Author Topic: [HAMR] OYTT and the Weather  (Read 2186 times)

[HAMR] OYTT and the Weather
« on: 17 November, 2015, 10:28:10 am »
Reading previous accounts of the attempts and following our recent 3, now 2 intrepid attempted record breakers,  one reoccurring theme that is largely beyond the control of the riders is the weather.

Naturally there are greater dangers on the road and breakdown etc happen, but it does seem to be the inclement / windy weather which is most trialling.

Twenty odd years ago in the CTC magazine, then editor Tim Hughes ran a series of articles from a guy called David Bowen an ex Royal Navy meteorologist who had extensive records that gave a series of weekly and fortnightly trends on likely weather conditions throughout the year.

These do hold water as I compared them for a number of years and found them to be pretty much spot on.

Is anyone using these in providing Steve advice?

Also given the area in which Steve lives and rides, another CTC member Richard N Hutchens of Bedford published a book / pamphlets entitled something like "Quiet Wind Assisted Rides (between Rail Stations) which took into account terrain and wind directions. The routes were researched by volunteers and for a number of years the author could be found in the CTC Rally marquee at York with his trusty Moulton that he lent to volunteers who carried out research across the country for him.

Anybody remember or ever use either of these two sources?

Re: OYTT and the Weather
« Reply #1 on: 17 November, 2015, 12:49:17 pm »

Also given the area in which Steve lives and rides, another CTC member Richard N Hutchens of Bedford published a book / pamphlets entitled something like "Quiet Wind Assisted Rides (between Rail Stations) which took into account terrain and wind directions. The routes were researched by volunteers and for a number of years the author could be found in the CTC Rally marquee at York with his trusty Moulton that he lent to volunteers who carried out research across the country for him.

Anybody remember or ever use either of these two sources?

I have both books/pamphlets on my book shelf (from 1990s I think). I don't think they would be much use to Steve because of a) the generic nature of "wind assisted", b) some of the routes will be quite 'scenic' (read that as hilly and often small lanes), and c) there will be new roads built since then. I think Steve is much better off looking at near-term weather forecasts and planning his next day or twos riding based on that more accurate information and using roads/routes he is familiar with (as he seems to be doing).

Interesting point about likely trends in weather though. What is indicated for the coming weeks?

« Reply #2 on: 17 November, 2015, 01:04:23 pm »
November 16-24th:- Colder, with east wind risk and night frost
November 25-30th:- Milder spells returning, risk of rain and gales
December 1 -8th:- Cold snap early in the month; some snow, then wet
December 9- 16th:- Milder, but some snow at first on higher ground

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #3 on: 18 November, 2015, 08:44:15 am »
The problem is that we tend to get blocks of weather - so the wind has been set in the south and west for a week or so.  At 200 - 250mpd even if he had started at Lands End he would have run out of the UK by now.  Kurt, in theory, with 3000 miles of the US to play with has more of an advantage. 

The UK is also a windy place despite its relative lack of wind turbines, sitting in the 50s latitudes with a socking great ocean next to us.  I was on a conference call with someone from Sydney last night whilst walking back from the station with bits of tree being blown down at me and I recalled from my 4 years there that gale force 8 winds were almost unknown there.

But then Tommy Godwin set his record in the UK at a time when there were a lot many days below zero than there are now and before industrialised gritting of road surfaces.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4 on: 18 November, 2015, 11:51:40 am »
Relative lack of wind turbines? Not round here
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #5 on: 18 November, 2015, 12:33:47 pm »
We're behind Germany, Ireland, Portugal, Spain, Denmark on windpower as proportion of energy but a little ahead of France and Italy.  The big difference is that we have more of ours offshore than most - with the 3 largest offshore wind farms anywhere.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #6 on: 18 November, 2015, 12:47:30 pm »
I'm puzzled why Steve isn't using the recumbent in windy conditions.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 18 November, 2015, 01:08:58 pm »
I'm puzzled why Steve isn't using the recumbent in windy conditions.

I don't think he still has it?

Agreed that a recumbent trike is the right tool for the job in this wind (boundary layer effect, shelter from hedges, easier to control), though it can be miserable in the wet as your whole body is in the splash zone.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #8 on: 18 November, 2015, 02:49:09 pm »
Wasn't it up on eBay a few months ago?

My comment about the wind turbines was rather more local. We're running out of non-Lake District National Park hills to put them on and have two large (and expanding) off-shore arrays just off the coast. It's amazing how many there are (though it ties in with how windy it is up here)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #9 on: 18 November, 2015, 08:14:31 pm »
A better Q might be:
I'm puzzled why Steve isn't using the recumbent in windy conditions. all the time, as he would be racking up more miles in all conditions.
I suspect the answer is the same, but I shouldnt claim to know what he's thinking without any definite statement on the subject.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #10 on: 18 November, 2015, 09:16:00 pm »
I love 'bents, but still dislike being at vehicle exhaust pipes at eye level.

Steve set out to do the 'Tommy' challenge and he may have a view about trying to emulate it on a bike similar to Tommy's, rather than what has largely developed in the last twenty years

(Ok I know that 'bents have been around a longer time)

Note: something to ask him at the end of his year.

« Reply #11 on: 19 November, 2015, 01:10:39 pm »
Reading previous accounts of the attempts and following our recent 3, now 2 intrepid attempted record breakers,  one reoccurring theme that is largely beyond the control of the riders is the weather.

Naturally there are greater dangers on the road and breakdown etc happen, but it does seem to be the inclement / windy weather which is most trialling.

Twenty odd years ago in the CTC magazine, then editor Tim Hughes ran a series of articles from a guy called David Bowen an ex Royal Navy meteorologist who had extensive records that gave a series of weekly and fortnightly trends on likely weather conditions throughout the year.

I Well remember Tim (and Audrey ) Hughes plus children. Not only was he an excellent editor but knew what he was doing with a camera.  There has been mention of Steve's untidy room. Well this is the height of absolute tidyness compared to the Hughes bike storage in the garage.  Any one else who knew them would confirm that!