Author Topic: Lifetime frame warranties  (Read 1932 times)

Lifetime frame warranties
« on: 26 May, 2017, 01:07:19 pm »
I've now collected on three lifetime frame warranty replacements.

Am I doing something right, or wrong? Am I living too long, or am I a reincarnated cat, a third of the way through their ticket.

What I have found is that the number of times you can actually replace the bike is more limited

The tally so far:

Marin: Seat tube cracked. No quibbles but the replacement (29er) was a pile of crap.

On-one: Handlebar failed and - while they don't strictly have a lifetime warranty I was able after some quibbling to get it replaced, pretty much like for like.

Genesis: Pannier mount weld failed. No quibble, still ongoing and not sure yet of the outcome, but likely to be the current equivalent which is Titanium.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Lifetime frame warranties
« Reply #1 on: 30 May, 2017, 03:38:13 pm »
They bank on the bike not being with the original owner any more or the owner just not bothering to claim because he/she wants something different, has forgotten there was a warranty of just CBA.

Most bikes do a very low mileage before the buyer realises you have to actually pedal/it rains in Britain/they are too unfit and abandons them.

Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2 on: 12 June, 2017, 12:47:34 am »
I'm convinced that every Ti frame seller gives a 'lifetime' warranty because they KNOW it's going to fail . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #3 on: 26 August, 2017, 09:09:14 am »
Well, here we are again.

I was just about to box up the Marin to send to Pastures New

When I discover

Arse. Arse. And again, arse.

This does mean another lifetime frame warranty, but Marin don't do anything like it any more.

« Reply #4 on: 30 August, 2017, 12:52:08 pm »
I collected on the Thorn lifetime warranty 3 times, on a Mk1 Audax.

The gearside rear dropout broke near where it was brazed into the chainstay. I got a new dropout and a respray out of it each time.
The last time, they offered a £150 (iirc) discount on a new frame as an alternative, but I didn't take them up on it.

« Reply #5 on: 30 August, 2017, 03:40:14 pm »
My 1991 Cannondale T600 tourer developed a crack at the seatpost clamping boss, in 2008.
I took it back to where I bought it but they wanted to see the original receipt, which I no longer had or knew where it was.
In any case, they said the best I was likely to get out of Cannondale was a discount on a new frame.
So much for their lifetime warranty, in that case.