Author Topic: Lakes audaxes  (Read 7174 times)

Re: Lakes audaxes
« Reply #50 on: 18 May, 2014, 11:02:14 am »
Hi,

I did the 100km and what a fantastic Audax and the weather was spot on, just like to say thank you to Paul and helpers for organizing this 

« Reply #51 on: 18 May, 2014, 03:41:06 pm »
Well, I've ridden the 100 lots of times in all seasons and the 200 a few times and I know that they are challenging routes, but as a first time organiser I can now confirm what I have long suspected - riding is easier than laying on an event!  Respect to those who run multiple events and have been doing it year in year out.  Nevertheless, I am glad to have taken the plunge and intend to run these next year, adding a 300 and hoping to get the gym for overnight stays before and after.

I've put an online report in the ride reports section, but I will post a paper copy with the cards, as quite a few entrants probably don't visit these pages.

I'd be interested to see any photos by email or the Audax Facebook page.

Paul

« Reply #52 on: 18 May, 2014, 04:23:02 pm »
Definitely persevere with this. I couldn't enter this year as I was otherwise engaged. However a decent calendar ride in the lakes taking in the hard climbs is sorely needed.

I would happily travel from Bristol to ride which gives an idea of desirability, but I only speak for myself.

Just a consideration, there was a ride called the Bryan Chapman Memorial running this weekend, which may have affected numbers.

« Reply #53 on: 18 May, 2014, 07:31:30 pm »
Did you go fixed?

Did I  'eck !  - The temptation was always there, but settled on riding gears - glad I did too, as the ride became more difficult towards the end as the wind & hills took there toll - I'm pretty sure I'd have been walking most of Kiln Bank & the climb to Torver out of Broughton Mills if I'd been on the fixie, my legs were pretty stuffed by then. Took me 10.5 hrs for the 205km - and I was one of the earlier finishers.
 The event has the makings of a classic...highly recommended.

« Reply #54 on: 18 May, 2014, 07:57:23 pm »
Just a consideration, there was a ride called the Bryan Chapman Memorial running this weekend, which may have affected numbers.

Thanks for the thoughts, however, there are practical reasons why this day can't be organised any earlier and IMO June and July are for 600 bagging and August is for big trips.  September I am always traumatised.  October would be good and if I shifted it, then that is where it would go.  Other than that, it will be between the 15th and the end of May.  Anyway, some find it a bit much to do the same classics year in, year out, so an alternative is OK.  It's a bit like putting Mamma Mia on BBC2 when the FA Cup Final is on BBC1.  In the end, having 40+ people (riders plus helpers) through the sausage machine at the end was enough for a first go.

« Reply #55 on: 19 May, 2014, 09:24:42 am »
Lovely day out, although the 100k was a very tough route the views made it worth the effort.  I had to pause to admire those views on a few occasions up Wrynose / Hard Knot ...

Thanks for organising the ride, I hope to repeat the experience next year.

Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #56 on: 19 May, 2014, 09:55:25 am »

I would happily travel from Bristol to ride which gives an idea of desirability, but I only speak for myself.

There is also the fact that the Fred Whitton was last Sunday, and that the Fleet Moss 200 and associated rides were yesterday. There has also been a festival of 10 marathons in 10 days, so there's a lot of background noise. In terms of 'Challenge' the Lakes has much  higher profile events. If you describe the route people will say it's like the Fred Whitton, but cheaper. Locals who've done the FW will be as likely to be fell-running or kayaking the next weekend.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #57 on: 19 May, 2014, 10:14:03 am »
All the photos I have seen make it look like a fabulous ride - especially in that weather. 

Well done to everyone riding and to Revellinho on a successful first event.

Long way to travel for a 200, but a 300 you say? 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #58 on: 19 May, 2014, 10:27:41 am »
Yes - if we can kip in the gym before/after for a couple of quid per head, then it will make it more worth the petrol money.  The 300 plan is to ride over to Kielder Water, which is a lovely run out and then loop back around via Gretna.  The way I have done it involves doing the Kirkstone both ways, so you get twice the love, but there are a few options to consider.  I'll mull it over.

As far as the FW goes, I would be very happy to run an event with a total of  about 100 over three routes (so staggered starts and relaxed feeding on return) and have no intention of poaching the 1800 riders they host!  'The Fred' is a flagship event on the sportive calendar, but I am sure that many local riders would not want to do it year in, year out.

« Reply #59 on: 19 May, 2014, 11:05:58 am »
I've had an interesting time studying the route for the 100.  It seems to have at least twenty (probably a lot more) chevrons on it and at least nine of those are double!  It's these jabby things that make for a hard (and interesting) ride.  There are plenty of 100s with more actual climbing and AAA points, such as Season of Mists, but that's a pussycat in comparison!

« Reply #60 on: 27 August, 2014, 04:02:41 pm »
The 2015 versions have, as planned, got the option of a 300km (PBP qual) and you can sleep in the gym before and after the event if you bring a sleeping bag/mat.  Those with lots of brass can book themselves in to a wide variety of local hotels/hostels.  All rides get AAApts but the 300km only just about scrapes in, so it's not too hard.

The date is Saturday May 16th, so book your jollies for that weekend up here in the lovely land of the lakes.

« Reply #61 on: 30 August, 2014, 10:59:58 pm »
Good news I hope to be up again next year :D
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/exercise/w7bEcYT/]

[/url]

« Reply #62 on: 03 September, 2014, 09:26:28 pm »
Thats great hope to do this brilliant ride again next year . :thumbsup:

« Reply #63 on: 01 March, 2015, 04:44:43 pm »
25 riders signed up so far.  Something for everyone (100km, 200km, 300km) on Saturday May 16th and the bonus of gym floor accommodation on the Friday and Saturday nights - especially useful if you're doing the 300km ride.  There'll be glorious sunshine, bluebells and lambs aplenty, so treat yourself to a weekend in the lovely Lakes!

« Reply #64 on: 08 March, 2015, 01:22:10 pm »
Note:  For the May 16th 100, 200 & 300km 2015 rides, I have updated and uploaded the routesheets on aukweb.net and have added a 'joining instructions' sheet regarding the sleeping arrangements etc.  Due to file size limits these are only in MSWord and MSExcel.  If anyone wants pdfs, csv etc please PM.  I have not done a gps file for the 300 yet and have removed the slightly inaccurate gps file for the 100, now that the route bypasses Haverthwaite & Backbarrow.  I'll get round to sorting those out over the next few weeks.  The Lake District is thawing out nicely now and the daffodillies are starting to show, so do and join us for a lovely weekend.