Author Topic: [HAMR] 19th April - Teethgrinder - Day 109  (Read 2506 times)

[HAMR] 19th April - Teethgrinder - Day 109
« on: 19 April, 2015, 07:29:35 am »
I've been amazed, and very impressed, by the distances Steve is achieving on the bent one legged.

I hope he has very good healing genes aswell, to go with the cycling ones.   ;)
Tandem Riders Do It Together
188 miles NNE of Marsh Gibbon

Re: 19th April - Teethgrinder - Day 109
« Reply #1 on: 19 April, 2015, 08:31:08 am »
Many years ago I attended the ctc birthday rides at Lancaster.   My arm was in a sling as I had a fractured collarbone due to meeting an elderly lady in a Nissan Micra.    Anyway I had a conversation with a chap who advanced the theory that after exercise the body produces things (?) which repair muscle damage etc, but these are not restricted to the muscles which have been exercised but will also benefit any muscles which have not been exercised.    If this theory is true then Steve's unusable leg (at the moment) will benefit from his current activities and this may be shown if his dormant leg does not show significant loss of muscle/strength when it becomes active again.
Does this theory seem reasonable?     

« Reply #2 on: 19 April, 2015, 09:33:26 am »
Strikes me that any such benefit is likely to be far outweighed by the loss of strength through lack of use. I guess it might reduce losses slightly, or help with regaining them once exercise restarts.

« Reply #3 on: 19 April, 2015, 10:01:27 am »
Judging by the pathetic looking withered excuse for a lower leg when the cast was removed after I broke my ankle, I find this hard to believe, but Steve is built of sterner stuff than me and so no doubt his recovery time will be shorter than normal folk.

« Reply #4 on: 19 April, 2015, 10:09:45 am »
Just in case people are wondering why the tracker is not at the Bowl today - there's a Boot Sale on according to Steve yesterday, so he's doing the Redways instead.
Garry Broad

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5 on: 19 April, 2015, 10:18:17 am »
Has he sold his right one?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #6 on: 19 April, 2015, 11:42:03 am »
Is the canal towpath any use to Steve? It was hard packed gravel last time I visited a friends folks in Simpson a helluva lot of years ago.  An easy ride but perhaps a bit too much drag for Steve's purpose.  No idea how busy it would be.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7 on: 19 April, 2015, 12:31:27 pm »
Just in case people are wondering why the tracker is not at the Bowl today - there's a Boot Sale on according to Steve yesterday, so he's doing the Redways instead.

This is why the BHPC no longer races there as we weren't profitable enough chiz.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #8 on: 19 April, 2015, 12:56:01 pm »
Is the canal towpath any use to Steve? It was hard packed gravel last time I visited a friends folks in Simpson a helluva lot of years ago.  An easy ride but perhaps a bit too much drag for Steve's purpose.  No idea how busy it would be.

The canal tow path is very bumpy around Milton Keyne.  The ordinary paths and Redways near the canal are also very bumpy due to tree roots growing underneath.

Met Steve today at Fuzton Lake opposite the Bowl, he was having his lunch and a rest when I found him.

Nice to have met you Steve and good luck for the rest of the year.

Derek

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 19 April, 2015, 05:39:14 pm »

As a general rule canal paths and tricycles aren't a winning combination at the best of times.  Even if you've got enough decent surface for all three wheels, giving way to other users soon becomes tedious.

Also, the fairy lurks in the hedgerows.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #10 on: 19 April, 2015, 06:30:46 pm »

The canal tow path is very bumpy around Milton Keyne.  The ordinary paths and Redways near the canal are also very bumpy due to tree roots growing underneath.

Met Steve today at Fuzton Lake opposite the Bowl, he was having his lunch and a rest when I found him.

Nice to have met you Steve and good luck for the rest of the year.

Derek

Doesn't the Milton Keynes Marathon use some of these paths and redways.  If so I found it hard, not because of any big hills but because of the constant little ups and downs for underpasses.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #11 on: 19 April, 2015, 08:18:22 pm »
Doesn't the Milton Keynes Marathon use some of these paths and redways.  If so I found it hard, not because of any big hills but because of the constant little ups and downs for underpasses.

Welcome to our world of MK Redways.

Derek

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12 on: 19 April, 2015, 09:38:43 pm »
Many years ago I attended the ctc birthday rides at Lancaster.   My arm was in a sling as I had a fractured collarbone due to meeting an elderly lady in a Nissan Micra.    Anyway I had a conversation with a chap who advanced the theory that after exercise the body produces things (?) which repair muscle damage etc, but these are not restricted to the muscles which have been exercised but will also benefit any muscles which have not been exercised.    If this theory is true then Steve's unusable leg (at the moment) will benefit from his current activities and this may be shown if his dormant leg does not show significant loss of muscle/strength when it becomes active again.
Does this theory seem reasonable?   

Doubtful for the muscles but his bones might heal faster.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight