Author Topic: Starting a new Perm 100  (Read 1882 times)

Starting a new Perm 100
« on: 06 July, 2015, 12:32:14 pm »
There aren't any perms starting in the Vale of Glamorgan .

This seems a shame as it offers such a diversity of scenery.

I have a 100 km route I think could be adapted into a perm.It starts / finishes in Llantwit major which offers free parking and several pubs ATMs cafes etc. It then meanders to the west taking in some magnificent coastal views before following a river valley inland to a climb over a 530 m mountain pass before meandering back through several rural villages back to the start,

I believe I can find suitable control points for validation.

I offered it to CET as a potential Cambrian 100 but he is already working on some south Wales 100s which are a bit more challenging than this one.

How would I get a ride accepted on to the list of permanent rides,?

Re: Starting a new Perm 100
« Reply #1 on: 06 July, 2015, 12:52:33 pm »
not sure about the particulars of auk banjo, but as I live very local to llantwit I'd quite like to have a go, either before or after you set it up :)
nam dan on fb

« Reply #2 on: 06 July, 2015, 12:56:42 pm »
OK plod great I will send you the gpx file. See what you think.

« Reply #3 on: 06 July, 2015, 01:38:44 pm »
How would I get a ride accepted on to the list of permanent rides,?

Get in touch with the PermSec at www.aukweb.net > contact us > PermsSec

hillbilly

« Reply #4 on: 06 July, 2015, 01:47:56 pm »
If you've not organised before, I believe you need to find a mentor (someone who has organised events up to 200km in your case) and fill in the appropriate new organiser form.  This applies to Perms as well as Calendar events, from memory (its been a while since I lodged an event with John, so the details are hazy).

Also be prepared to share a list of controls, an example route sheet and to fill in a risk assessment form.  Your mentor will be able to provide guidance (as will John, although he rather sensibly tends to holiday at this time of year and so can be more difficult to get hold of than at other times of the year).

« Reply #5 on: 06 July, 2015, 03:32:42 pm »
Thanks for the advice Delph cyclist and Hillbilly. I am on holiday soon so will probably  leave it a few weeks.Then have a chat with an organizer not too far away.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #6 on: 06 July, 2015, 03:51:51 pm »
OK plod great I will send you the gpx file. See what you think.

Can I have it too?  Perms from the Vale would be right up my alley  :thumbsup:
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #7 on: 08 July, 2015, 06:39:51 pm »
As with banjo I`ve got a couple 100km perms I`d be interested in putting forwards although controls could be an issue (would need info controls as in to areas sparse on cash machines / pubs ---which are open, plenty closed  ::-) / shops  ) so this is an interesting thread to me also.

For anyone interested here`s rwgps routes, both can be started llandrindod Wells or Presteigne areas :

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6265838  takes in Kerry Ridgeway, Beacon Hill, Stonewall Hill

and

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6860470 an excursion involving 2 x crossings of Radnor Forest Hills, Abbeycwmhir and a circuit of Elan Valley.

Whilst I`ve ridden both as DIY I`m not sure how controls can be incorporated unless infos are used extensively though
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #8 on: 08 July, 2015, 10:23:28 pm »
I can't be certain as I started organising before the current rules (and by the backdoor, inheriting the Cambrian Series from Peter Coulson) but I think it is a little easier than organising a calendar ride as all you have to do is put a route up, there's not so much worry about controls and risk assessments and things like that  (again I inherited some good risk guidance on the Cambrian series from Mr Coulson - basically you are on your own, the roads are remote, will be covered in s**t and take it easy so you don't fall off) - if you don't have the Cambrian factsheet please PM me and I will send.

The hardest part, IMHO, is finding control points that take you along the way you want riders to go - time and time again I see a really great route but actually with little extra distance its possible to reduce 800m of ascent to about 250m  etc etc.  Now this may be more of a problem for the Cambrian Series which are designed to be hilly as well as being a nice route.

I do a combination of research via Google Streetview, broader websearches and my experience of riding on the ground to try to find suitable control points.   At least with 100km rides you can use local shops/ cafes/ post offices as controls which may have limited opening hours (eg 10 - 6) but for the longer events you really need ATMs or 24 hour petrol stations of which there aren't many in Wales  :facepalm:  And places close.  Llansannan is a well placed control in North Wales for a hilly and scenic route (Cambrian 4F and 8A)but the last rider through reported the pub and the post office shut (no doubt the light switch will be turned off soon too).

The Perm Sec has been very helpful in agreeing rides and will point out flaws etc.   We had about 3 rounds of correspondence on the Cambrian 10A and he was very sensible.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #9 on: 09 July, 2015, 12:39:55 am »
As with banjo I`ve got a couple 100km perms I`d be interested in putting forwards although controls could be an issue (would need info controls as in to areas sparse on cash machines / pubs ---which are open, plenty closed  ::-) / shops  ) so this is an interesting thread to me also.

Infos aren't allowed on new perms - but the AUK board meeting last week agreed an amendment which will permit GPS perms so would allow a route that can't be defined by conventional controls. (Riders sans GPS will be SOL, but them's the breaks ...)

Details of implementation haven't been finalised yet, but they'll come.