Author Topic: [LEL17] Cycling Specific 1st Aid Supplies - suggestions wanted  (Read 7725 times)

Hi all,

In the wind-down from LEL I have started to think about refinements for next time. One of the comments from a first aider at Thirsk was suggesting more cycling specific supplies as part of the 1st aid kit. I thought I'd put it to the hive mind and ask what people think these should be. Any suggestions?

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: Cycling Specific 1st Aid Supplies - suggestions wanted
« Reply #1 on: 06 August, 2017, 04:45:00 pm »
Ice packs  ;D
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #2 on: 06 August, 2017, 04:54:16 pm »
I did buy ice cube bags but it didn't seem to happen for some reason or other. However duly noted :) Do you want some funds to replace the one of yours we used?

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3 on: 06 August, 2017, 05:01:00 pm »
I'll be fine. I'll take it out of the £100 jockey wheel fund :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 06 August, 2017, 05:12:20 pm »
Having been blessed with good fortune on my rides, I have never needed anything personally

The two episodes during the same ride which might have benefited from my medical background required no kit1. I don't think there are many specific items that would be of much use, though ice packs sound good.

1) Head injury after wet rail level crossing involuntary dismount + faint in food queue due to h*lm*t associated overheating.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #5 on: 06 August, 2017, 05:33:52 pm »
Cyclists tend to get a lot of scrapes - skin/tarmac. So large wound dressings, the type with sticky bits round the edge. Bandages work but only where you can wrap it round the leg. arm.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #6 on: 06 August, 2017, 05:47:51 pm »
As I've said elsewhere my ex-NHS risk management head kicked in a few times. I really feel that the organisation should seriously consider finding (as a volunteer or as a paid hireling) a Registered Paramedic to be on phone duty during the event - possibly based at one of the central controls. Relying on 111, retired healthcare professionals, local pharmacies and first-aiders of mixed experience/enthusiasm didnt fill me with confidence.
I don't want to enter into specifics because those involved were doing their best in the circumstances, and I could not have done more. But, a Paramedic who could devote time to answering very specific, cycling related issues from those with limited, but valuable, skill sets would serve the riders well, and protect the organisation.

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #7 on: 06 August, 2017, 06:24:41 pm »
In 2013 we had a briefing from a brilliant doc with experience on several extreme endurance/environment events. Very useful.

EDIT: she advised us on what supplies to have at the controls - some overlap with list posted by Pluck. IIRC more over-the-counter medicines (like Immodium & anti-allergy stuff) that riders won't think to carry. I would guess that similar supplies were purchased for 2017.
@Sio211: are you aware of this list?

I can't remember if she was on call during the ride - I know we didn't need her, fortunately :)

Pretty sure she gave her time for free. I don't know how Danial found her, but these people don't grow on trees. I am not convinced LEL "needs" such assistance in liability terms, but IANAL (or a doctor, or a paramedic).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #8 on: 06 August, 2017, 06:48:51 pm »
Random suggestions - not very cycling specific I suppose.

- vinyl / other disposable gloves
- wipes
- triangular bandages + safety pins
- normal crepe bandage
- mini scissors if no existing kit can cut the above
- gauze
- non-adherent square dressings (i.e. gauze with a shiny side)
- rehydration salts
- some form of glucose gel / tablet?
- maybe normal sticking plasters for minor scratches
- Compeed / similar - those blister patches.
- if bike light cannot be pressed into action, small head torch

Mostly fairly light, compressible, small.

Anything requiring more kit than the above will entail calling for professional assistance anyway.

If it was for myself, I’d add a resus pocket mask. Can be had for about £3.

« Reply #9 on: 06 August, 2017, 07:10:54 pm »
St Ives control was told by an incoming rider that they'd seen a bike at the scene of an accident, and the controller went off to investigate. He arrived to find the Police and Ambulance Service attending. It turned out to be a motorbike incident. A chat with the Police revealed that the LEL rider had stopped to give assistance, him being a Doctor.

There were eight MDs from India alone on the ride. The running of LEL must have increased the medical cover of Northern England, the Scottish Borders and East Anglia by an enormous percentage.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 06 August, 2017, 07:21:00 pm »
Cyclists tend to get a lot of scrapes - skin/tarmac. So large wound dressings, the type with sticky bits round the edge. Bandages work but only where you can wrap it round the leg. arm.

I'd second that.  Dressings large enough for road rash can be surprisingly hard to come by at short notice.  IME a request for large dressings at the average high street chemist tends to result in a lot of "Are you *sure* it's not infected?" followed by rummaging in a dusty drawer to produce a selection of things that are about 2cm too short in at least one dimension.

(My unofficial top tip is to improvise with scissors, micropore and unscented sanitary towels.)

On a related note, and inspired by one of the photos I saw in another thread, materials with which to bodge the correspondingly damaged clothing back to some semblance of decency/functionality is likely to be appreciated by the road rash sufferer / enthusiastic scissor-wielding paramedic victim.

Unrelated, the most used items in my cycling first aid kit are allergy medications.  Cuts and bruises from a minor off compare favourably to the way I react to a typical horsefly bite, and it's not the sort of thing the non-hayfever-sufferers will necessarily prepare for.  Some Anthisan cream and chlorphenamine tablets could make a big difference to a rider who's just lost a fight with a bee or a bed of nettles[1].

[1] Chlorphenamine is contraindicated if the nettle encounter was due to sleep deprivation.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #11 on: 06 August, 2017, 07:52:14 pm »
Dressings can be held in place with that mesh stuff , as seen on TV when a rider has a spill on the TdF. Available on line if you can't get it at your High Street supplier.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #12 on: 07 August, 2017, 08:11:12 am »
In 2013 we had a briefing from a brilliant doc with experience on several extreme endurance/environment events. Very useful.

EDIT: she advised us on what supplies to have at the controls - some overlap with list posted by Pluck. IIRC more over-the-counter medicines (like Immodium & anti-allergy stuff) that riders won't think to carry. I would guess that similar supplies were purchased for 2017.
@Sio211: are you aware of this list?

I can't remember if she was on call during the ride - I know we didn't need her, fortunately :)

Pretty sure she gave her time for free. I don't know how Danial found her, but these people don't grow on trees. I am not convinced LEL "needs" such assistance in liability terms, but IANAL (or a doctor, or a paramedic).

Yes I had access to the notes from last time (she wasn't involved this time) and I had things like over the counter tesco equivalent of immodium, deep heat, pain killers. I bought the St John's large first aid at work kit. I will also ask my first aider that made the comments for their suggestions too. I think it was mostly the lack of gauze, wound dressings that he was identifying. However thought it wouldn't hurt to crowd source for things I may not think of.

:)

« Reply #13 on: 07 August, 2017, 09:17:56 am »
Gloves, wipes, 10x10 adhesive cortisone plasters. I've been cut up pretty badly after about 3km of a 100km mtb ride and an arm warmer+maxipad from a service station did an excellent job and allowed me to continue with a deep gash on my arm. Maxipad trumps sterile dressing for longevity, i would have been swimming in blood without it. 

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #14 on: 07 August, 2017, 11:04:14 am »
Capsules of saline for flushing wounds.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #15 on: 08 August, 2017, 08:28:45 am »
If you need to cover a huge area of road rash, use clingfilm (multiple layers), held down with micropore. It won't stick to the wound, won't let bugs in and will give a measure of protection. Also recommended for burns.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16 on: 08 August, 2017, 01:26:34 pm »
Not much to add, other than eye drops and antiseptic in plastic ampoules.

That resusc mask looks like a good idea.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #17 on: 08 August, 2017, 10:45:55 pm »
I am. OT sure about the resusc mask. Latest guidelines for arrest do not include mouth to mouth. Enough air goes in with chest compressions.

I would agree with cling film.

« Reply #18 on: 09 August, 2017, 06:56:40 am »
I am. OT sure about the resusc mask. Latest guidelines for arrest do not include mouth to mouth. Enough air goes in with chest compressions.

I would agree with cling film.

I thought it was more a matter of: compressions alone are better than nothing?

I've always got at least a basic resusc mask on me. They take up such a minuscule amount of room it seems daft not to.

John

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #19 on: 09 August, 2017, 11:45:03 am »
Every control should be equipped with a Mrs Dr Alfapete :D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #20 on: 09 August, 2017, 03:11:32 pm »
We had a qualified nurse at our control who provided Sudocreme at least once. One vaguely related thing I did notice was that I only saw two cyclists doing stretches in the 32 hours I was at the control. Without using medication that's one way of alleviating the symptoms of sciatica or piriformis syndrome which can present as knee pain or discomfort in the saddle.

« Reply #21 on: 09 August, 2017, 04:21:02 pm »
My understanding from my last resusc course is that chest compression gets enough oxygen in (remembering that exhaled gas is lower). Evrytime chest compression is interrupted cerebral and cardiac flow drops dramatically is my understanding.

« Reply #22 on: 09 August, 2017, 04:56:27 pm »
My understanding from my last resusc course is that chest compression gets enough oxygen in (remembering that exhaled gas is lower). Evrytime chest compression is interrupted cerebral and cardiac flow drops dramatically is my understanding.

Indeed.  Remember Vinnie Jones and 'Staying Alive!'

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Accidents-and-first-aid/Pages/CPR.aspx

No kissing!

However, St John's, BHF and NHS suggest 2 breathes is acceptable if you have the skills.  But if you don't want the kissing, then compressions only is fine.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23 on: 09 August, 2017, 05:56:03 pm »
Presumably it helps if there's a second person to give breaths.  Preferably with a bag...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #24 on: 09 August, 2017, 06:06:02 pm »
A second person is helpful with or without a bag because effective chest compressions are very tiring. Many folk can't compress a chest for more than 3-5 minutes.