Author Topic: The Dean  (Read 99954 times)

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
Re: The Dean
« Reply #275 on: 18 March, 2018, 06:57:32 pm »
Nice to meet you yesterday mate
Good effort and nothing to be disgusted about !
Unless someone else in ACH pulls off a miracle before, looks like your name's already on at least one of this year's ACH trophies.

J

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #276 on: 18 March, 2018, 08:13:09 pm »
Unless someone else in ACH pulls off a miracle before, looks like your name's already on at least one of this year's ACH trophies.

J

Best mudguards?
Rule 77

« Reply #277 on: 18 March, 2018, 08:34:20 pm »
Trouble right from the start as I discovered that I hadn't packed cycling shorts. Start the ride in boxers under fleece leggings and diverted after Stow to try and find some in Tewkesbury. Alas the only pair in town were decidedly too small and I had to wait until Parkend before I could get some much needed padding.

Crossing the Severn Bridge wasn't the slowest I've ever done but certainly the toughest. Maintaining a constant lean is bloody hard.

Discovered that Mrs. TSK wasn't too far behind so loitered at Malmesbury to ride the last 100k together. Snow wasn't too bad then although did mean walking up the Hackpen switchback and careful descending to Rockley. Miraculously almost all the road to Ramsbury was clear. The climb up to Membury, not so much. I had to have a little walk early on after loosing traction while being overgeared. We did make the services with a few minutes to spare.

Saw Lee K roll in and head straight to the main services. We thought about bailing then but the prospect of putting manky clothes back on in the morning and still having to get back to Oxford ended that. We pressed on with a couple of hours to make it back we thought we might just make it. Alas the snow really kicked in slowed almost any progress. For the record, the bench was snow free owing to the high winds. Alas, I  suffred similarly on the A420 and kept clogging up. (Definitely should have ridden the CX bike). Still, it was definitely better than hitting the lanes to get back.

We finally made it back to Peartree about an hour late and Mrs. TSK has finished her first 300k. Will optimistically submit brevet cards and hope the validation secretary is feeling kind. Based on experience, the effort put in was commensurate with that of a 400k ride, a hard one at that.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #278 on: 18 March, 2018, 10:05:21 pm »
I see that other events have announced that Audax Rules allow riders to ride the route as a Perm within 30 days when there is extreme weather, so long as riders pick up their Brevet Card at the start (Gently Bentley, Occasionally Hilly, Mad March Exeter Excursion for example). Is this option available for The Dean?

See AUK FORUM for Q and Reply; copied here:

As an Organiser you have a Duty of Care to take “reasonable measures” to ensure the safety of your event,
for both participants and volunteers. Plan ahead for adverse weather conditions - whilst you can’t control
the weather there are plenty of things you can do to maximise the ability to run the event.
However, regardless of your contingency plans, there will be occasions when the conditions dictate that it
simply is not possibly to hold your event safely (e.g. Met Office Amber or Red weather warnings) either for
the riders, yourself or your helpers.
Riders have THEIR responsibility to assess the conditions and decide for themselves whether or not to ride
(they should not assume that conditions are safe because you haven’t cancelled the event). But this does
not mean that you are absolved of your responsibilities, so in extreme weather circumstances you may have
to make a decision whether to go ahead with the event or not at short notice.
Audax UK policy is to try to avoid unnecessary cancelations. But if you do decide that you cannot hold your
event because of weather conditions, you can agree with the Events Team to run your event as a “Weather
Cancelled Event” – this allows you to re-run the event for the original participants within 30 days of the
original date. Within this period you can choose whether to allow riders to ride at a time of their own
choosing (permanent style), or to arrange your own re-scheduled date (or a combination) – different options
will suit different events. You should contact the Events Secretary for more details.

However, you have to arrange to run a "Weather Cancelled Event" in advance. You can't run your event as normal and subsequently ask to run it as a weather cancelled event also.

I ran my Cheltenham Flyer events on Sat with 56% DNS/DNF. The Dean also ran (?) with even more disastrous DNF, so above applies?
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #279 on: 19 March, 2018, 12:43:23 am »
[OHO]

No.

The important part is

>However, you have to arrange to run a "Weather Cancelled Event" in advance.

Retrospective permission for such is not permitted.

[/OHO]
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

halhorner

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #280 on: 19 March, 2018, 07:52:58 am »
That might have been me. Think you must be the couple who passed me as I was changing a tube just beyond Ramsbury...thanks for stopping to check I was ok. Hell of a ride for a first 300!

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #281 on: 19 March, 2018, 08:24:53 am »
I ran my Cheltenham Flyer events on Sat with 56% DNS/DNF. The Dean also ran (?) with even more disastrous DNF, so above applies?

I ran the Cambridge Pork Pie and Spring Dash events with about two-thirds DNS on the 200 and half on the 100, and of those who started about one-third abandoned at some point on both, mostly due to the combined wind and cold (and therefore wind-chill).

I believe it was the correct decision to go ahead — the conditions weren't as bad around Cambridge as they were the other side of the country and there were just a couple of patches where windward slopes had trapped the blown snow and there was a little slush on the road; everywhere else was clear, dry and ice-free.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #282 on: 19 March, 2018, 09:18:58 am »
I believe it was the correct decision to go ahead

Absolutely. (In the case of The Dean)

The first half of The Dean, although on the slightly cooler half of comfortable, was absolutey brilliant. I even had conversations along the lines of the DNSers have missed out here.

Yes the weather turned, but even at my snails pace later on and because conditions were so favourable to begin with,the ride was still finishable.
My DNF came from mental weakness the pragmatic view of logistics -I couldn't warrant the cost of holing up at Peartree for another night, what with the Wessex weekend next week too, and absolutely could not expect my wife to pick me up at 0200.
Rule 77

« Reply #283 on: 19 March, 2018, 10:39:30 am »
The turn in the weather from the climb over the Cotswold Escarpment  to Marlborough was remarkable with an air temperature of -4 and wind chill down to -10 ( according to Dark Sky’s App) and blizzard like conditions with gusty winds driving snow and the roads covered in snow. I was lucky to meet up with another rider (Tim) before Malmesbury and have his suppport over to Membury Services. There we were joined ( around 21:30 ) by 3 other riders for the final 50 km back to Oxford. Finally finished around 00:30. I doubt I would have been able to press on without the support of Tim and these other lads.

« Reply #284 on: 19 March, 2018, 11:25:16 am »
heartening to read others found this a toughie.  After an eventful day, for Rus and me the snow came again as we left Marlborough and headed up the Kennet valley to Ramsbury.  The snow was now lying and covering the road in some of the villages.  The wind felt a bit like sandblasting. As we climbed up onto the downs it all seemed very remote. I dreaded the idea of a mechnical - Rus said we would defo knock on a door for shelter but I was not sure we wd find one. At least we were going uphill on the snow, speeding downhill when you could not see the surface would be a different matter. After a hot drink at the service station we pressed on anyway and made it back around 11.30.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #285 on: 19 March, 2018, 12:09:08 pm »
...after a hot drink at the service station we pressed on anyway and made it back around 11.30.

Which is about the fastest I've ever got round! :)

« Reply #286 on: 19 March, 2018, 12:09:44 pm »
The turn in the weather from the climb over the Cotswold Escarpment  to Marlborough was remarkable with an air temperature of -4 and wind chill down to -10 ( according to Dark Sky’s App) and blizzard like conditions with gusty winds driving snow and the roads covered in snow. I was lucky to meet up with another rider (Tim) before Malmesbury and have his suppport over to Membury Services. There we were joined ( around 21:30 ) by 3 other riders for the final 50 km back to Oxford. Finally finished around 00:30. I doubt I would have been able to press on without the support of Tim and these other lads.

Thanks for the support and company for the last couple of legs. I suspect I'd have packed at Membury otherwise!

« Reply #287 on: 19 March, 2018, 03:25:18 pm »

Hi Mark, I was one of the five, and my wheel-tracks you followed through virgin snow up to Membury! Lovely to meet you. And if the photos you took of me rolling through that foot-deep flood shortly before turn out any good, I'd love to have a look. My best memories include Jeremy's icicle encrusted beard, and his answer to the info question about the colour of the street in Marlborough: "Fuckin' pure white, man!"

Rob

« Reply #288 on: 19 March, 2018, 04:36:37 pm »
I suspect the validation secretaries may get instructions regarding acceptable alternative colours for the two info questions.... ;D

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #289 on: 19 March, 2018, 04:37:11 pm »
My Cheltenham New Flyer 200 (same day) used similar roads around Marlborough Downs; Vale of Pewsey, Lacock but went through Lacock before 17:00. They returned to finish by 21:00 when snow was settling and temp around neg 3. I had a 61% DNS on the 200. Technically, my event was not subject to the longer (+5hrs) night phase of the Dean and further West. If mine had been a 300 I question if I would have continued (i.e., postponed/cancelled) having heard the forecast. Orgs decision but riders respond accordingly! I had 2 Control teams down route with food and Halls booked, so quite a logistics nightmare to Cancel and re-organise. A very difficult decision to call in marginal conditions.

As compensation I am offering all my DNSs a free (event funded) Perm.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

« Reply #290 on: 19 March, 2018, 07:56:02 pm »
Hi Rob
It was very reassuring for me and Tim to have your tracks to follow. We were both worried about the roads icing up beneath us on the run in to Membury. I have a short video clip of you riding through the ford and if you message me on 07815042606 I’ll what’s app it over to you. It was great to team up with you and the other two lads at Membury in conditions that were more akin to winter moutaineering than cycling.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #291 on: 19 March, 2018, 10:00:38 pm »
To those who decided not to finish - sometimes that's the sensible option - it's only going to get later and colder and icier.
My one and only rrty took 23 months, as what for would have been the original 12th I DNFd an overnight before-dinner dart at 2:30am on account of the weather (head on snow) and holed up in a hotel lobby until there were trains.
It was a fantastic experience when I was riding (snow only wtarted after an hour).  But the possibility of falling over, knocking myself out and getting hypothermia aren't on my to-do list.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed. 
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #292 on: 19 March, 2018, 10:43:52 pm »

J

Best mudguards?

Not half as nifty as your '58 Pattern bastardised large-pack Carradice
 :demon:

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #293 on: 20 March, 2018, 09:06:18 am »
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

This  :thumbsup:
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #294 on: 20 March, 2018, 07:21:17 pm »
ACH would like to thank all the riders who have sent such kind thanks for hosting The Dean 2018
It makes it all worth it.

ACH X

« Reply #295 on: 20 March, 2018, 08:52:47 pm »
An amazing thread. What a hardy and intrepid group.  Please validate Seldom Killer and Mrs SK's ride.  Anisa Aubin is a total legend
#makewattsnotwar

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #296 on: 20 March, 2018, 09:12:13 pm »
I totally dropped Anisa on the first stage... mostly by taking a wrong turn and going off route. :)

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #297 on: 21 March, 2018, 08:05:20 pm »
An amazing thread. What a hardy and intrepid group.  Please validate Seldom Killer and Mrs SK's ride.  Anisa Aubin is a total legend
Rules are rules and I do not know the regulations well enough to know if ACP has scope to validate.
BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #298 on: 21 March, 2018, 10:28:25 pm »
I believe that in 2007, they added an extra hour or two to PBP due to the exceptional weather conditions, which were somewhat less exceptional that we'd encountered on the 2006 Bryan Chapman, both of which were mere rain and wind.  I didn't venture out at the weekend, but there was the small matter of 10cm snow that landed on Saturday night not too far from the Dean route.  I would hazard that was more exceptional that PBP2007 (although before anyone gets there - snow on PBP would be unusual)

Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #299 on: 21 March, 2018, 11:19:15 pm »
For PBP, ACP pretty much make it up as they go along, not even following their own published schedule for control time opening & closing times, so I don't think one can rely on that as precedent.

Article 10 of the BRM rules suggests some lattitude at intermediate controls might be possible if a rider is delayed by factors that are a) unforseen and b) outside their control.
Certainly the weather was outside the control of riders, but I don't know that it can be said to have been unforseen.  Forecasts that I saw were pretty grim - and seem not to have been inaccurate.   

And I'm not sure there is any tolerance available on the time limits at the finish.  The French version "les delais impartis" suggests to me that it is a hard deadline without the possibility of tolerance that may be applied to the intermediate controls.

All that is not to say I would be against an appeal on behalf of those who finished hors délai - just that I'm not sure on what grounds it might succeed.