Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 864075 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #5825 on: 22 January, 2022, 01:07:03 am »
Usually spelled selkies here

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selkie

And that’s the way Professor Larrington spells it too. In a book.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #5826 on: 22 January, 2022, 07:59:34 am »
And that’s the way Professor Larrington spells it too. In a book.
Shifty things vowels. They've got history that way.   No. 45 from, "Ye Bumpere Liste of Glo∫∫ological Jests & Japes"

An odd thing from when I was a middling young Lurker; having moved from civilisation to the howling badlands of the South (Norhants) I was required by a beak to spell the word "manure" (no I have no idea why either - strange people teachers), so I did.  Whereat I was told that the second letter was an "a" not an "e" because the cloth eared idiot teacher couldn't do accents that weren't English midlands and misheard the very clearly ennuciated "a" as an "e".  Pillock.

Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

ian

« Reply #5827 on: 22 January, 2022, 11:49:33 am »
In the part of the Midlands I grew up in they didn't do the vowel shift, so fight is still pronounced fate etc. Water is w-hat-er like someone fat sat on the a and squashed it flat and wide. The outside world, which debuted in the late 80s, is now eroding the delightful linguistics and turning it into a more standard Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire mix.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #5828 on: 23 January, 2022, 02:25:11 pm »
In the part of the Midlands I grew up in they didn't do the vowel shift, so fight is still pronounced fate etc. Water is w-hat-er like someone fat sat on the a and squashed it flat and wide. The outside world, which debuted in the late 80s, is now eroding the delightful linguistics and turning it into a more standard Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire mix.
Thank you for that jog of my memory.  My late dad was from Langley Mill on the Notts/Derbys border.  All of his uncles and aunts were of the short-tunged variety.  I had to listen carefully to work out what was being said.  Happy days.....

« Reply #5829 on: 23 January, 2022, 02:55:19 pm »
It is thought the english word smithereens comes from the Irish smidiríní i.e. little bits.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #5830 on: 23 January, 2022, 04:51:40 pm »
It is thought the english word smithereens comes from the Irish smidiríní i.e. little bits.

New to me, too - thanks.  I have a friend called Smithers; I think of his kids as smithereens.

« Reply #5831 on: 23 January, 2022, 04:57:27 pm »
Courtesy of ian, the word “canorous”.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #5832 on: 27 January, 2022, 01:06:48 pm »
That on a yiddish virtual keyboard, the backspace key points to the left, even though the character to the right is deleted, yiddish being written right to left.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5833 on: 27 January, 2022, 01:18:14 pm »
That on a yiddish virtual keyboard, the backspace key points to the left, even though the character to the right is deleted, yiddish being written right to left.

I'm betting the return key does too.  Unless it just says <Return>.  I suppose we're far enough abstracted from the physical carriage return levers of typewriters that it doesn't matter any more.

(I remember my mum learning to use a word processor and subconsciously raising her hand to slap the monitor in a manner reminiscent of the funky chicken movement I perform with my left arm when exiting a roundabout in a hybrid[1] car.)

[1] But not electric.  It seems my gear-change instinct is linked to engine noise, rather than road speed.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #5834 on: 27 January, 2022, 01:27:03 pm »

I'm betting the return key does too. 

[checks] Yes.

I only spotted the backspace thing when unsuccessfully trying the yiddish version of wordl (vertle or ןןץרטל).
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5835 on: 28 January, 2022, 04:19:25 pm »
Norwich Pharmacal Order
I initially thought it was a typo...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5836 on: 28 January, 2022, 04:36:09 pm »
Norwich Pharmacal Order
I initially thought it was a typo...

Apparently it's an archaic word for pharmaceutical.  The company seems to have changed its name several times over the latter half of the 20th century, through the usual mergers and acquisitions.  The Norwich in question is USAnian.

Obviously Reverend Lafayette Moore and Oscar G. Bell were shortsighted in not using a catchy Pratchett reference in case their company formed the basis of an important legal case a century later.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5837 on: 28 January, 2022, 05:05:08 pm »
Given their liking for archaic language, it would be a snappy bit of Chaucer.

ian

« Reply #5838 on: 28 January, 2022, 05:07:11 pm »
I never knew there was a Norwich in NY. There's one in Connecticut. They pronounce it Nor-witch and not Norrich, unless they're old people who pronounce it as the Angles intend. If you ever watch old interview footage with Americans, it's amazing how British they often sound.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5839 on: 31 January, 2022, 06:51:35 am »

I'm betting the return key does too.  Unless it just says <Return>.  I suppose we're far enough abstracted from the physical carriage return levers of typewriters that it doesn't matter any more.

(I remember my mum learning to use a word processor and subconsciously raising her hand to slap the monitor in a manner reminiscent of the funky chicken movement I perform with my left arm when exiting a roundabout in a hybrid[1] car.)

