Author Topic: Mr Pickwicks Autumnal Outing 19th October  (Read 4498 times)

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
Re: Mr Pickwicks Autumnal Outing 19th October
« Reply #50 on: 20 October, 2013, 08:02:59 am »
A good steady ride.

The first info was easy to miss, especially if you overlooked that the route sheet distances were from the council offices, not the HP. Hence by the time your kilometremeter said you were nearly there, you were past it!!

I had a lift to the start from Bairdy and chose to stay with him and help him round, seeing as he had had three weeks off the bike losing fitness....

We collected Lou and Lin just after the info, and rode with them till the halfway control at Daventry. For me, Bairdy, who has big bones, is good to ride behind into a headwind, but it must have been superb for Mrs B, who, errr, has small bones, and Airnie, a small bike, set up for a good aero position.... I followed Lou, and Lin tucked in behind me. We made good progress :)

I didn't really notice any outrageous hills, though it was a tad lumpy. As Mark implied earlier in the thread, it scrapes in below AAA limits, whilst simultaneously stretching one's Garmin's elevation counter. For me, the hardest part was descending, where a combination of wet roads, inevitable autumn leaves, and a front disk brake whose easy to use inline adjuster had reached its adjustment limit, whereby my front lever reached the handlebars rather too easily. Lesson learned - shorten cable attachment and reset adjuster BEFORE this happens... :)

Wobbley's Pashley looked magnificent and I'm glad he let us all see it !
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #51 on: 20 October, 2013, 09:31:44 am »

(Nice cameo appearance from MattC at the Chipping Norton control.)

That red codpiece turned a few heads in The Old Mill café.
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

« Reply #52 on: 20 October, 2013, 09:38:26 am »
I'll add my vote of thanks for Mark for another excellent Blacksheep event.

This was my first attempt at completing a 200km event on the Pashley (in case anyone's not familiar with the magnificent machine that is the Roadster Sovereign it's one of these http://www.pashley.co.uk/products/roadster-sovereign.html ) in fact it was my first Audax ride on an upright bike since, I think, 2000! As the Pashley web site says the bike is a "whale amongst minnows" and it does indeed dwarf normal road bikes. To me it looked like everyone else was riding children's bikes whilst I was on a proper adult bike   ;D

My biggest fear was that I simply wouldn't be able to keep up but to my amazement not only was I keeping up but I was even overtaking other riders. This, I suspect, did not go down well. After passing an four or five individual riders a few minutes later they'd formed a pace line and went steaming past me. I like to think of it as a public service to help motivate other riders  :)

When the hills came I started to notice that me + bike = a weighty combination so eased off the pace. But in reality I had no choice because I have yet to develop my "upright legs". Recumbents use slightly different leg muscles which is what takes new recumbent riders a while to get up to speed as they have to strengthen them. I'm going through the mirror of that process.

Nevertheless it was pleasing to not have been dropped like a stone all the same.

The weather got progressively better as the morning wore on and the route takes you through some lovely countryside - with the occasional Alp thrown in for good measure. However, I started to have problems with the Sturmey Archer five speed hub. It was getting harder to select gears cleanly and - crucially - it was getting very much harder to select 1st gear. A fact that caused me to have to walk part of Mont Ventoux on the way to Chipping Campden. It was at this point that Mrs "no, I'll be lanterne rouge" Blacksheep came sprinting past...

I'm sure the gear cable just needs adjusting. However I'd decided that tinkering with the rear end of the Pashley is such a terrifying prospect (hub gear, hub brake, full chain case) that it's best that I leave that to someone who knows what they are doing. It also meant I had no wheel nut spanner. Pashleys eschew quick release skewers in favour of weapon's grade and massive wheel nuts. But I soldiered on getting ever more proficient at moving the gear selecter millimetres between detents. The Pashley's never been ridden that far and certainly never up anything like the gradients I'd heaved it up. This lead to the next problem which was nearly a show-stopper.

