Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 864363 times)

ian

Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #2550 on: 26 June, 2018, 04:23:27 pm »
That one of the uses of CO2 is in the slaughter of chickens and pigs. And Waitrose are restricting online purchases of frozen goods as they use dry ice to keep the deliveries cold (as I assume will all the other home delivery operators)

And it's a cruel and gruesome way to kill something. Sheesh.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2551 on: 26 June, 2018, 06:30:55 pm »
That one of the uses of CO2 is in the slaughter of chickens and pigs. And Waitrose are restricting online purchases of frozen goods as they use dry ice to keep the deliveries cold (as I assume will all the other home delivery operators)

I wondered that.  Surely if you want to suffocate something with minimal distress, nitrogen would be better?

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2552 on: 26 June, 2018, 06:38:34 pm »

I wondered that.  Surely if you want to suffocate something with minimal distress, nitrogen would be better?

no different really, asphyxiation is asphyxiation, ask any Tory MP
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2553 on: 26 June, 2018, 06:48:21 pm »
Shirley high concentrations of CO2 lowers the blood pH causing hyperventilation and associated panic, whereas breathing an inert gas just causes you to pass out from hypoxia?

Perhaps the Westminster Gasworks could perform some studies to confirm this...

« Reply #2554 on: 26 June, 2018, 06:56:23 pm »
That was my understanding, at least from the dire safety briefings I was giving about liquid nitrogen handling (no travelling in lifts with it, etc.). But then I guess LN2 is a fair bit more expensive than CO2.

ian

« Reply #2555 on: 26 June, 2018, 07:02:20 pm »
Yes, carbon dioxide is a horrid way to go. Nitrogen isn't expensive, it's easily distilled from air, across a membrane or through adsorption.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2556 on: 26 June, 2018, 07:08:45 pm »
Hmm, unless suddenly switching to pure CO2 has an anaesthetic effect that's so quick you don't get a chance to notice your breathing is disrupted?  That's not the usual rebreathing-a-limited-supply-of-air or CO2-slowly-displacing-air scenario you tend to come across in elfin safe tea contexts.

*googles*

That appears to be the general idea.  Various sources seem to suggest it doesn't work that way in practice, thobut.   :-\

« Reply #2557 on: 26 June, 2018, 07:17:50 pm »
OT but liquid Nitrogen might well be quicker, but it’s potential effects on humans in the vicinity will likely be more extreme in the case of a leak. I visited a pesticide factory, where the containers are topped off with Nitrogen as a preservative. Instructions in case of the alarm going off were to head straight for the exits, and not to stop for anyone who collapsed, leave that for those in breathing gear.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2558 on: 26 June, 2018, 08:23:07 pm »
We're talking high enough concentrations that you aren't going to have time to go all pH-amok here.  High enough concentrations, displace the O2, respiration stops.

https://www.boconline.co.uk/internet.lg.lg.gbr/en/images/10021714410_39607.pdf?v=6.0
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2559 on: 26 June, 2018, 09:16:40 pm »
I'd have thought that given the context, causing suffering is not something that in practice anyone's going to care about. (FWIW my FiL used to knock his pigs on the head with a gurt big hammer then slit their throats before they came round. No idea how this compares with CO2 etc, but probably the major difference is he only killed one pig at a time.)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2560 on: 26 June, 2018, 09:23:21 pm »
From what I read earlier, excessive suffering tends to damage the product (bruising etc) and is therefore avoided.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2561 on: 26 June, 2018, 09:26:06 pm »
It's going to be bruised if you've hit it with a hammer! Whether that affects the quality of the pig brain jelly, I have no idea.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #2562 on: 26 June, 2018, 09:31:39 pm »
Michael Portillo did a documentary about the death penalty some years ago, and after being subjected to a hypoxia test came to the conclusion that a nitrogen-based method would at least be marginally more humane than any of the other more usual ones available.   The USAnian pro-death-penalty chap he spoke to was dead against it, for exactly the same reason. I think the unsubtle subtext was that there needed to be pain and anguish for there to be 'justice.'    ::-)
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2563 on: 27 June, 2018, 07:57:04 am »
If it's the one I'm thinking of, the euphoria of nitrogen narcosis was mentioned; to which the Pro-Death fellow responded that he didn't want them to die in euphoria, he wanted them gasping and struggling in panic. He was probably Pro-Life as well and generally Pro-Misery. Probably Pro-Broccoli too.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #2564 on: 27 June, 2018, 12:41:56 pm »
Tom's Diner by Suzanne Vega was the first song to be encoded into MP3 format. Karlheinz Brandenburg who invented MP3 used it to fine tune and tweak the compression algorithm after hearing that some HiFi magazines used the song to test speakers.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #2565 on: 27 June, 2018, 01:00:38 pm »
I learned this many years ago...
The first band to have their songs on the Internet were Les Horribles Cernettes. Some ladies at CERN who formed a group, and their first songs were about how their boyfriends were too busy skulking around underground to pay them any attention.

