Author Topic: 'DIY by GPS' route creation query...  (Read 5476 times)

Re: 'DIY by GPS' route creation query...
« Reply #50 on: 21 May, 2015, 09:36:09 am »
Here’s an excerpt from an e-mail I sent to Danial many years ago concerning DIYs.

“What I perceive from this is that although leisure cyclists would like to be part of a national organisation, ( and in my opinion, Audax UK has a ‘younger’ image than the CTC ) they would like to be masters of their own destiny and are seizing the opportunity to design their own rides.

Not only design their own rides, but control when they do the riding. I myself, with work and a stressful family life, find it difficult to plan more than a week ahead. I am considering e-mailing Rich Forrest my entire library of DIY plans, so he has record of a ride I can jump on when the time is right.”

I did exactly as I proposed. I sent Rich a library of DIY plans so I could simply e-mail him the evening before I had a free day to ride one. If circumstances changed and I couldn’t ride, I’d e-mail to inform him. His response was to delete my previous e-mail and NOT reduce my credit.

Re: 'DIY by GPS' route creation query...
« Reply #51 on: 21 May, 2015, 10:06:17 pm »
Vistaed, I asked the same question over there -------> on the official forum regarding max distance of DIY and it does indeed appear you can do more than 1000 but you will need to work with your DIY organiser

I would maybe suggest it would be worth you considering a couple of 200 or 300 km tester DIYs just so you get used to the system and (the current) limitations with control placement etc.  It's easy enough but even now I still find I am learning with creating the best route based on having to nominate controls and I have done a fair number of them now.  Just a suggestion, of course. 

Of course, if the underlying buzz in the official forum about getting rid of nominated controls and just validating a GPX track comes true, then the whole thing will become a completely different animal. 
Does not play well with others