Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 864094 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #6575 on: 07 January, 2023, 03:14:50 pm »
That the clock icon for the er clock/stopwatch/timer app on my phone actually tells the time. Just thought it was a picture of a clock

That's the sort of attention to detail that I find unreasonably pleasing.

Be better if it chimed the hour though  ;D

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6577 on: 11 January, 2023, 07:49:36 pm »
That white goods equipped with little-tune-playing beepers can use it to beep diagnostic data down the phone to customer support.

That's pretty clever.  Wish I'd thought of it.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6578 on: 11 January, 2023, 08:00:00 pm »
That white goods equipped with little-tune-playing beepers can use it to beep diagnostic data down the phone to customer support.

Is it your fridge, freezer or washing machine that's broken down?  ;)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #6579 on: 11 January, 2023, 08:09:38 pm »

No way.
That's a step too far.
I've said it before.
Do not allow machines to talk to one another.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6580 on: 11 January, 2023, 08:39:18 pm »
(Sings)
When I press a special key
It plays a little melody!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6581 on: 11 January, 2023, 09:04:53 pm »

Is it your fridge, freezer or washing machine that's broken down?  ;)

Someone else's washing machine, in this instance.

The fridge is purely mechanical and continues to chug along adequately, though I have electronic BRANES to retrofit as a work in progress.

Our boiler's broken, but fortunately not in a way that causes it to know that it's broken...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6582 on: 11 January, 2023, 09:06:04 pm »
No way.
That's a step too far.
I've said it before.
Do not allow machines to talk to one another.

I'm all for a bit of judicious air-gapping, but if you take that line of thinking too far you end up printing everything out on octagonal paper.

« Reply #6583 on: 11 January, 2023, 09:13:25 pm »
(Sings)

You are Ralf Hütter AICMFP.  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #6584 on: 11 January, 2023, 09:14:01 pm »
Air-gapping's been breached if we allow the machines to squawk at each other.
They will develop their own language soon.

A reversal of VoIP: IPoV; V90 re-invented!

« Reply #6585 on: 11 January, 2023, 09:26:09 pm »
Couple of things. That 'pills' containing micro cameras that take a picture every 2 seconds can now be swallowed to investigate gastric conditions. And ..
The reason we clash drinking vessels of good cheer dates back to the middle ages, when the  tankard was expected to spill over into the others demonstrating that the drink was not poisoned.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #6586 on: 12 January, 2023, 01:39:03 am »
(Sings)

You are Ralf Hütter AICMFP.  :demon:

I had to record the Japanese version onto cassette for Professor “No Turntable” Larrington when she came back from Nippon with the 7” single in her luggage  :D

« Reply #6587 on: 12 January, 2023, 12:54:02 pm »
The word "debouched" - "emerge from a confined space into a wide, open area"
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #6588 on: 12 January, 2023, 01:16:18 pm »
Regarding machines beeping to call back to base, McLaren F1s came equipped with modems.
I have no idea if a bank of modems is still maintained in the depths of MTC so the poor things can talk to the mothership.

I did hear tales of the heritage racing department having to source outdated laptops on eBay in order to start certain cars though.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6589 on: 12 January, 2023, 01:38:38 pm »
The good news is that we're in charge. The bad news is that we are the machines, we're just programmed to think we're human.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #6590 on: 12 January, 2023, 06:22:08 pm »
Regarding machines beeping to call back to base, McLaren F1s came equipped with modems.
I have no idea if a bank of modems is still maintained in the depths of MTC so the poor things can talk to the mothership.

I did hear tales of the heritage racing department having to source outdated laptops on eBay in order to start certain cars though.

$RICH_COLLECTOR found himself unable to start a Ferrari F1/86 wot he had acquired.  Exasperated, he asked former Ferrari driver Stefan Johansson if he'd ever had trouble starting it.  “Oh no,” said the affable Swede, “I just did this [raises right hand with index finger pointing upwards; moves hand in vaguely circular motion] and it started every time!”

« Reply #6591 on: 13 January, 2023, 07:31:29 am »
Our washing machine has got a unscrewable thingy that let's you check if the pump is full of sock.
It's behind a hard to remove panel at floor height.
Instructions : "A small amount of water may be released" - I've washed the kitchen floor again.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #6592 on: 13 January, 2023, 07:49:53 am »
$RICH_COLLECTOR found himself unable to start a Ferrari F1/86 wot he had acquired.  Exasperated, he asked former Ferrari driver Stefan Johansson if he'd ever had trouble starting it.  “Oh no,” said the affable Swede, “I just did this [raises right hand with index finger pointing upwards; moves hand in vaguely circular motion] and it started every time!”

For anyone interested, F1 cars do not have their own starters. A muckle big battery is brought up on  trolley which has what looks like an oversized hand blender which is shoved up the car's jacksy.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #6593 on: 13 January, 2023, 09:21:24 am »
Our washing machine has got a unscrewable thingy that let's you check if the pump is full of sock.
It's behind a hard to remove panel at floor height.
Instructions : "A small amount of water may be released" - I've washed the kitchen floor again.
Oh yes. This is one of the reasons I keep old towels. And a large rusty baking tray.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #6594 on: 13 January, 2023, 11:20:18 am »
For searching in YACF

Quote from: Nuncio
'Print' (up there, top right) and ctrl-F works fine fine for me, if what I'm interested in is in a single thread.

:thumbsup:

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #6595 on: 13 January, 2023, 11:47:54 am »

For anyone interested, F1 cars do not have their own starters. A muckle big battery is brought up on  trolley which has what looks like an oversized hand blender which is shoved up the car's jacksy.

Teh Roolz used to require starters, at least back in the Cosworth Era; McLaren's Alistair “Bloke” Caldwell developed a compressed air driven one for the M23 which apparently saved a fair bit of weight over the anbaric alternative.  I imagine the increasingly complex electronics put a halt to this.

Dan Gurney did once win a major sports car race by coaxing his crippled car over the finish line on the starter, which has absolutely 0 to do with anything but is apparently the only time an electric car has won an FIA-sanctioned event until the advent of electric-only racing series :P

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6596 on: 13 January, 2023, 03:17:01 pm »
Moo is Thai for pork.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6597 on: 13 January, 2023, 03:55:45 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-64252259

The word we always used to describe girls who managed to infiltrate Cowboys and Indians Native Americans games is as bad as The N-Word.  I never knew.  "Brave" for male Indian warriors doesn't seem to cause the same offence but is considered archaic and European.

Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #6598 on: 13 January, 2023, 04:13:11 pm »
As far as I can see that article doesn't actually tell you the word so I am none the wiser.

EDIT - found it by googling Loybas Hill, one of the new names. Like Roger I had no idea it was so derogatory!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6599 on: 13 January, 2023, 04:28:29 pm »
As far as I can see that article doesn't actually tell you the word so I am none the wiser.

EDIT - found it by googling Loybas Hill, one of the new names. Like Roger I had no idea it was so derogatory!
I had to do exactly the same googling  ;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.