Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 864506 times)

Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #4775 on: 24 October, 2020, 02:06:07 pm »
I've had a letter from 23andme telling me that unlike 83% of their customers I have Neanderthal DNA.
Not sure how I feel about that.
Huh ?  :-)
Rust never sleeps

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4776 on: 24 October, 2020, 02:47:09 pm »
That the glass in my oven door isn't tinted. It was just dirty. Student dirty. Mr Muscle could only do so much. I had to take a stanley knife blade to it.

I bet you feel brilliant now though :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #4777 on: 24 October, 2020, 04:10:26 pm »
I've had a letter from 23andme telling me that unlike 83% of their customers I have Neanderthal DNA.
Exactly.
Should I be able to ride a bike?
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #4778 on: 24 October, 2020, 04:24:40 pm »
That the glass in my oven door isn't tinted. It was just dirty. Student dirty. Mr Muscle could only do so much. I had to take a stanley knife blade to it.

I bet you feel brilliant now though :)

Smug, in fact.
 ;D
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #4779 on: 24 October, 2020, 05:30:51 pm »
Thanks to today's Grauniad prize crossword I've learnt what a snollygoster is.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4780 on: 24 October, 2020, 06:16:56 pm »
Thanks to today's Grauniad prize crossword I've learnt what a snollygoster is.

It's a word specifically forbidden to TV's *** Boulting.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #4781 on: 24 October, 2020, 06:44:17 pm »
Exactly.
Should I be able to ride a bike?
Yes but hunched 😉
the slower you go the more you see

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4782 on: 26 October, 2020, 10:38:07 am »
That women served in the front line on both sides of the 1918-20 Polish-Bolshevik War but, on the Polish side at least, the only items of military uniform made available were boots in smaller sizes. They made do with a mixture of men's jackets etc and civilian clothing. Some fought in skirts.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #4783 on: 28 October, 2020, 08:06:18 pm »
That Julia Hartley-Brewer isn't a comedian doing a parody act (honestly, she'd almost indistinguishable from the marvellously funny Rosie Holt).

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4784 on: 28 October, 2020, 11:52:56 pm »
Writes for the Daily Fail.  'nuff said.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #4785 on: 29 October, 2020, 12:42:20 am »
Someone who's spent twice the amount of their life as me working in healthcare IT had never learnt that medics should never be given the need to click more than once or ever touch a scroll bar lest they have a hissy fit.
Said colleague expressed surprise at a function of the system we're writing requiring 3 mouse clicks should be recorded as a "show stopper" UAT issue...

A lesson that should apply well beyond healthcare.

If I had my way, application developers would have their mice confiscated for one day a week on general principle.

I suppose medics etc. could even enjoy tabbing between buttons & memorizing CTRL codes.  We could make the machines play early 80s rock at the same time.
Forgot I'd posted in here and dingied it.
It's really about writing a decent flowing ui structure.

All they really need is for the form to be componentised ideally saving and moving them onto the next input component with reasonable fanfare followed by a save and a sign off option.

But I suspect that would go down as well as my suggestion that a file with 3000 lines of coldfusion markup isn't clever* and  was the cause of subversion merge hell.

It briefly went down to 2700 lines when I did a bit of refactoring to extract functions to other files for stuff I was changing, but then someone went and wrote new functions to do those things putting the file up to 3250 loc**.

* that's the polite version
** today I found 9 different alert box definitions in one file that all show the same message...

I think I'm just going to have to Boss the merge request approve button when I get us onto git.

This is the rant about colleagues thread yeah?

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #4786 on: 30 October, 2020, 03:13:43 pm »
That women served in the front line on both sides of the 1918-20 Polish-Bolshevik War but, on the Polish side at least, the only items of military uniform made available were boots in smaller sizes. They made do with a mixture of men's jackets etc and civilian clothing. Some fought in skirts.
Just learnt about the 'Night Witches', an all female bomber regiment in the Soviet Air Force, during WW2. Apparently similar issue with jackets and boots that didn't fit. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Witches

« Reply #4787 on: 30 October, 2020, 03:59:33 pm »
My MP's name is David Duguid, one of the 6  in Scotland.
Speaking to a farmer today I learned his surname is pronounced "jewkit" which fits well into local speak. 

I've lived here for > 40 years and would claim to understand the local tongue fairly well.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4788 on: 30 October, 2020, 06:44:04 pm »
Just learnt about the 'Night Witches', an all female bomber regiment in the Soviet Air Force, during WW2. Apparently similar issue with jackets and boots that didn't fit. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Witches
Mechanics Raisa Kharitonova and Tamara Frolova were sentenced to ten years of imprisonment for dismantling a flare (used by navigators to illuminate bombing targets) and using the small silk parachute to sew undergarments.
!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4789 on: 02 November, 2020, 03:09:34 pm »
"Some of the same genes that cause prostate cancer are shared with breast cancer. If you have a mother or sister with breast cancer, it does increase your risk of prostate cancer. So you can actually inherit a gene from your mother that increases your risk of a male cancer."

ian

« Reply #4790 on: 02 November, 2020, 03:29:48 pm »
"Some of the same genes that cause prostate cancer are shared with breast cancer. If you have a mother or sister with breast cancer, it does increase your risk of prostate cancer. So you can actually inherit a gene from your mother that increases your risk of a male cancer."

To be fair, you inherit half your genes for everything from your mother.

These two genes are BRCA1 and BRCA2 (they produce two unrelated proteins involved in chromosomal and DNA repair). When faulty they cause a high risk of developing certain cancers in certain tissues, yet it's not absolute, and the mystery is why generally there's only a risk of specific cancer. Why not a general effect? If have a BRCA fault, it doesn't increase your risk for bowel or blood or lung cancer.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4791 on: 02 November, 2020, 04:09:26 pm »
I read somewhere recently that most* men these days die with prostate cancer - one of the side effects of an ageing population, and the risk of prostate cancer being high enough that it will get all of us eventually. But obviously that's not the same as dying from prostate cancer.

*might not actually have been <most>, but it was <significant number>
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #4792 on: 02 November, 2020, 04:21:32 pm »
Yes, we're mostly riddled with cancers, fortunately, the majority of them sit around and do much other than slowly reproduce themselves (generally, a cancer cell is one that's not doing a good job of following the rules). By the age of 80, over 80% of men will have cancerous cells in their prostate. Generally, if you look for cancerous cells, you will find them. This is of significant clinical relevance, especially in the context of screening, because it may lead to medical interventions – serious medical interventions like surgery – that are not actually necessary. Or drug treatments that kill these slow and dull cancerous cells and leave behind the aggressive and metatastic cells. These then have free rein.

« Reply #4793 on: 02 November, 2020, 04:58:03 pm »
That the UK police have their own air force.
Move Faster and Bake Things

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #4794 on: 02 November, 2020, 05:25:10 pm »
That the phrase "in the offing" has a nautical origin. The offing is the part of the sea that can be seen from the land but excluding the nearmost part. So if a ship was in the offing then it would be arriving soonish but not immediately.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #4795 on: 02 November, 2020, 05:46:39 pm »
Rust never sleeps

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4796 on: 02 November, 2020, 06:20:39 pm »
That the Nazis banned the novels of Sax Rohmer* because they assumed he was Jewish.

* born Arthur Ward, in Birmingham, to Irish parents

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #4797 on: 02 November, 2020, 11:04:43 pm »
* born Arthur Ward, in Birmingham, to Irish parents
Him, me and Dan Martin.
Select.
 :thumbsup:
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #4798 on: 03 November, 2020, 09:39:23 pm »
Speaking to a farmer today I learned his surname is pronounced "jewkit" which fits well into local speak. 

I've lived here for > 40 years and would claim to understand the local tongue fairly well.

I could've told you that  :) I wonder if he remembers the ghastly school song  :hand:

« Reply #4799 on: 03 November, 2020, 10:01:32 pm »

I could've told you that  :) I wonder if he remembers the ghastly school song  :hand:

I had heard the local name I just hadn't connected the two alternative pronunciations with the same person. I've been chuckling about my mistake all weekend.
I dread to think of which school but probably not Phd Academy