I could hear *something* slightly rubbing on one of the wheels and after a few stops to readjust (i.e. pull / bend) the mudguards I realised it was the coatguard. Yes folks the bike has a rear wheel coatguard to prevent your coat catching in the rear wheel. Very useful if you're wearing a long coat or tails. Anyway, it was rubbing because Mr Massive Thighs' efforts going up the Himalayas had pulled the rear wheel out of alignment. When assembled the wheel nuts had been tightened with a sensible Sunday jaunt in mind, not as a Pyrenean haulage truck. I "eased" a few millimetres clearance (much swearing) so the rubbing noise went away and I sauntered on. But disaster struck as I left the Daventry control. Mark had thoughtfully added a Mensa-level challenge to the route sheet which completed baffled a few of us. My interpretation of the instructions took me through a pedestrian walkway under a road and then up the steep slope back to ground level. Oh no! Can't get 1st, try to climb it in... 3rd! Thighs do a momentary passable imitation of Arnold Schwarzenegger's then... oh. Something's wrong.

I'd managed to really pull the wheel out of line this time. A swift kick or two got it back-ish, but now each time I tried to pedal with any sort of force the wheel shifted. Do I pack or do I call International Rescue? Of course not. International Rescue are ex-directory and I only ever pack after irreparable damage to either myself of the bike. So I gingerly rode round Daventry looking for either a bike shop or a garage. Guess what I found? I ruddy great Ford factory and technical college. Great!!!

It was closed.

Eventually I found a car dealer and politely asked if they had an adjustable wrench or a 14 or 15mm spanner. They did! A quick bit of spannering later and I was back on my way.

During the section to Chipping Norton (where Cameo were doing an impromptu gig) the weather got ever more cloudy. Being the dutiful husband I rang Mrs W to see how everything was at Wobbly Manor to be told it was "peeing it down". As the Wobbly estate is in Worcester this didn't sound like terribly good news.

Sure enough on leaving Chipping Norton you could see an immense amount of weather was on its way. I managed about 10km before the first drops fell. A quick stop to don my jacket and the deluge hit. It was a downpour. Except it was mostly horizontal. A sidepour? For half an hour it was bloody awful cold, wet, heavy. But, on a positive note, I found that the thunder and lightening helped take my mind off it.

Eventually the sky brightened, the rain slowed then stopped, the sun came out and there was the most magnificent rainbow. Behind me. What a waste of a rainbow. It was trying to ride whilst looking behind me that made me miss the turn to Wych Rissington. Imagine how I chuckled to myself as I rode the extra 5km getting back on route.

Then the final assault on the Slaughters, Guiting Power and Winchcombe where I discovered they have used Lottery funding to relocate Ben Nevis. The descent off Ben Nevis was done with the last fading light thankfully.

Then a much easier ride to the welcome sight of the Royal Hop Pole, time for a refuel and an earnest discussion about, well, everything with a well lubricated Blacksheep.

I should mention that very unusually for me during the ride I rode with and chatted with quite a few riders. Thanks for being nice about the bike chaps. Having a shocking memory for names I'll forget a few but hi to Bairdy, Bikey, Lou, Lin, Rob, alphaPete (er... alphaSomething or maybe alphaMale. AlphaMale? Crikey, maybe it was Lance Armstrong???) the chap in the green top and the chap who said he was so disappointed I don't look like my YACF photo. Oh yes, and Pete Marshall too.

Now, all I have to do is spend all day cleaning the Pashley. It looks like it's been ridden through a farmyard all day.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #53 on: 20 October, 2013, 10:39:14 am »
Good to read that you chose to ride a weird bike for a change, Wobbly.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #54 on: 20 October, 2013, 10:51:23 am »
Mark,

Did the father/son combination (from Wolverhampton/Birmingham) make it back ok? I rode with
them up to Chipping Campden.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #55 on: 20 October, 2013, 10:52:54 am »
I should mention that very unusually for me during the ride I rode with and chatted with quite a few riders. Thanks for being nice about the bike chaps. Having a shocking memory for names I'll forget a few but hi to Bairdy, Bikey, Lou, Lin, Rob, alphaPete (er... alphaSomething or maybe alphaMale. AlphaMale? Crikey, maybe it was Lance Armstrong???) the chap in the green top and the chap who said he was so disappointed I don't look like my YACF photo. Oh yes, and Pete Marshall too.

