Author Topic: Tinsel Lanes  (Read 8177 times)

Re: Tinsel Lanes
« Reply #25 on: 02 December, 2015, 08:44:35 am »
IIRC, the café at Wistow doesn’t open until 10:00, so getting there on a fair tradewind will be of little advantage.

Their website concurs: http://www.wistowcafebistro.co.uk/cafe_bistro.html

Can of coke from a vending machine and a mars bar it is then
Up the hills and round the bends

« Reply #26 on: 02 December, 2015, 08:57:59 am »
Am I allowed to swear.  The last forecast I saw saw suggested a ridge of high pressure.  Rained solidly on my last 200 in November (The Eureka).  Looks like I had better prepare myself for another soaking  :facepalm:
Indeed. Upper Thames, Eureka and an absolute drenching riding to the AGM.
Yay.

Note to self- pack towels in the van. And dry socks.

« Reply #27 on: 02 December, 2015, 11:03:42 am »
IIRC, the café at Wistow doesn’t open until 10:00, so getting there on a fair tradewind will be of little advantage.

Wistow are going to run a cyclist special with Tea or filter coffee, Cake or Beans on toast for £4.  I think that this will be a separate serving point to cut down on the queuing that was a feature of the event last year.

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #28 on: 03 December, 2015, 08:19:35 am »
Weather not getting any better: http://www.weatherbagel.com/f/aec5c7ef-9db1-408c-8cd7-1ad9c61e54fe

Is a > 50mph headwind too much to ride into?

« Reply #29 on: 03 December, 2015, 08:59:59 am »
I have to say that with the forecast of heavy rain and gale force winds, I am seriously considering not riding. Rain I can put up with but winds gusting 40 to 50 mph, I don't fancy at all. I won't decide until tomorrow, but it doesn't look good.

« Reply #30 on: 03 December, 2015, 09:02:25 am »
I have to say that with the forecast of heavy rain and gale force winds, I am seriously considering not riding. Rain I can put up with but winds gusting 40 to 50 mph, I don't fancy at all. I won't decide until tomorrow, but it doesn't look good.

I am considering the same. The rain I can handle but the wind potentially makes it unsafe which is my greatest concern.

« Reply #31 on: 03 December, 2015, 09:07:06 am »
MetCheck more helpfully gives a range of windspeeds, this is the forecast for Rugby on Saturday:

« Reply #32 on: 03 December, 2015, 10:03:11 am »
The Met Office tell a different story.
Heavy overcast. No rain. Windspeed 24 - 25 mph SW. 40 mph + gusts.

The MetCheck forecast above indicates a predicted precipitation of 0.4mm over a three hour period. That's equivalent to a dozen drops every quarter of an hour into a 1 sq" raingauge. 0.4mm in three hours will result in the cyclists leaving a trail of steam. Body heat can get rid of that ammount easily.
The 'feels like' suggests shorts and leave longs at home.
The windspeed is only your enemy for 25 % of the loop, unless its being channelled by trees. Then it could rise to 30%.
For a different 25 - 30%, it will push you along.

« Reply #33 on: 03 December, 2015, 10:33:11 am »
Last weekend I bailed on a ride because of the wind- the headwind was wearing me down but the buffeting had me lose control of the bike. Being blown into the verge is unpleasant. Being blown into an oncoming lorry is deadly.
It's only a bike ride, and if the weather looks dangerous - as opposed to 'not fun'- I won't ride. Hours of pi$$ing rain would be (relatively) fine.

Planet X Paul

• The Green Machine
« Reply #34 on: 03 December, 2015, 12:29:46 pm »
Just looked at the BBC Weather for Coventry, and it suggests no rain, but wind gusts all day from SW between 40-50mph.  I'm travelling down from Wirral, so not exactly local for me.  What to do....  ???

« Reply #35 on: 03 December, 2015, 01:45:36 pm »
The Met Office tell a different story.
Heavy overcast. No rain. Windspeed 24 - 25 mph SW. 40 mph + gusts.

The MetCheck forecast above indicates a predicted precipitation of 0.4mm over a three hour period. That's equivalent to a dozen drops every quarter of an hour into a 1 sq" raingauge. 0.4mm in three hours will result in the cyclists leaving a trail of steam. Body heat can get rid of that ammount easily.
The 'feels like' suggests shorts and leave longs at home.
The windspeed is only your enemy for 25 % of the loop, unless its being channelled by trees. Then it could rise to 30%.
For a different 25 - 30%, it will push you along.

