Author Topic: [HAMR] Jan 29th  (Read 13472 times)

[HAMR] Jan 29th
« on: 29 January, 2015, 06:03:45 am »
Steve is off and running. Looks like the SPOT fired up just before 05:30. Be interesting ti see what he does today...his own thing or a "response" to Kurts staggering ride yesterday. Personnally, I hope he sticks to his own game plan.

Re: Jan 29th
« Reply #1 on: 29 January, 2015, 06:05:47 am »
Hammering it up the A5, is it icy over in MK?

« Reply #2 on: 29 January, 2015, 06:08:37 am »

He's turned off now. Heading for Greens Norton.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #3 on: 29 January, 2015, 06:15:40 am »
Another Tewkesbury ride?
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #4 on: 29 January, 2015, 06:22:52 am »

Frosty where I am just outside MK.

Robert

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #5 on: 29 January, 2015, 07:19:55 am »
COuld be heading towards Wobbly Towers?
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 29 January, 2015, 08:15:48 am »
Let's hope it's a good day for TG.
Getting there...

« Reply #7 on: 29 January, 2015, 08:21:25 am »
Steve is off and running. Looks like the SPOT fired up just before 05:30. Be interesting ti see what he does today...his own thing or a "response" to Kurts staggering ride yesterday. Personnally, I hope he sticks to his own game plan.

I am sure that Steve will stick to his own plans too and he should remain confident in what he has planned and is doing.   It doesn't matter what anybody else is doing.   

I am slightly amused by the fixation with Kurt and the declaration of a race in some quarters.   It's all about Steve as far as I'm concerned.   :D   :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 29 January, 2015, 08:31:15 am »
Sticking to the plan is the best idea, and I'm sure that Steve has the level-headedness to know the best course.
Getting there...

« Reply #9 on: 29 January, 2015, 08:40:16 am »
What he's doing now was always his intention to begin in the winter [with the disadvantage of light and weather] under the average required to beat the record and then to increase the distance greater than the average to ride further later on in the year. He's right there where he always wanted to be - plus a few more miles on top.

If he can get through the winter in the same manner then he'll be more than happy I'm sure.
Garry Broad

« Reply #10 on: 29 January, 2015, 08:42:07 am »
Accxording to his calendar, he should be riding with Zoe Williams today. Does anybody know if she turned up?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11 on: 29 January, 2015, 08:56:07 am »
Sticking to the plan is the best idea, and I'm sure that Steve has the level-headedness to know the best course.

Yup. Turning in an "exceptional" performance day N is liable to bugger up N+1.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #12 on: 29 January, 2015, 09:06:26 am »
Yup. Turning in an "exceptional" performance day N is liable to bugger up N+1.

Indeed: Steve needed a slightly shorter day after his trip to Yorkshire. I'd be happy to see him get through January and February uninjured and still able to ride near to 200 miles a day. Then he can throw off some layers (and perhaps some lights, etc) and increase it.

red marley

« Reply #13 on: 29 January, 2015, 09:10:15 am »
Accxording to his calendar, he should be riding with Zoe Williams today. Does anybody know if she turned up?

I don't know, but I did do an interview with her on Tuesday and at that point she was fully intending to ride with him on Friday. Article pencilled in for the Saturday Guardian newsy section.

« Reply #14 on: 29 January, 2015, 10:29:18 am »

I don't know, but I did do an interview with her on Tuesday and at that point she was fully intending to ride with him today. Article pencilled in for the Saturday Guardian newsy section.

Look forward to reading it.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #15 on: 29 January, 2015, 10:29:55 am »
I believe he achieved his declared January target this morning. Two and a half days equates to roughly 450 miles in the bank, by my reckoning. An absolutely stunning effort.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #16 on: 29 January, 2015, 10:37:01 am »
I'm doing my own thing
I am going pretty well today so might crack 200 but anything oveer 170 wikldo
Zoe from The Guardian might meet me at the Hop Pole in Tewkedbury whete Blacksheep finishes his events. Then tailwind home. :smug:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #17 on: 29 January, 2015, 10:44:46 am »
I hope the weather is as good for you as it is here in Kent, Steve. After a frosty start it's just sunshine. Not especially warm, but I reckon the ice shouldvhave gone now.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #18 on: 29 January, 2015, 10:45:34 am »
I'm doing my own thing

Glad to hear you're not getting sucked into doing something silly by what happens over the pond. Just keep pedaling and putting in the miles. Going quite fast today given the headwind!

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #19 on: 29 January, 2015, 10:52:13 am »
I'm doing my own thing

Glad to hear you're not getting sucked into doing something silly by what happens over the pond. Just keep pedaling and putting in the miles. Going quite fast today given the headwind!

+1
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #20 on: 29 January, 2015, 10:54:28 am »
I'm doing my own thing
Zoe from The Guardian might meet me at the Hop Pole in Tewkedbury whete Blacksheep finishes his events. Then tailwind home. :smug:
Stunningly good work.

TG, even the cycle-hating teenager in this household is fascinated by what you are doing and thinks it is really cool. Discussion of it dominated the dinner table the other night.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #21 on: 29 January, 2015, 11:15:33 am »
Nice one Steve, just keep doing what you do best.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: 29 January, 2015, 12:23:16 pm »
I'm doing my own thing

Great work---don`t come too far west though weather is grim west of Hereford, windy and frequent sleet / snow squalls ...

Glad see that you`re doing own thing, what`s going on over USA -way is what`s going on---what you are doing is the most important. Bon Courage and happy interviewing  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #23 on: 29 January, 2015, 12:25:49 pm »
I see TG is heading West from Tewkesbury.

« Reply #24 on: 29 January, 2015, 12:41:56 pm »
Just a short extra loop via Haw Bridge. He'd have gone to Upton for a longer loop, so I expect it will be straight up the A38 to 'Spoons