Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 864362 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #2625 on: 10 August, 2018, 07:56:28 am »
Currently centred over Westminster, I believe.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2626 on: 12 August, 2018, 11:51:22 pm »
That Faraday accepted various medals and awards but turned down a knighthood, saying it was in contradiction of Biblical teachings not to pursue riches and worldly rewards. He also twice refused to become president of the Royal Society.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2627 on: 13 August, 2018, 08:30:34 am »
Francis Crick once sent Winston Churchill a cheque for ten guineas, to be put towards the establishment of a brothel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churchill_College,_Cambridge#Chapel

« Reply #2628 on: 13 August, 2018, 01:00:09 pm »
LeBron James (for the benefit of Wowbagger, he is 'Often considered the best basketball player in the world and regarded by some as the greatest player of all time' - Wikipedia) is a keen cyclist. All of the students at the school for 'at-risk' children that he opened recently get a free bike. And since 2005 he has organized an annual bike ride to raise money for his children/education-based charity.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2629 on: 14 August, 2018, 03:57:43 pm »
It is not necessary to roll up one's left trouser-leg and expose one's left breast in order to buy a masonry drill.

Thank you Google, that could have been embarrassing.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2630 on: 25 August, 2018, 05:16:30 pm »
If you are size XS or XXS, you can buy a full cycling wardrobe of the highest quality for next to nothing.

Needless to say, I am very average-sized and therefore everything costs full price.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #2631 on: 26 August, 2018, 12:37:41 am »
That the "Posh" bike shop, Pinarello is their main, or only, stock. Is a Super-Twat with too much money targeted affair. The staff are Rude, Ignorant and I will be Grinking their directors next week, letting them know that I will openly refer to their staff as Shit headed Twunts, should the place be mentioned. A, non-weight weeny, disabled customer was standing at the counter being ignored by all three of the staff, less than 6 feet away, for over five minutes before they deigned to ask, in irritated tones, "Do you need something?". I leaned in and told them that "She probably wants to ask if you know of a decent bike shop in the area?" I pointed her to the Evans store, a few hundred yards away.
I did not buy anything from them.

Edited to Advertise Warn people. https://www.thebikerooms.com/
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #2632 on: 26 August, 2018, 01:45:07 am »
Manchester?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2633 on: 26 August, 2018, 02:48:34 am »
That Lerwick is on approximately the same latitude as Helsinki.  As is Teslin YT, which is where I was when I learned this.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #2634 on: 26 August, 2018, 08:19:07 am »
That the coldest part of our new refrigerator is at the top. It says so in the instructions, that I uncharacteristically read (I was trying to see how long the manufacturer said to leave the appliance stood before turning on).

That refrigerators have to be 'left to stand' before switching them on.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2635 on: 26 August, 2018, 09:12:17 am »
That Lerwick is on approximately the same latitude as Helsinki.  As is Teslin YT, which is where I was when I learned this.

One of the coldest weeks Ive ever had was offshore in the Northern North Sea, midway between Shetland and Bergen, with a wind from the north in mid December.  That's when you realise how far from London you can be and still be in the UK (just about)
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2636 on: 26 August, 2018, 11:23:48 am »
That the "Posh" bike shop, Pinarello is their main, or only, stock. Is a Super-Twat with too much money targeted affair. The staff are Rude, Ignorant and I will be Grinking their directors next week, letting them know that I will openly refer to their staff as Shit headed Twunts, should the place be mentioned. A, non-weight weeny, disabled customer was standing at the counter being ignored by all three of the staff, less than 6 feet away, for over five minutes before they deigned to ask, in irritated tones, "Do you need something?". I leaned in and told them that "She probably wants to ask if you know of a decent bike shop in the area?" I pointed her to the Evans store, a few hundred yards away.
I did not buy anything from them.

Edited to Advertise Warn people. https://www.thebikerooms.com/
They're useless, just a Pinarello boutique.  They wouldn't know how to repair anything.  When the Swindon one was called Total Bike, I was told, "we don't sell spares".  They used to have a series of mediocre mechanics, one of whom built the worst set of wheels it has ever been my misfortune to ride.  They pinged like a zither the first time I tried them, then went right out of true.  Full of twist.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #2637 on: 26 August, 2018, 03:05:52 pm »
Frustrated cats can attack you in your sleep. Said attack can lead to a bloody 20 minute drive to A&E for stitches. In the mean time said frustrated kitty may well make a dirty protest, make purring noises on your return, entice you to stroke you and then bite you again.  Oh and don't assume that frustrated cats can be plicated with Ed Sheeran, just because they are both ginger!! Ed Sheeran may lead to kitty hissing.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2638 on: 26 August, 2018, 04:05:31 pm »
They crap on the sly and you slide on the crap.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #2639 on: 26 August, 2018, 04:41:08 pm »
I spotted it first, but he's since tried to trip me up on the stairs.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #2640 on: 26 August, 2018, 11:08:31 pm »
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #2641 on: 27 August, 2018, 05:46:48 am »
And me who thought that my cat was a manipulative bastard, actually he is a saint.
Frustrated cats can attack you in your sleep. Said attack can lead to a bloody 20 minute drive to A&E for stitches. In the mean time said frustrated kitty may well make a dirty protest, make purring noises on your return, entice you to stroke you and then bite you again.  Oh and don't assume that frustrated cats can be plicated with Ed Sheeran, just because they are both ginger!! Ed Sheeran may lead to kitty hissing.

Envoyé de mon E2033 en utilisant Tapatalk

Chief cat entertainer.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2642 on: 04 September, 2018, 04:20:16 am »
In the past couple of days, actually, but Slow Internets have cramped my yacf habit somewhat.
  • Kettles designed specifically for feeble Leftpondian anbarism actually boil water quickly
  • Canadian fag packets open sideways, or at least Players ones do.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2643 on: 04 September, 2018, 11:50:11 am »
That the noise of builders drilling upstairs can activate Google voice recognition on your phone.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2644 on: 04 September, 2018, 04:25:18 pm »
Not today but on Saturday  I learnt that Felpham, sometime destination of the FNRTTC, is pronounced Felfam, rather than Felpam.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2645 on: 04 September, 2018, 05:56:35 pm »
Not today but on Saturday  I learnt that Felpham, sometime destination of the FNRTTC, is pronounced Felfam, rather than Felpam.

Gosh.

« Reply #2646 on: 04 September, 2018, 06:43:00 pm »
That cleaned out F and E tanks don't stay clean for very long.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2647 on: 04 September, 2018, 07:53:54 pm »

Gosh.

Either way it sounds like a particulary Tory kind of sexual deviancy
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #2648 on: 04 September, 2018, 08:41:11 pm »

Hmm.  Well we lived in Selsey for 20 years and always knew it as “Felpam”
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #2649 on: 04 September, 2018, 08:46:02 pm »
I was once told that all (or many) of the place names with -ham at the end were originally pronounced as if they were two separate words. So Felp-ham, Cos-ham and so on. When telephones arrived, the operators, 'nicely spoken young ladies' had no idea about the local pronunciation and just read them as written 'Felf-am' 'Cosh-am'. The feeling then grew that 'posh people' who spoke properly did the latter whereas the original pronunciation marked you out as being lower class and less well educated.

"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."