[1] But not electric.  It seems my gear-change instinct is linked to engine noise, rather than road speed.

Imagine having spent most of your driving life with a mangle, switching to automagic for 6 years, then back to mangle again.  Took a while before I stopped pulling up to roundabouts with a last minute juddering change down to second.  And the there's roundabouts in France, where I have attempted to change gear with the arm rest :facepalm:
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

« Reply #5840 on: 31 January, 2022, 10:15:00 am »
All this keyboardery reminds of the time I was there, in front of an eager audience of around 1,000 Japanese folks at the University of Tokyo and the presentation laptop decided that, yes, now is the time to request a password. Inputting these vital details wasn't helped by the keyboard having gone kanji-fied. Before I knew it, there were about 100 people on stage trying to save me from a terrible conjunction of IT and language. Eventually a small chap emerges through the crowd and gives it a good poke and, forgive my Japanese – voilà, the desktop. He bows a little and exits stage left. I'd supposed the guy who fixed things to be a very well-dressed IT guy, it turned out later he was actually the Minister for Something Grandiose. Imagine, on the other hand, what would happen, if Liz Truss tried to do IT support.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #5841 on: 31 January, 2022, 12:15:58 pm »
But not electric.  It seems my gear-change instinct is linked to engine noise, rather than road speed

This.  I have driven petril-engined motor-cars with CVT a few times and never felt the slightest urge to reach for the skies stick.  The first of them was an horble Ovlov 340, though, so I did feel the urge to reach for the 14 lb lump hammer, the matches and the Lighthouse Family.

« Reply #5842 on: 31 January, 2022, 12:40:17 pm »
But not electric.  It seems my gear-change instinct is linked to engine noise, rather than road speed

This.  I have driven petril-engined motor-cars with CVT a few times and never felt the slightest urge to reach for the skies stick.  The first of them was an horble Ovlov 340, Daf 66 with Extra! Heavy! Bodywork! and ElasticBandTM Drive! though, so I did feel the urge to reach for the 14 lb lump hammer, the matches and the Lighthouse Family.

Just a little FTFY. and to demonstrate unfortunate familiarity with both, the Renault engines used in these monstrosities had wet liners (where the cylinder bore is separate from the block) which had a common fault that after a while the lower seal wore, the liner would drop[ by a couple of thou resulting in cylinder head gasket blowing with unfortunate rapidity. I can also confirm that with practice, said gasket can be replaced in under two hours. It would have probably been easier to change girlfriend.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #5843 on: 31 January, 2022, 03:30:19 pm »
Fortunately that example belonged to Professor Larrington's then-boyf's mother, so I only had to drive it twice.  Albeit that the first time was with that lady's Doberdog* in the back, who set up the most fearful row every time the horromobile exceeded 50 mph.  All the way from Greenwich to Woking >:(

The second time just had Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.) in the passenger seat and was thus calmer.

* my parents were looking after it while she swanned off to visit her son, who was working in Abroad

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5844 on: 31 January, 2022, 03:35:39 pm »

This.  I have driven petril-engined motor-cars with CVT a few times and never felt the slightest urge to reach for the skies stick.

The corollary to this is that my clutching instincts are also tied to engine noise, which means I'm fine in a manual until it tricks me with automagic stop-start.  I'll then sit there at a green traffic light pressing the accelerator like a div wondering why the car isn't gliding forward with anbaric grace like I told it to.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #5845 on: 31 January, 2022, 06:14:38 pm »
My clutching instincts are tuned to diseasels and their low-end torque.  So when called upon to drive a ghastly Korean thing with a petril engine out of an underpowered lawnmower while on holibobs (remember them?) I kept stalling the bloody thing >:(

Ob-cycling: long ago my knees learned that upright = fixed, which led to all sorts of prombles on the rare occasions I rode the Perfectly Good Gentleman’s Mountain Bicycle.  Fortunately they've now forgotten.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5846 on: 31 January, 2022, 07:25:43 pm »
Ob-the  Perfectly Good Gentleman’s Mountain Bicycle: is it a perfectly good mountain bicycle for a gentleman, or a mountain bicycle for a perfectly good gentleman?

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #5847 on: 31 January, 2022, 07:27:34 pm »
Ob-the  Perfectly Good Gentleman’s Mountain Bicycle: is it a perfectly good mountain bicycle for a gentleman, or a mountain bicycle for a perfectly good gentleman?

Yes :D

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5848 on: 31 January, 2022, 07:28:24 pm »
That is perfectly good.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #5849 on: 31 January, 2022, 08:46:39 pm »
Today I are learning that TV On The Radio aka Thomas The Vance was born Richard Anthony Crispian Francis Prew Hope-Weston, which seems a tad excessive.