.

« Reply #17 on: 05 February, 2014, 10:04:10 pm »
Looking forward to this; having recently moved to the southern end of Scotland I have lots of new roads and routes to look forward to this year in southern Scotland and Northern England, the main downside being that it's more likely I'll get lost than on the more familiar roads slightly further North  :facepalm:

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #18 on: 07 February, 2014, 08:55:14 am »
Thanks Paul - I've entered.  It would be rude not to, really...

« Reply #19 on: 07 February, 2014, 07:47:08 pm »
Looks good, I've entered the 100k.  Ambleside is a nice hostel, good bar and cafe - but take your earplugs.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #20 on: 07 February, 2014, 10:01:15 pm »
Good to have you on board Socks - was it the Fleet Moss Audax out of York where I did the silly ECE, or the Dales Grimpeur out of Pateley Bridge that we rode along for a bit last?  You'll enjoy the easy time limit on the 100k and if you've never seen the steam trains turning round on the Dalegarth turntable (at the first control), that's quite interesting.  The entries for the 200 are coming in nicely now, but the 100 seems a bit less popular - I thought it would be the other way around.

« Reply #21 on: 21 February, 2014, 06:54:58 pm »
Just entered this today and booked a couple of nights at Windermere yh ,really looking forward to this.

« Reply #22 on: 21 February, 2014, 11:48:45 pm »
Just entered this today and booked a couple of nights at Windermere yh ,really looking forward to this.

you snoring git  ;D

« Reply #23 on: 22 February, 2014, 07:40:14 am »
 ;D

you snoring git  ;D
;D ;D ;D

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #24 on: 05 March, 2014, 11:00:19 am »
Just to wet people's appetites, this was what Wastwater (on the 200 route) looked like on Monday evening :)

Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!