Author Topic: [HAMR] Travelodge as a sponsor?  (Read 4112 times)

[HAMR] Travelodge as a sponsor?
« on: 16 September, 2015, 09:33:52 am »
Have any of the team contacted Travelodge in a professional format and asked if they will sponsor Steve? 

I'm assuming this has been done but if not, it may be worth an ask, who knows what you might get? 
Does not play well with others

Re: Travelodge as a sponsor?
« Reply #1 on: 16 September, 2015, 10:02:03 am »
Send out an APB to Travelodge users who know where the quiet rooms are.

Upstairs on the end of the block at Hull South Cave.

« Reply #2 on: 16 September, 2015, 11:41:28 am »
I suggested this a few weeks ago - it does seem like a "good fit".
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #3 on: 16 September, 2015, 04:42:14 pm »
Agreed.  :thumbsup:

"Y'r don't get owt without asking!"

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 16 September, 2015, 04:49:28 pm »

To us.

It may not seem that way to Travelodge.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5 on: 16 September, 2015, 04:51:01 pm »

To us.

It may not seem that way to Travelodge.

;D

I think its been suggested a few times. This is the earliest that a quick google found (November 2014):
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=72564.msg1772928#msg1772928
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #6 on: 16 September, 2015, 05:57:48 pm »
One apparent snag to me -- is that I think  there is no one on the team who would actually be prepared to put the work into  seeing whether it would be feasible.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #7 on: 16 September, 2015, 06:41:35 pm »
There's no-one on the team who has 15 minutes to ring this guy.

James Pieslak, Corporate PR Manager
Sleepy Hollow
Aylesbury Road
Thame,
Oxon
OX9 3AT

Tel:
01844 358703
Email:
pressoffice@travelodge.co.uk

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8 on: 16 September, 2015, 07:38:17 pm »
There's no-one on the team who has 15 minutes to ring this guy.

theres a pretty good chance that the follow-up work will take more than 15 minutes. Unless you have direct experience of sposorship deals with large hotel chains?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #9 on: 16 September, 2015, 07:52:36 pm »
Having been told "why didn't you get sponsorship" for running events I can confirm it's not that easy and involves complicated socially difficult PR work. Often sponsorship comes at expense of "work" so they'd want lots of Steve time or something. That and they must get asked for loads of sponsorship so may be a bit cynical and need someone who knows about how to request it.

Not saying it shouldn't be tried, but assuming Steve's team have the time/skills and that it's a simple 15 mins phonecall is naive and presumptive.  Easier to say from the sidelines than to do!

« Reply #10 on: 16 September, 2015, 08:14:09 pm »
OK,

Rearrange as you wish:-  Head, parapet, above, get shot down, attempt, no harm, fear of failure, at least we tried, success and all that.

I have no background in PR but do have one as a business development manager. Its not that different with a new client with several competitors going in with a similar pitch.

I have also been involved in PR for a CTC local DA and cycling campaign group in the past. (That can be mind numbingly difficult banging on editors doors etc although I did get on the BBC on a couple of occasions).

Yes, I am sure that Whitbread (Premier) or Travelodge are inundated with requests, but this is a little different to your typical LEJOG request.

I am sure Steve's team are busy enough with their own lives and organising things for Steve, but I will offer to volunteer to give it a go if it has not been attempted before, if you will accept me.

I am so impressed by Steve's fortitude and determination, the very least I can offer is a bit of my time.

So there you go....PM me if the team are interested in me having a go. And no I cant guarantee success; it may have already been attempted, but if it makes the record attempt even marginally more attainable, then I am prepared to give it a go. Tommy Godwin's record was also said to be unattainable/unbeatable.

Just don't shoot me if it gets nowhere but at least I can say I tried, rather than just watching on a laptop screen

Ian.

(Long time Audax member).

« Reply #11 on: 16 September, 2015, 08:33:51 pm »
Having been told "why didn't you get sponsorship" for running events I can confirm it's not that easy and involves complicated socially difficult PR work. Often sponsorship comes at expense of "work" so they'd want lots of Steve time or something. That and they must get asked for loads of sponsorship so may be a bit cynical and need someone who knows about how to request it.

Not saying it shouldn't be tried, but assuming Steve's team have the time/skills and that it's a simple 15 mins phonecall is naive and presumptive.  Easier to say from the sidelines than to do!

Very well put and fortunately the kitty is healthy

« Reply #12 on: 17 September, 2015, 12:33:13 pm »
Can anyone advise how to contact 'the team' given the fact that they may not visit this forum regularly?

« Reply #13 on: 17 September, 2015, 12:53:13 pm »
Sponsor

If you are an existing corporate sponsor, or you are interested in becoming one, then please contact Idai by clicking on the email address sponsor@oneyeartimetrial.org.uk .

Idai is interested in hearing from you if you are able to offer practical professional help, financial assistance, and of course bike parts to keep Steve riding. He'd be delighted to discuss your proposal, and see if we can come to a mutually beneficial arrangement. You will, of course, be added to our sponsors page - and we will provide a link to your website.
I reckon here'd be your best bet.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #14 on: 21 September, 2015, 04:53:13 am »

We were discussing this yesterday.  Having someone with the time and dedication to chase up sponsors is why the HPT Delft/Amsterdam had fifteen PSOs at Battle Mountain with a U-haul truck and two or three hire cars while Team Cygnus had one rider, said rider's wife, another mate from home and me roped in to drive the rented SUV when needed.

OTOH Cygnus Chronos went faster than Velox V and came with a tidy supply of bad jokes and good stroopwafels.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime