Author Topic: [LEL17] Any chance for wheel truing at registration?  (Read 3074 times)

[LEL17] Any chance for wheel truing at registration?
« on: 25 July, 2017, 07:07:27 pm »
During travel my front wheel went out of true. Any chance there will be a mechanic with spoke wrench at registration?  Traveling with family very tough to visit a shop.

Phil W

Re: Any chance for wheel truing at registration?
« Reply #1 on: 25 July, 2017, 07:40:32 pm »
I will have my car in the volunteer parking area during Sat registration.

I'll bring my wheel truing stand, my spoke tension meter, and my at home spoke key.  Are the spokes intact, or have some broken? I'll chuck in my box of "working on the bike tools" and mechanic's gloves as well. I don't have any spare rim tape as I run tubeless on my road bike and it's a different setup. So if you can pick some up assuming you won't be able to put the rim tape back once it's been peeled away. If it's reusuable rim tape then all good. I'll bring one of my spare rims as well, but please please please let it not require a new rim.

I think Roger is going to bring a few home mechanic tools along as well. Pretty sure I heard there's going to be a bike work stand at Registration. First come first served etc.  Alwyn may also already have a volunteer assigned to help with this kind of stuff in which case great.

If there is an assigned volunteer then ask them if not then come find me.   I don't intend to get my hands dirty with fixing bikes on Sat but I can help you get the wheel sorted.  Hint you'll be doing the sorting, under supervision if necessary.

« Reply #2 on: 25 July, 2017, 07:48:44 pm »
I can throw some re-usable rim tape in my bag.   Pre-loved but still OK.

« Reply #3 on: 25 July, 2017, 07:55:37 pm »
Thanks so much! Spokes intact. Don't trust myself to true them - would need an experienced mechanic.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #4 on: 28 July, 2017, 02:24:25 pm »
Thanks so much! Spokes intact. Don't trust myself to true them - would need an experienced mechanic.

I know it's a bit late now but retruing is a simple operation, you don't need anything except a spoke key.   Most multitools have a crude spoke key.  Do trust yourself.  It's not much trust.  Most mechanics barely know what they are doing

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #5 on: 28 July, 2017, 02:33:24 pm »
+1 to Vorsprung

« Reply #6 on: 28 July, 2017, 02:33:31 pm »

I know it's a bit late now but retruing is a simple operation, you don't need anything except a spoke key.   Most multitools have a crude spoke key.  Do trust yourself.  It's not much trust. Most mechanics barely know what they are doing

I recall Vorsprung doing a sterling job sorting wheels at Brampton last time and ensured riders could continue with confidence.  That wheel sorting stuff is something missing from my cycle mechanic tool box and I can understand why those without the experience and skill would not want to trust themselves prior to a ride of significant distance and investment.  Much better to leave the 'witchcraft'* or science* to someone who looks like* or knows* what they are doing.

* Delete as appropriate.

« Reply #7 on: 28 July, 2017, 02:51:13 pm »
This thread has encouraged me to take my jig & spoke key to Moffat in case anyone needs it.

There's nothing like a bit of experimentation on your wheels 500K into a 1400K ride  :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 28 July, 2017, 02:58:23 pm »

I know it's a bit late now but retruing is a simple operation, you don't need anything except a spoke key.   Most multitools have a crude spoke key.  Do trust yourself.  It's not much trust.  Most mechanics barely know what they are doing

I think it depends on the wheels, but I can vouch for the low amount of magic involved in truing a 'normal' wheel with plenty of spokes and a strong rim.  If your wheels have 8 spokes and a rim made of fairy farts, you probably will need the power of voodoo.

More importantly, if the wheel's already wonky, then you've not got much to lose by trying.  You'll likely be able to get it into a condition good enough to get you to someone with proper mechanic skills.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #9 on: 28 July, 2017, 03:03:07 pm »
If I'd never trued a wheel before, I would rather not be attempting it 2 days before a 1400km in a foreign country.

I would try to find someone with experience - if that failed I would try it myself, but that would be a last resort.

Of course it's easy to tell someone else to man up ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #10 on: 28 July, 2017, 03:22:12 pm »
If your wheels have 8 spokes and a rim made of fairy farts, you probably will need the power of voodoo.

We did have someone last time with full carbon deep section wheels (rims/spokes) who asked if we could fix his rear wheel as a spoke had broken and it was all over the place and rubbing on his close clearance machine.  Vorsprung smiled and said nope.  I got a spare Mavic Askium from my car and offered to loan it; we only had Shimano wheels at the control and he was on Campag.  He looked crest fallen but accepted the offer as he had no other option.  He finished and that was the last I saw of the wheel.  Lesson for riders: get some repairable wheels when riding long events and carbon.  Lesson for volunteers: careful what you offer and always balance the love so you are not left giving more than blood, sweat and tears.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 28 July, 2017, 03:39:01 pm »
If I'd never trued a wheel before, I would rather not be attempting it 2 days before a 1400km in a foreign country.

I would try to find someone with experience - if that failed I would try it myself, but that would be a last resort.

I agree.  But then I'm paranoid and wouldn't attempt a 140km, let alone a 1400km without knowing how to true a wheel.

But if you're stuck at the roadside with a wonky wheel, a spoke key and not surrounded by cycling enthusiasts, it's probably worth having a go.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #12 on: 28 July, 2017, 03:50:27 pm »
I'm pretty sure canuckystan isn't on any sort of low-spoke bling.

Just turn the wheel, find where it rubs the brakes, loosen the spokes at that point and at either side of it by half a turn for the ones that go to that side of the hub, and tighten them half a turn for the ones that go to the other side of the hub.  Spin the wheel again, rinse and repeat.  You'll know which way to turn the spoke nipples by which way makes them feel tighter or looser.  If they're too rusty for you to be able to easily tell this, you should have junked the entire wheel months ago.  The whole thing is really not hard, and is a core part of being a cyclist.

« Reply #13 on: 28 July, 2017, 03:57:06 pm »
The whole thing is really not hard, and is a core part of being a cyclist.

Yebbut - in a forrin country, with pre-ride nerves, and where they drive on 't other side of road; or worse in the dark by the side of the road and suffering from sleep deprivation and working by the light of a head torch, I'd still not be entirely confident of my ability to turn the key the correct way each time.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #14 on: 28 July, 2017, 04:00:26 pm »
No, but the OP hasn't got to that stage yet.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #15 on: 28 July, 2017, 04:47:16 pm »
I believe the OP is already:

in a forrin country, with pre-ride nerves, and where they drive on 't other side of road

It's quite reasonable to ask nicely for pre-ride expert assistance. So well done Phil:
<snip>

If there is an assigned volunteer then ask them if not then come find me.   I don't intend to get my hands dirty with fixing bikes on Sat but I can help you get the wheel sorted.  Hint you'll be doing the sorting, under supervision if necessary.

Offering to fix the problem AND maybe teach him a "core part of being a cyclist"*  :thumbsup:

* (c) YACF member known as "Karla"
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles