Author Topic: [HAMR] March 4th  (Read 3551 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
[HAMR] March 4th
« on: 04 March, 2015, 05:32:17 am »
We're on the road again.  Early start this morning 6.4 miles on the tracker at 5.27am
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

hillbilly

Re: March 4th
« Reply #1 on: 04 March, 2015, 07:31:12 am »
Nice day down South.  Good day for someone else to do a 200 mile bike ride.  Who ya gonna call? Teethgrinder

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 04 March, 2015, 07:43:30 am »
Sunny in Saarfend, 4.1 deg C, westerly, 7 mph. I won't be out on my bike today because of other stuff.

Good luck Steve!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 04 March, 2015, 08:20:33 am »
Go Steve!  Hope it's a good un.
Getting there...

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #4 on: 04 March, 2015, 10:23:02 am »
Steve obviously likes those circuits downwind of Burton.  Let's hope the UCMA instructions around alcohol consumption aren't too strict - otherwise he wouldn't be allowed to inhale.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Chris N

« Reply #5 on: 04 March, 2015, 10:42:01 am »
Damn.  He went past my house this morning, but as it would have been before 6 I was probably still in bed.

« Reply #6 on: 04 March, 2015, 11:04:11 am »
Steve obviously likes those circuits downwind of Burton.  Let's hope the UCMA instructions around alcohol consumption aren't too strict - otherwise he wouldn't be allowed to inhale.

It wasn't the beer I could smell but rather the adjacent Marmite factory  :sick:

Uses the waste yeast from the brewerys

Chris N

« Reply #7 on: 04 March, 2015, 11:14:30 am »
It's better near the station - there's a curry factory (I assume it's part of Kerry Foods) near there. :thumbsup:

Datameister

• EU Cake Mountain
« Reply #8 on: 04 March, 2015, 11:54:17 am »

It wasn't the beer I could smell but rather the adjacent Marmite factory  :sick:

Malign ye not the brown nectar of the gods.

Bit breezy, but a much more pleasant day for it. I missed him on my home patch both last night and this morning, but I'm sure there will be many more chances,

GO STEVE!!

« Reply #9 on: 04 March, 2015, 12:09:17 pm »
He'll probably take a miss of Bournville Lane all year.

« Reply #10 on: 04 March, 2015, 12:18:43 pm »
Give us a 200+ day today Steve ! :thumbsup:
Start to eek out the days a little.

(from the comfort of my office chair)

« Reply #11 on: 04 March, 2015, 05:38:36 pm »
Easily time for a Gibbon!  Too early to head home.

Did anyone else read the thread regarding spread sheets?  Some interesting comments about accuracy of recording instruments and straight lines being good as in better accuracy.  This could kill the Double Gibbon, if noted and acted upon.
Tandem Riders Do It Together
188 miles NNE of Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #12 on: 04 March, 2015, 07:09:07 pm »
Give us a 200+ day today Steve ! :thumbsup:
Start to eek out the days a little.

(from the comfort of my office chair)

Looking at tracker he`s now heading away @ 19:00 from MK with 172 miles done, so hopefully with the much pleasanter weather he`ll get the double ton today  :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #13 on: 04 March, 2015, 07:21:09 pm »
Easily time for a Gibbon!  Too early to head home.

Did anyone else read the thread regarding spread sheets?  Some interesting comments about accuracy of recording instruments and straight lines being good as in better accuracy.  This could kill the Double Gibbon, if noted and acted upon.

I had a look at the correspondence on the spreadsheets and measuring devices and was surprised.  I do have a bugbear about the altitude figures that Strava records but where people have claimed distances on routes that I have ridden they are generally consistent with what I've had on my cycle computer.  Zigzag of this parish and I did several routes in the Alps last year - including a convoluted cross between a figure of 8 and cloverleaf route around le Bourg D'Oisans involving a dirt road section on Col de Saulude and each time the distnace figures were within 1%.  The day my cycle computer died we had a relatively straightforward route and Strava was close to the Google Maps figure.  But I presume that more scientific minds than mine have addressed the problem. 

I can see that the tracker would have an issue as it is taking point samples so if you do a right angle turn in between the samples you will get the hypotenuse rather than the sum of the two sides.  But I naively thought that a GPS tracker took the actual track.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #14 on: 04 March, 2015, 08:00:15 pm »
The only difference between the GPS track and the Trackleaders track is that the points are closer together on the GPS track. I don't know if this is true for all machines, but on mine you can specify how close together you want the points. Whichever way you do it, the GPS device will always read less than an accurate wheel-revolution measuring device.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #15 on: 04 March, 2015, 08:06:19 pm »
Steve seems to have stopped with the tracker suggesting 184.99 miles.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #16 on: 04 March, 2015, 08:12:39 pm »
I'm seeing 185.55.  But he does seem to have stopped now.
Should be worth 195ish?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #17 on: 04 March, 2015, 08:20:52 pm »
So am I now. Presumably his location was disguised because he was so close to home (0.56 miles in fact).

« Reply #18 on: 04 March, 2015, 08:25:40 pm »
Lots of tight going round in circles today to confuse the tracker - I'm still hoping for a 200 miler.

« Reply #19 on: 04 March, 2015, 08:43:03 pm »
It's up on his page as 197.1

GO STEVE!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #20 on: 04 March, 2015, 09:45:24 pm »
If he hadn't wasted all that effort mucking around near Cannock this morning there'd have been time for an MG visit today.

Gagh!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #21 on: 04 March, 2015, 09:56:07 pm »
I see that Tarzan is almost as far north as he has been to date. Is he on the move to another riding area? Florida has been getting pretty hot recently.

« Reply #22 on: 04 March, 2015, 10:38:40 pm »
well done Steve on another almost 200 mile day.  63 days completely already and some 11873 miles covered.  only 63192 miles needed in remaining 302 days requiring average of 209 mmiles per day to match Tommy s. roll on the warmer weather and increased mileages. fantastic and keep churning your impressive days.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: