Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 864031 times)

Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #6625 on: 25 January, 2023, 01:37:46 pm »
For a while the british army had a Major Major. I had to write to him a couple of times when he was secretary of the army rowing club.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #6626 on: 25 January, 2023, 08:09:53 pm »
...and then in Catch-22, we have the character called Major who is promoted to the rank of major. To add to the fun his first names are also Major Major.
Appointments to see him in his office can only be made for times when he is not in his office...

IIRC it was rank = Major, surname = Major, and as the older he was “Major”. That distinguished him from Major Major Minor who was younger. I can’t remember if they were father and son.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #6627 on: 26 January, 2023, 12:43:38 am »
...and then in Catch-22, we have the character called Major who is promoted to the rank of major. To add to the fun his first names are also Major Major.
Appointments to see him in his office can only be made for times when he is not in his office...

IIRC it was rank = Major, surname = Major, and as the older he was “Major”. That distinguished him from Major Major Minor who was younger. I can’t remember if they were father and son.

Having just found the relevant passage in my copy of Catch-22: He was born with the family name Major, and was named Major Major Major by his father, who had a rather unusual sense of humour. Four days after enlisting in the US Army he was promoted from Private to Major, "by an IBM machine with a sense of humor almost as keen as his father's".

« Reply #6628 on: 26 January, 2023, 07:40:56 am »
I stand corrected  ;)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #6629 on: 26 January, 2023, 03:02:02 pm »
Bram Stoker was Irish.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #6630 on: 26 January, 2023, 03:19:36 pm »

Having just found the relevant passage in my copy of Catch-22: He was born with the family name Major, and was named Major Major Major by his father, who had a rather unusual sense of humour. Four days after enlisting in the US Army he was promoted from Private to Major, "by an IBM machine with a sense of humor almost as keen as his father's".
And was then forever held at that rank. And his basketball team members sort of started ignoring him. (I last read Catch 22 about 40 years ago.)
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #6631 on: 26 January, 2023, 05:21:04 pm »

And was then forever held at that rank. And his basketball team members sort of started ignoring him. (I last read Catch 22 about 40 years ago.)

Same here. I have a vague recollection that he was pissed off by the prospect of holding the rank in perpertuity, with no chance of promotion or demotion.

« Reply #6632 on: 26 January, 2023, 11:02:22 pm »

Catch 22 and IBM? Is that timeline right? Only ever seen the film, and sadly only remember the plane and the (half) bloke on the jetty  :sick:

« Reply #6633 on: 27 January, 2023, 01:13:41 am »

Catch 22 and IBM? Is that timeline right? Only ever seen the film, and sadly only remember the plane and the (half) bloke on the jetty  :sick:

Yes, it is. IBM was around in the 1930s. A German subsidiary supplied data processing  machines that were used in the management of the Holocaust.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6634 on: 27 January, 2023, 02:17:02 am »
The company that changed its name to IBM in 1924 was originally founded in 1911 and according to FruitCo fanboiz stands for “I Bought Macintosh” or “It's Broken Mate”.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #6635 on: 27 January, 2023, 05:44:32 am »
Yes, it is. IBM was around in the 1930s. A German subsidiary supplied data processing  machines that were used in the management of the Holocaust.

The German subsidiary not only supplied machines to help manage the Holocaust, they helped with the supply system for most of the German military for as long as the Third Reich existed. Thomas Watson stayed in contact with the German subsidiary through Swiss intermediaries and through US diplomats stationed in Switzerland throughout WWII, and made sure that IBM collected royalties from the subsidiary (DeHoMaG, Deutsche Hollerith Maschinen Gesellschaft), with the money being funneled through Swiss banks.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #6636 on: 27 January, 2023, 07:41:52 am »
The company that changed its name to IBM in 1924 was originally founded in 1911 and according to FruitCo fanboiz stands for “I Bought Macintosh” or “It's Broken Mate”.

Or if you work there   "I've Been Moved"  - as in to another role/department

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6637 on: 27 January, 2023, 10:06:13 am »

Or if you work there   "I've Been Moved"  - as in to another role/department

Or if you were a client, "I'm Being Milked" or "I'm Being Mugged".
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #6638 on: 27 January, 2023, 10:44:29 am »
It’s Better Manually
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #6639 on: 27 January, 2023, 12:32:20 pm »
That according to Grose's Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue (1811) and the Canting Dictionary (1736) a "Ralph Spooner" is a fool. e.g.
"Papa told him not to be such a Ralph Spooner and stop going about with them, but when has my brother ever listened?"
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #6640 on: 27 January, 2023, 12:42:57 pm »
Donkeys years ago had occasion to be in the IBM (Big Blue) staff canteen in London one Lunchtime. It was amazing, with Cold platter, fish and steak counters all at subsidized rates. Probably long gone.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #6641 on: 27 January, 2023, 01:05:45 pm »
Today at 16:50 pm the Moon, Jupiter, Venus and Saturn all line up over the house opposite, 25% cloud cover forecast tho' but.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6642 on: 27 January, 2023, 01:34:09 pm »
That viscose is not an alternative to rayon but one of several types of rayon. Modal, tencel and lyocell are some others.
https://www.masterclass.com/articles/fabric-guide-what-is-viscose-understanding-viscose-fabric-and-how-viscose-is-made
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #6643 on: 27 January, 2023, 01:43:30 pm »
Today at 16:50 pm the Moon, Jupiter, Venus and Saturn all line up over the house opposite, 25% cloud cover forecast tho' but.

https://theoatmeal.com/comics/celestial_events applies. :demon: ;)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #6644 on: 27 January, 2023, 02:08:15 pm »
A few of you may remember a late 90s band called bellatrix who had a couple of hits, well I heard them being played probably on the evening session on the now defunct radio 1

I knew this but forgot but they were tipped for big things. Did a Co headline tour with Coldplay but then split up. Now I'm not a Coldplay hater but I'd have preferred if Bellatrix had continued

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #6645 on: 27 January, 2023, 02:30:45 pm »
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #6647 on: 27 January, 2023, 05:42:15 pm »
Bram Stoker was Irish.

And his mother was Charlotte Stoker. As a child she had lived through the 1832 cholera epidemic in Sligo. It had been sweeping through Europe so everyone was braced for it, and when it arrived Sligo was hit hard. It was believed rightly or wrongly that dead bodies could spread the disease, so they were disposed of as quickly as possible after death, or, in some cases, before death. There were tales of the body of a tall man, which was too long to fit in a coffin, having its legs broken, whereupon the body stated screaming with pain. And of a man who found his wife in a pile of bodies, pulled her out and took her home. She survived for many years. Charlotte's family fled to relatives some distance away and they were greeted by locals with pitchforks who forced them back. She wrote her reminiscences of the epidemic in later life. Worth reading if you can find it.

Anyway, Bram was a sickly child and spent much of his early boyhood bedridden, where his mother told him stories of her childhood, including the great cholera epidemic, and  people seemingly coming back from the dead.

Quote from: wiki
Of this time, Stoker wrote, "I was naturally thoughtful, and the leisure of long illness gave opportunity for many thoughts which were fruitful according to their kind in later years."

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_Stoker

I learned this a few weeks ago.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #6648 on: 27 January, 2023, 07:12:08 pm »
Thanks! By the time I went to look, I just got mars, the moon and Jupiter, between clouds and houses.

« Reply #6649 on: 27 January, 2023, 08:44:43 pm »
That moles build fortresses.