The wind is forecast from SW  so on the second leg it will be from the front right, on the third leg it will be from the front left.  I had this on Tuesday but the wind speed was lower than predicted  15 - 20 and it was hard work.
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #36 on: 04 December, 2015, 10:33:52 am »
I am almost 100% sure I'm not going start this event.  The wind forecasts are getting worse and not better and with the gusts as they are I just wouldn't feel safe out on the road. 

I'm going to make a final decision this afternoon on the off-chance the forecasts miraculously improve.

MetCheck, BBC, MetOffice, Weather Bagel

I'm gutted as I was really looking forward to riding it.  I hate DNSing.

Apologies Geoff.

« Reply #37 on: 04 December, 2015, 11:24:47 am »
Usual Audaxy bike then.

That's saved 12lb.

« Reply #38 on: 04 December, 2015, 11:29:41 am »
I hate this. I know the "right" thing to do is to say with winds gusting upto 50 mph, don't ride. It's only a bike ride, better to be safe and ride another day than go out and have an accident. Headwinds are hard work. Tail winds great fun. But side winds, especially gusty ones, can be dangerous.

But part of me says, no. It's a ride that I have looked forward to for a couple of months and I want to ride it.

I think it might be the sensible side of my head that wins in the end.  :(

« Reply #39 on: 04 December, 2015, 11:49:14 am »
My Smith is quite poorly and I don't think I want to drive a van in those winds...   :-\

I'll make my mind up later today.

« Reply #40 on: 04 December, 2015, 03:52:24 pm »
Unfortunately it's not worth for me with that wind. Absolutely gutted but I'm going to DNS this ride. Feel sorry for the org as sounds like there may be a few.

« Reply #41 on: 04 December, 2015, 04:08:00 pm »
I have only entered the 100k, but its looking like it will be another DNS from me.

Was really looking forward to riding this event again, especially as I DNS'd last year too (ice!)

Still have'nt made my mind up and watching the BBC weather website every hour or so.

« Reply #42 on: 04 December, 2015, 04:08:29 pm »
Decision made, I'm not going to start I'm afraid. :( 

Just wouldn't feel safe in that wind.

« Reply #43 on: 04 December, 2015, 04:13:10 pm »
I DNS'd last year because I was ill, and Mr Smith DNS'd for the weather (ice).

This year, we're DNS-ing because he's ill, and I don't like that weather.  :facepalm:

Sorry Geoff  :(

« Reply #44 on: 04 December, 2015, 04:18:35 pm »
Sorry Geoff, but I am afraid I must join the lengthening list of DNS'ers. With winds gusting up to 50 mph I don't feel it would be safe.

« Reply #45 on: 04 December, 2015, 04:24:45 pm »
Bike is fettled (a bit).  Peak forecast gust at Cov has now dropped below 50 mph.  Just trying to decide whether my new jacket will clash with my rose-tinted shades  8)

Planet X Paul

• The Green Machine
« Reply #46 on: 04 December, 2015, 07:06:30 pm »
Don't know what to do.  I'm booked into the travelogde in Tamworth tonight so that im near the start in the morning but don't know whether to travel or not. It's blowing a hoolie here in Wirral and just seen the forecast on bbc which again says gusts to 50mph.

« Reply #47 on: 04 December, 2015, 07:33:35 pm »
This is not looking good. I really want to do this but I've got the start of man flu... That and the wind is making me feel this is a bad idea.
I'll see how I feel in the morning.
I'll be gutted if I don't start, this is my only opportunity to ride a calendar this month, scuppering my RRTY. (Why are all the local ones on the same day!?!)
Is it possible to do this as a perm? Is there enough time to get that sorted for next Sunday?

John

« Reply #48 on: 04 December, 2015, 07:44:47 pm »
No idea on timing but Geoff's Two Battles perm is the one you want: http://aukweb.net/perms/detail/GC01/

Planet X Paul

• The Green Machine
« Reply #49 on: 04 December, 2015, 08:06:59 pm »
Just been for a walk round the block to see what it's like out there.  Very windy and that has made my mind up not to travel.  So a DNS for me. Now I need to find another 200 to keep my RRTY alive.