Author Topic: PBP Powerpoint  (Read 1525 times)

PBP Powerpoint
« on: 16 April, 2015, 10:21:12 pm »
I was looking around at resources and came across a presentation someone in Arizona had done in June 2011. Pretty good actually. Covers a lot of ground quickly.
http://www.azbrevet.com/assets/downloads/PBP%202011%20Preparation%20Presentation.pdf

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
Re: PBP Powerpoint
« Reply #1 on: 17 April, 2015, 09:44:27 am »
Is that a young Drew Buck on the cover?

Interesting section here:

These next 3 rules apply to French culture in general, but not necessarily to PBP.
These are an essential part of what makes France so interesting and should always
be remembered when trying to understand why things are as they are.
• Rule # 1 in France – nothing is done for your convenience
• Rule # 2 – when you ask for something the immediate response is no, which
doesn‟t mean no, it means ask me again with more details
• Rule # 3 - employees working at a large store are not there to serve you, but
generally to have a job and stay busy

He's obviously never encountered US Immigration or visited a US Post Office.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #2 on: 17 April, 2015, 11:11:00 am »
PBP certainly has a Kafka-esque quality familiar to those used to dealing with self-serving bureaucracies.

His strongest point is that PBP is 60% complete after the first 50 miles. 50% being the qualifiers, and 10% the adrenaline filled initial 3 or 4 hours. Once that pent-up energy is burnt off it all becomes a lot clearer.

« Reply #3 on: 17 April, 2015, 11:29:36 am »
WTF?
It is possible to get a really upset stomach with some of the intense mineral waters available

« Reply #4 on: 17 April, 2015, 11:45:03 am »
'Can I drink the tap water?' is a common enough question. Combine that with advice to drink huge amounts, and it pays to find out if mineral waters agree with you. I just drink the tap water.

« Reply #5 on: 17 April, 2015, 08:33:52 pm »
I just drink the tap water.
Moi aussi
I'm just wondering what these 'intense' mineral waters might be.  And more importantly if any of them have performance-enhacing benefits? ;D

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #6 on: 17 April, 2015, 08:38:43 pm »
I just drink the tap water.
Moi aussi
I'm just wondering what these 'intense' mineral waters might be.  And more importantly if any of them have performance-enhacing benefits? ;D

This 'don't drink the local water' shit always pisses me off when I go abroad like in Spain or something.  It seems to me to be 'don't drink the dirty dago water'
Pfft - it's not like they are civilised western, rich countries like us  -how can they possibly make clean water for their vast populations?  Only the UK is capable of this.  ::-)

Tap water has never done me any harm in France or Spain or any other european country - at least not in the last 30 years.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #7 on: 17 April, 2015, 10:23:41 pm »
You can never be sure how the basins are plumbed in a school. They may be fed from a tank, rather than the mains. There'll always be a 'Point d'eau', which is fed from the main, as it's impossible to fill bottle from school water fountains.
Some filled their bottles from a urinal in 2007.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0m2L_KPlVM

I was told to use this to fill my water bottle. Then I noticed it was flowing to a septic tank. I think there was pee in it.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #8 on: 18 April, 2015, 09:20:15 am »
My former Boss was Texan, from Waco of all places. He was rather dismayed to discover, on his travels, that the roads, and the general infrastructure, of Western European countries was so much better than "back home". He didn't mind the French having nice roads and trains, he just thought he'd been misled about how much better things were in the US?

My Canadian friend's father showed me his central heating system (not a euphemism) because "you don't have this in the UK right?".

I think we need to understand that a vast amount of knowledge about European countries is still based on 1945 knowledge, passed from father to son. I'm surprised that American tourists don't come bearing gifts of chocolate and nylon stockings.

TV does very little to dispel the stereotypes since it's usually period dramas that get shown.

We are fed an almost opposite view of the US.  We see only the shiny cities via Cop shows and Law shows, everyone in dapper suits, whereas the area between New York and San Francisco is made up of countless small towns, each with an identikit "strip mall" and where not driving a Dodge RAM pickup is seen as slightly gay.  Men's suits are generally appalling.

I lived in Rochester Minnesota, rather white-collar as mid-western towns go.  I met many people however who had never left city limits, not even to drive the hour to Minneapolis. 
It's the best country in the World, that's a fact. It seems that many are brought up with that sure knowledge.

It's clearly not the case because they only have one sort of light switch.  Any country that size with only one sort of light switch (a cream, plasticky, square thing) must be communist.

As for drinking the water, well my experience is that my Minnesotan tap water must have come straight from the local swimming pool. 

Possibly many city-dwelling Americans would get quite a shock if they ventured inland. It would be interesting to see this fella's Powerpoint on visiting Tennessee for example.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #9 on: 18 April, 2015, 01:13:13 pm »
The US riders I've met on PBP tend to be professionals from college towns and IT/High Tech centres such as Seattle or Raleigh/Durham. I've got a lot more in common with them than I have with most people in Britain.

They tend to research things thoroughly, communicate that research and accept criticism. I'd be interested in their view of the other nationalities they meet. Audax is a cosmopolitan sort of activity. I wouldn't normally meet many people from certain regions within the UK. People from East Anglia, The South, the South West and the North East are rarely seen in Lancashire. I might see them in the Lake District or Chester, but not in Preston. In fact I'm much likelier to encounter visitors from Utah, as Preston's a big Mormon centre.

One of the unexpected joys of PBP 2011 was the mix of nationalities at our budget hotel next to the railway sidings. The campsite used to be the main social centre, and would probably feature heavily in any powerpoint from 2007. The US contingent don't find it easy to camp, so we met fewer of them than in 2011.