Author Topic: Windsor-Chester-Windsor  (Read 2722 times)

Windsor-Chester-Windsor
« on: 20 May, 2008, 12:20:43 pm »
Some of my earliest memories of Audax were of a 600km event known as the Windsor-Chester-Windsor in the late 70's as I was asked to give a clubmate a lift to the start and back again from the finish the next day.

I believe this was the first ever 600k in the UK and ran from the very beginning of Audax UK in (1975?) until 1996? and also had its own unique medal.

Although as I remember, the route was nearly all on main roads, some of which would be almost suicidal to cycle on now, I do think it is a real shame that this event was dis-continued and a true classic event lost.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Windsor-Chester-Windsor
« Reply #1 on: 20 May, 2008, 03:45:34 pm »
I did it in 1994, my first 600.

Some of the main road stretches were boring and now seem so busy (see 'least favourite stretch of road' thread) that it might be unwise to continue.

Running a ride like this needs many helpers; WCW had three starting places (Marlow, Kidderminster and Knutsford) and the controls were therefore open most of the time.

I can't blame anyone for wanting to give up after running a ride for many years.

Very few of the 'Classic' rides I did when I started Audaxing still run. Some were undersubscribed.

Life moves on...

« Reply #2 on: 20 May, 2008, 03:49:13 pm »
I never did it because everyone said it was 'orrible - main roads and traffic. Then it ceased to be and I regretted not doing it. Oh well...

« Reply #3 on: 20 May, 2008, 05:27:20 pm »
This was my very first 600 back in 1984.

Some of us started from a tent just north of Shifnal, then Stow-on -the-Wold, Bicester and down to Beaconsfield. Then back to Bicester, then a workmans hut near Martin Hussingtree, Shifnal, Prees  Heath then up into Cheshire to the organisers house. Retrace to Shifnal to finish.

The roads were quite busy even then.

Next time I did it was 1992 and the start was in Kidderminster. Route was basicaly down to Marlow then back to Kidderminster. Up to Knuttsford services and back to Kidderminster.

Traffic was much heavier by then.

Not too hilly for a 600 and not that much scope to go off-route either.
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

« Reply #4 on: 20 May, 2008, 06:30:59 pm »
Don't you believe it. On the tin is says Windsor- Chester -Windsor, so Chester is where we went, the fact that the turn was at Knutsford escaped us.  ::-)

Martin

« Reply #5 on: 20 May, 2008, 08:21:04 pm »
my clubmate Paul Harris rode this as his only ever 600 (and the only one at the time apparently) in 1987 to qualify for PBP; how long was it before any others appeared?

The Stonehenge 200 had its 27th edition this year so must have been around almost as long; and that too is a victim of crazy roads in that it no longer goes to Stonehenge.