Author Topic: Lakes audaxes  (Read 7173 times)

Re: Lakes audaxes
« Reply #25 on: 06 March, 2014, 12:14:03 am »
Just to wet people's appetites, this was what Wastwater (on the 200 route) looked like on Monday evening :)

:thumbsup: 8)

« Reply #26 on: 24 April, 2014, 10:00:18 pm »
Bump.  I'll sort all the emails regarding where to park, routesheet, layout of the start etc when I get back from the Brevet Cymru.  Just over a week to go till then and still spaces available on both the 200k and the 100k.  Numbers in the low thirties at present.  In case of warm weather, the leg from Caldbeck to Wasdale Head is a bit awkward for getting water, as the public loos in Buttermere don't have a proper cold tap, so I have arranged for some large water containers to be left by the roadside just before Newlands, if it does turn out to be nice.

I've got a controller for the Duddon Valley, but it will involve a 5 hour stint there, so if anyone reasonably local could relieve that checkpoint it would be appreciated.  A sensible contribution to petrol can be arranged.

If the weather is good I will see if I can sort out a BBQ at the end with some local Westmorland sausage (like Cumberland, but a bit less spicy) - but if it's wet, we'll be inside for cakes and sandwiches.  The lambs are frolicking nicely and the bluebells are coming out, so I'm hoping for a classic late Spring day!

edit:  rode the first half of the 100 after work and the notorious potholed section at the bottom of the Hardknott (Cockley Beck side) has been repaired to a very high standard!

« Reply #27 on: 28 April, 2014, 06:26:53 pm »

If the weather is good I will see if I can sort out a BBQ at the end with some local Westmorland sausage (like Cumberland, but a bit less spicy)...

They might be burnt by the time I finish ! ;D

« Reply #28 on: 28 April, 2014, 08:30:05 pm »
Panic not.  There will be quite a few finishing well after 8pm I suspect.

mikewigley

« Reply #29 on: 28 April, 2014, 08:55:26 pm »
The lambs are frolicking nicely

They might be mutton by the time I finish

« Reply #30 on: 28 April, 2014, 09:03:38 pm »
Anyone else riding fixed?

(I reckon I'll be back about 9 o'clock).

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #31 on: 28 April, 2014, 09:18:56 pm »
I'm not riding, but wouldn't be surprised if Trumpet would also be riding fixed. Or at least pushing a fixed up some bastard step hills!

Have fun. I know a lot of the roads & it should be an amazing ride.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #32 on: 29 April, 2014, 08:59:42 pm »
I'm not riding, but wouldn't be surprised if Trumpet would also be riding fixed. Or at least pushing a fixed up some bastard step hills!

Have fun. I know a lot of the roads & it should be an amazing ride.

I was going to ride gears ( shock ! ) Isn't the 200k route going over Newlands Pass? - I haven't looked at the route in great detail.. maybe I should consider the fixie afterall given Deano's intentionions.

« Reply #33 on: 29 April, 2014, 09:01:10 pm »
Don't let me sway you. I'd be more likely to use gears if I had a geared bike spare...

« Reply #34 on: 01 May, 2014, 12:09:26 pm »
There's about 40 riders in total, biased towards the 200, so no problem about getting an entry if you're quick.  I'll shut this on Sunday.  There is more than adequate parking for these sorts of numbers.  I think that there is a sale of bedding plants on at the school on the same day, so if you want some bedding plants, or whatever, those on the short ride can have a mooch around if they arrive an hour early.

« Reply #35 on: 02 May, 2014, 09:22:52 pm »
I've entered the La'al Lakeland 100 and was wondering if there is a GPX route for this Audax

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #36 on: 03 May, 2014, 08:44:20 am »
I've entered the La'al Lakeland 100 and was wondering if there is a GPX route for this Audax
I've entered the 100 and will prepare a gpx once I get the routesheet and send to you if you wish.

« Reply #37 on: 03 May, 2014, 06:52:47 pm »
Thanks that would be greatly appreciated

« Reply #38 on: 04 May, 2014, 03:30:43 pm »
I have ridden the route many times and can probably root out a .gpx file from when I have submitted it as a DIY, I could email it someone if they PM me but would not be sure what to do with it myself.

« Reply #39 on: 05 May, 2014, 01:42:08 pm »
I'm not needing a gpx file, a link to the route would be helpful so I can see where it goes (if there is one, please don't waste time creating one if it's not available). 

« Reply #40 on: 05 May, 2014, 02:43:14 pm »
I have put the routesheets on the calendar pages now and am just in the process of notifying the entrants by email.  Anyone who did a postal entry, the routesheets are on the way, if you entered online, the 100k riders should have had a notification already using the email address as supplied on your entry (not necessarily the PayPal one) and the 200k riders will have one soon.  Any rider who has not had an email by Monday evening needs to contact me.

With it being the first run through of these rides there might be glitches, but if any are spotted, then there's plenty of time to sort them out.

« Reply #41 on: 05 May, 2014, 03:30:07 pm »
Thanks, got email re the 200 and routesheet now printing  :thumbsup:

« Reply #42 on: 09 May, 2014, 03:52:43 pm »
Got 1 or 2 spare cards for the 200k and 3 or 4 spare cards for the 100k, so if anyone wants to PM for them, it is first come, first served.  So far, there's about 50 entrants all told and the weather is set for fair.

« Reply #43 on: 16 May, 2014, 12:09:20 pm »
2 or 3 advance notices of DNS, so there are some lastminute.com cards available via pm or email.  Should be a cracker of a day, if you like 100 or 200km of scenery.

« Reply #44 on: 17 May, 2014, 08:41:37 pm »
Great day out, a gem of a route & glorious weather ( shame there was a nagging headwind in places on the return from Caldbeck, which kept me from overheating on the climbs, but made even some of the flatter bits hard work ! )
The BBQ sausages went down a treat too !
Many Thanks to Paul & his helpers :thumbsup:

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #45 on: 17 May, 2014, 09:14:03 pm »
Did you go fixed?
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #46 on: 17 May, 2014, 10:23:43 pm »
One of the best 200s I have ever done. Blue skies,sunshine,white fluffy clouds and the Lakes. Perfect day on a bike. Second the thanks to Paul and his crew.  :)

« Reply #47 on: 17 May, 2014, 10:29:00 pm »

Did the 100K today as my first ever audax, and I have to say that it was a fabulous day out. Perfect weather, and stunning scenery; a great route. Thanks to all involved in organising.

And the sausage sandwich at the end was just what was needed.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #48 on: 18 May, 2014, 09:28:38 am »
Great ride yesterday. Fantastic weather and the scenery is to die for. No walking for me, although my friend had to "take some photos" on both Wrynose and Hardknott. He punctured shortly (I think the heat on the Hardknott descent on his rims melted the glue on a previous repair). I hadn't realised and ended going back after a while. His first tube didn't inflate so I lent him one of mine.
Going over Birker Fell an adder went across my path, I can't remember if I've ever seen a live adder before.
Superb bakery in Broughton, I could have stayed for ages and eaten myself senseless. A few tough climbs still to come after that, (and another puncture for my friend) but eventually we got to Kendal, where we raided Evans cycles and bought a load of .... you've guessed ........... it inner tubes.
Good run back to base, the last downhill bit very welcome as was the welcome and the tasty Cumberland BBQ'd sausage.
Many thanks to Revellinho for organising and to his helpers, all riders certainly earned their AAA points yesterday.

Chapeaux to the two riders for which the ride was a. their longest to date and b. their hilliest to date. They both made it back in time, very well done. I don't know a harder 100k.

unrest

• Keep on keeping on/up
« Reply #49 on: 18 May, 2014, 10:48:25 am »
What a perfect day. Excellent 200 route and organisation with the addded bonus of some very fine weather.Only downside was the small feild due to the  high number of DNSs- their loss.
Hope Paul perserves with this event as it deserves to becoma a classic