It was good to meet you, Wobbly, albeit briefly. It was me who was disappointed by your face, too! In no way can I be confused with an alpha male, and I was wearing my Alfa Romeo jersey beneath my other layers. It's all in the spelling.

The Pashley looked like a majestic cruiseliner amongst a flotilla of bobbing yachts and I'm sorry to hear of the problems you had. I agree entirely about the weather - overall it was marvellous but the rumbling thunder and horizontal rain, accompanied by the worst winds of the day, were somewhat epic. I would have stopped for a picture of the rainbow but thought some water was sure to get inside the phone at that point - the rain wasn't falling, but everything was extremely dripping.

Great ride, thanks BlackSheep, more than hilly enough for me thank you very much, even employing the alfapete manouvre.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #56 on: 20 October, 2013, 01:13:52 pm »
More than hilly enough for me too! Rather than any of the big ups, it was the down into Winchcombe during the Apocalypse that was the hardest bit! Couldn't see a thing whilst trying to cycle thru the rivers downhill.

Still 180 odd k of dryness- cant complain at that!!

Lovely route, I have no confidence in finishing 200ks any more but it was really nice to get back by about 5ish, and therefore in daylight for what will obviously be the last time for a few months! Really enjoyed it, also found that 3rd leg into the wind pretty tough.

Pretty whacked out today but really enjoyed the day, thanks as always to Mark for a great event. Hope to make next months as well.

« Reply #57 on: 20 October, 2013, 03:00:21 pm »
It was me who was disappointed by your face

I've heard that said so many times.

Goes away to weep...

Mrs Blacksheep

« Reply #58 on: 20 October, 2013, 03:06:59 pm »
Hello Lady Cavendish,

Not a lot happening in the BlackSheep house or should that be barn :)

Spot of housework and bike cleaning, then out to the local bike shop
followed by pub Sunday lunch.

Shattered too.

Hope to be out in November, guessing I'll see your back light in the distance.

Excellent ride, great finish time you had.

Bfn Mrs BlackSheep

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #59 on: 20 October, 2013, 03:35:55 pm »
My reintroduction to Audax went well enough. I had to dig deep at times, but luckily there was always something there...just! As others have stated, great route, great controls and Mark ordered a jet wash for the last few miles to clean the mud from the bike. And the first finishers beer went to me, by virtue of him turning it down and no one else in front of me wanting it. Result :)
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #60 on: 20 October, 2013, 03:49:32 pm »
My reintroduction to Audax went well enough. I had to dig deep at times, but luckily there was always something there...just! As others have stated, great route, great controls and Mark ordered a jet wash for the last few miles to clean the mud from the bike. And the first finishers beer went to me, by virtue of him turning it down and no one else in front of me wanting it. Result :)

I didn't know the first one back got a free beer!!
(my next bike shall be made of carbon and be fitted with a disc wheel.)
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

« Reply #61 on: 20 October, 2013, 04:09:24 pm »
On the last 200 of Marks I did, I got a free beer for second place as well!  :thumbsup:

(AUDAX IS NOT A RACE THOUGH!!!)

Mrs Blacksheep

« Reply #62 on: 20 October, 2013, 04:12:40 pm »
Beer, did someone say Beer?

Us Grannys would have cycle faster had we known.

But we only got halves is pint relative to size? :demon:
Ha Ha

« Reply #63 on: 20 October, 2013, 05:28:49 pm »
As there were at least five pints lined up in front of Mr Mlacksheep I declined to offer the traditional "pint for the organiser".

StephenR

• Boooom Blast & Ruin
« Reply #64 on: 20 October, 2013, 05:36:45 pm »
Beer. I always have a pint of Westons Cider at the Hop Pole.

Good steady ride again, and I enjoy the last two stages back to Tewkesbury the most. Rode round with some Audax friends and we all had a good time out.

I was impressed with the mighty Pashley when it went past us early on and I think we passed you again before the Willersey climb. glad you made it round. The weather was perfect, apart from the soaking near Winchcombe.

Well done to the X for also getting round okay. There were also some Granddads out on the ride.
The land at the end of our toes it goes on and on and on and on

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #65 on: 20 October, 2013, 07:31:38 pm »
My grandson is now 17......

:)
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388