Author Topic: Pins and needles/shocks  (Read 1538 times)

paul851

Pins and needles/shocks
« on: 23 April, 2019, 04:08:13 pm »
I have been having issues since mid February with constant pins and needles in my arms  and hands and sudden shocks of varying intensity from mild to buckle at the knees that go from my neck down my back ,arms and legs. spoken to the GP who sent me for a MRI scan , results back today saying everything is normal so no fractures or herniated disc etc . I did have to visit A&E a few weeks back when the symptoms seemed to be getting worse and the Neurologist there said it was a common cycling related issue that was permanent  :o and was caused by irritation to the nerves as they left the spinal column  which is a new one on me , anyone heard of it,suffered from it or have a name for it ? as it will probably 10-14 days before I can get an appointment to discuss it with my GP so I may as well try for a googlenosis in the meantime  ;D

Paul

Re: Pins and needles/shocks
« Reply #1 on: 23 April, 2019, 04:37:16 pm »
You can get those symptoms when nerves are over-stretched.

When do you get these symptoms? In particular positions? At certain times (e.g. post exercise, when getting up in the morning)?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

paul851

« Reply #2 on: 23 April, 2019, 05:43:48 pm »
More or less all the time , looking down will guarantee a shock and as I'm a machinist at a local engineering firm I'm always looking down at the machine controls  (RSI ? )  the pins and needles along the arms and the sensation of numbness in the hands is constant  .

Paul

« Reply #3 on: 24 April, 2019, 08:41:53 am »
Don't do googlenosis

Push for appointment with GP.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #4 on: 24 April, 2019, 10:52:42 pm »
Cervical radiculopathy.

See your GP. MRI scans not always accurate. Neurologist or spinal surgeon.

paul851

« Reply #5 on: 25 April, 2019, 06:25:08 am »
Managed to get in to see the GP and have been referred to a neurologist ,

Paul

paul851

« Reply #6 on: 01 May, 2019, 11:25:42 am »
Cervical radiculopathy.

See your GP. MRI scans not always accurate. Neurologist or spinal surgeon.
Had a quick read up on Cervical radiculopathy and it doesn’t really match my symptoms but a bit of searching around did bring up Lhermitte's sign or Barbers chair syndrome which is a perfect match apart from the tingling,numbness and pins and needles in various other parts of my body . I don’t see the neurologist until the middle of June  but at least I can amuse/terrorise myself until then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 01 May, 2019, 09:39:09 pm »
I first had L'Hermitte's phenomenon in May 1990...

It's never been particularly painful or distressing.

paul851

« Reply #8 on: 01 May, 2019, 09:56:18 pm »
No pain as such just a sudden shock of varying intensity from a gentle buzz to a gnnnnnnnnnnn and a few expletives and no not really distressing just somewhat disconcerting as I had no idea what it was or why it is happening but at least I now have a name for it .