Apologies upfront if I'm being sexist.

ian

« Reply #2566 on: 27 June, 2018, 04:57:11 pm »
If it's the one I'm thinking of, the euphoria of nitrogen narcosis was mentioned; to which the Pro-Death fellow responded that he didn't want them to die in euphoria, he wanted them gasping and struggling in panic. He was probably Pro-Life as well and generally Pro-Misery. Probably Pro-Broccoli too.

I like broccoli, hate murder. Anyway, nitrogen narcosis is something different to merely suffocating. While carbon dioxide asphyxiation might be fine if done correctly, in practice it doesn't seem it is, and it's easy to get wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2567 on: 27 June, 2018, 05:11:06 pm »
Narcosis comes from overpressure, doesn't it? Can't remember. Anyway, the method involved dropping the partial pressure of oxygen in the chamber, leaving only the nitrogen and whatever the victim breathed out. It's used in some slaughterhouses and causes no distress.

« Reply #2568 on: 27 June, 2018, 06:19:27 pm »
(1) That the Google Nexus 5X boot loop of death can strike even a 2.5 year old phone (Mrs Ham's. And it had to happen when I scrolled a page on it....)
(2) That google support will tell you "Sorry your phone is out of warranty, go talk to the manufacturer"
(3) That when you tell them "Sorry, you're wrong, UK consumer rights extend past one year to at least five. Google it" they roll over without argument and provide a replacement phone.

« Reply #2569 on: 27 June, 2018, 06:41:48 pm »
I also just learned that forgetting you put beer in the freezer is not a good idea

It was Estrella. Damn.

« Reply #2570 on: 28 June, 2018, 12:15:22 pm »
(1) That the Google Nexus 5X boot loop of death can strike even a 2.5 year old phone (Mrs Ham's. And it had to happen when I scrolled a page on it....)
(2) That google support will tell you "Sorry your phone is out of warranty, go talk to the manufacturer"
(3) That when you tell them "Sorry, you're wrong, UK consumer rights extend past one year to at least five. Google it" they roll over without argument and provide a replacement phone.

To which I now have to add another learned item:

(4) That google can get a replacement into your hands in just over 12 hours from reporting it. Impressed.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2571 on: 28 June, 2018, 03:21:10 pm »
  • Not to lend out your chainsaw
  • That British Sea Power once did a split single with The Wurzels
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #2572 on: 29 June, 2018, 01:12:42 am »
That having my skull drilled and stitched under local anaesthetic is "Interesting".
That, when things go wrong 3 hours later, going back to surgery and having more of the same is less than fun.
That, the following day when it all comes apart, going back to the hospital, being told by the surgeon that it needs re-fettling but there's no anaesthetist available until about 7 hours later and telling her to Just Do It without Anaesthetic is a little bit silly.
I did not scream out loud as she was cutting my scalp, doing a little bit more skull drilling and then stitching it all up, through Sheer Determination. At 00:40hrs this morning the dressing came off and I have had to "Improvise" to stop the plug and stud falling out again.
I am concerned that another trip to the, thankfully only 2 miles away, hospital may be on the agenda over the weekend.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2573 on: 29 June, 2018, 08:08:35 am »
I think I need another cuppa after reading that. :thumbsup: for pure grit.

Plug & stud sounds a bit, you known, cyborgian.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2574 on: 29 June, 2018, 08:13:12 am »
Sounds like another trip to hospital might be well called for!