Author Topic: [LEL17] Volunteers: Who is in?  (Read 33237 times)

[LEL17] Volunteers: Who is in?
« on: 07 January, 2017, 11:33:47 am »
As an echo to the "who is in" thread for riders, I think a similar thread will make volunteers feel like they are already well into the event, so here we go!  Who is in, and possibly where?

The two of us are in for Barnard Castle.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
Re: Volunteers: Who is in?
« Reply #1 on: 07 January, 2017, 11:47:00 am »
I'm registered to help at Brampton for the duration :)

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #2 on: 07 January, 2017, 12:00:31 pm »
Volunteers are awesome!

« Reply #3 on: 07 January, 2017, 12:09:44 pm »

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4 on: 07 January, 2017, 01:27:21 pm »
I'm at Barnard Castle this time.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #5 on: 07 January, 2017, 01:29:35 pm »
Mrs FB may be able to lend a hand at registration and at St Ives on Day1 .. grandchildren permitting ..I shall be there for certain and at the finish on the last day too
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #6 on: 07 January, 2017, 01:40:17 pm »
Due to an unfortunate incident with a ballot, I find myself now available for service during the event.  I'm likely to keep it simple and offer my help at London - I enjoyed working the registration last time and would hope to be able to do that again, and then hopefully some of the time at the end as well.

I've also offered to do another set of eyes routecheck of the middle 1400km and am still quite keen to do this even though the need for training miles is somewhat lessened.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #7 on: 07 January, 2017, 02:17:14 pm »
I don't yet know what the summer hols childcare situation is for the summer so don't know if I'm available at all.  Using the logic of last year (first one to directly ask me gets me) I might show my face in Barnie, if I am....

*idly ponders if I could beat my last year achievement of volunteering in 4 separate controls*

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #8 on: 07 January, 2017, 04:32:02 pm »
At the start for the Saturday to help with registration, and Sunday to help with the starts. Last time I started, this time I won't.
That bit will be difficult.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #9 on: 07 January, 2017, 06:07:16 pm »
I'm going to Spalding, probably because of all my experience of flat countryside.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #10 on: 07 January, 2017, 06:15:31 pm »
I shall be assisting at Pocklington, as I am unlikely to be taking my guaranteed place due to having better things to spend £319 on - like food and stuff!  ;)
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

« Reply #11 on: 07 January, 2017, 07:20:22 pm »
Ive been allocated to Spalding - being time rich (ie retired) I've put myself down as available for the whole event. I'm too unfit and no longer daft enough to consider riding, but I'm up for having a go at the control. It's gonna be a learning curve!
(If you Facebook, there's a 'London Edinburgh London Volunteers' group - search)

Sent from my brain to my iPad using my fingers and Tapatalk
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #12 on: 07 January, 2017, 07:28:00 pm »
Assigned to Great Easton so the last leg when some will be on their last leg whilst others will probably want to not stop and just push on (whether its in their legs or not).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 07 January, 2017, 07:29:19 pm »
*idly ponders if I could beat my last year achievement of volunteering in 4 separate controls*

Bonus points for travelling between them by bike.

Martin

« Reply #14 on: 07 January, 2017, 07:57:50 pm »
yes; preferably on one of the Fenland controls

« Reply #15 on: 07 January, 2017, 08:25:32 pm »
Applied for help in Brompton, hope that they will hire me  :o

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #16 on: 07 January, 2017, 09:36:15 pm »

Bonus points for travelling between them by bike.

I was under the impression during the leg to Great Easton that she was doing exactly that (hence her sig).

She's keeping quiet about this
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #17 on: 08 January, 2017, 08:17:11 am »
Applied for help in Brompton, hope that they will hire me  :o

It will be good to see you again heinim :thumbsup:

« Reply #18 on: 08 January, 2017, 08:53:12 am »
I'm holding the fort in London, though I may pop up to Louth to help my husband by pointing out what he's doing wrong.

« Reply #19 on: 08 January, 2017, 11:04:04 am »
Volunteering this time. Innerliethen I think.
Started audax with LEL & SR in 2013. Currently working on fitness and trying for a RRtY in 2024. Event organiser, Arrivée photo contributor & LEL controller

« Reply #20 on: 08 January, 2017, 11:21:47 am »
My wife and I are helping at Louth for the duration. Taking the caravan with us (not sure about parking it yet) so we can have a holiday afterwards.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #21 on: 08 January, 2017, 04:26:24 pm »
Many volunteers perhaps endure LEL at least as much as some riders - volunteering certainly isn't easy, but as I look back I just remember the joy at being able to say hello to hundreds of fellow audax riders and assist them in their endeavour. Perhaps that was the extrovert in me. I wonder what it will be like the other way round... Will riding be as much fun? Will I be as bouncy and joyous arriving at the controls as I was greeting riders in 2013. I'm looking forward to a new perspective on this event - and deeply grateful to anyone who volunteers so that we riders can have the best chance of making it over the finish line.

Audax should not be a journey to the Arrivee with the intention of arriving with bundles of spare energy and in fresh lycra, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” (Hunter 'Randonneur' Thompson)

« Reply #22 on: 08 January, 2017, 06:41:42 pm »
Papa fboab is planning to return to Eskdalemuir.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #23 on: 08 January, 2017, 06:51:14 pm »
Volunteering anywhere.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #24 on: 08 January, 2017, 07:07:24 pm »
Many volunteers perhaps endure LEL at least as much as some riders - volunteering certainly isn't easy, but as I look back I just remember the joy at being able to say hello to hundreds of fellow audax riders and assist them in their endeavour. Perhaps that was the extrovert in me. I wonder what it will be like the other way round... Will riding be as much fun? Will I be as bouncy and joyous arriving at the controls as I was greeting riders in 2013. I'm looking forward to a new perspective on this event - and deeply grateful to anyone who volunteers so that we riders can have the best chance of making it over the finish line.

Audax should not be a journey to the Arrivee with the intention of arriving with bundles of spare energy and in fresh lycra, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” (Hunter 'Randonneur' Thompson)
Could you please keep the noise down at our control? Super, thanks.

(and say hello when you get to St Ives :) )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles