Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 864378 times)

Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #6950 on: 27 July, 2023, 09:09:01 pm »
They still appear to have the coloured stuff.  I thought they'd been discontinued long ago.

https://www.consortium.co.uk/snow-peak-titanium-single-wall-450-mug-purple-mg-043pr-us.html
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6951 on: 27 July, 2023, 10:13:58 pm »
Yes, I saw it in a local (Bristol) shop last summer. Along with Japanese skateboarding and DJ-ing magazines.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #6952 on: 27 July, 2023, 10:47:15 pm »
That Geneva has a Rue des Garages. And it's aptly, if depressingly, named:
https://goo.gl/maps/VbpDZt75VVWppH729

I assume that you know about Windscreens Road in Bristol...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6953 on: 27 July, 2023, 10:58:15 pm »
I'd forgotten about that actually. I'm pretty sure it's not a public road, but still, it has a name.

« Reply #6954 on: 28 July, 2023, 08:40:48 am »
Then there's Builder Street in Llandudno. (Home to the studio of Nick Elphick, who's sculpture of trauma surgeon "Martin" in Bill Bailey's Extraordinary Portraits as indeed extraordinary.

https://nickelphicksculpture.co.uk/extraordinary-portraits
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #6955 on: 28 July, 2023, 02:33:19 pm »
That chartreuse is the colour of tennis balls.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #6956 on: 28 July, 2023, 04:26:43 pm »
That chartreuse is the colour of tennis balls.

it's also the colour of a micro-bus according C W McCall

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6957 on: 28 July, 2023, 06:14:44 pm »
Chartreuse Yellow is also the colour of the least attractive hi-viz tops, the type given an unrepeatable name by certain of this parish  ;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #6958 on: 29 July, 2023, 09:17:19 am »
Our first car together was a chartreuse yellow MG Midget.  Beautiful

« Reply #6959 on: 29 July, 2023, 08:49:36 pm »
I was surprised to see that Gilbert who make rugby balls also make the balls for the Netball world cup.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #6960 on: 30 July, 2023, 03:26:29 pm »
Muc Off is good for removing starling poo from the roof of our bird table.

rogerzilla

« Reply #6961 on: 30 July, 2023, 04:51:06 pm »
The original Mr Boeing of aircraft fame was a massive, massive racist.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #6962 on: 30 July, 2023, 06:33:42 pm »

I re-skeeted [1] a perfect quote about this phenomenon the other day. Quoted below to save the Bluesky(net)-less.

"There's always at least a 30% chance of finding out that your favorite science fun fact is something first discovered by Dr. Otto Von Racism during an attempt to make children more flammable." - Jessica Conwell @pairofclaws.bsky.social

[1] - Explainer: Re-skeeted seems to be the brand new hip word for Bluesky's equivalent of the Twitter retweet or Mastodon boost, with 'Skeet' being to make a post...

« Reply #6963 on: 30 July, 2023, 06:48:01 pm »
Pitsea Tip (the largest landfill site in Britain) is open until 5pm on Sundays.

Bad weather happens when you are doing other stuff (not just cycling), and coincides with the worst part (for that weather) of other activities too, like the cloudburst when emptying the car, in the pre-booked slot at the tip.

"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6964 on: 30 July, 2023, 09:57:30 pm »

I re-skeeted [1] a perfect quote about this phenomenon the other day. Quoted below to save the Bluesky(net)-less.

"There's always at least a 30% chance of finding out that your favorite science fun fact is something first discovered by Dr. Otto Von Racism during an attempt to make children more flammable." - Jessica Conwell @pairofclaws.bsky.social

[1] - Explainer: Re-skeeted seems to be the brand new hip word for Bluesky's equivalent of the Twitter retweet or Mastodon boost, with 'Skeet' being to make a post...
Wouldn't "reposted" do as one word to cover all platforms? We can't, unfortunately, expect the various platforms to use already existing, normal English words, but we can do so ourselves. Please...

Also, your Bluesky link just goes to a sign-in page, which is pretty useless. Yes, I appreciate you've given use the quote in your post.

I shall now look up Mr Boeing myself!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6965 on: 30 July, 2023, 10:34:04 pm »
Instead of learning about Mr Boeing, I've learnt how little I know about things very nearby.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2023/jul/30/worth-the-wait-sunday-lunch-bank-tavern-bristol-pub-backlog
A pub in Bristol with a four-year waiting list?!!? Where's that? The Bank Tavern. Never heard of it. They don't mean the Greenbank, surely?
So I look it up. It's on John Street. No idea where that is, must be in some distant outer district. No! It's bang in the old town, barely a mile away. I've walked right past this pub many times and... I'm still not tempted to go there, even if I could get in. It's one of those historic corners which now feel like they're underground thanks to the shadow of the surrounding brutalist office towers (and to call them brutalism is high praise, they're more brutal without anything as considered as an -ism). But I'm sure the food is great.
https://goo.gl/maps/mY8W7xKWUvLf4Uiw9

Coincidentally it's very near the shop selling coloured Snow Peak titanium mugs a few posts above.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #6966 on: 31 July, 2023, 07:57:06 am »
Instead of learning about Mr Boeing, I've learnt how little I know about things very nearby.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2023/jul/30/worth-the-wait-sunday-lunch-bank-tavern-bristol-pub-backlog
A pub in Bristol with a four-year waiting list?!!? Where's that? The Bank Tavern. Never heard of it. They don't mean the Greenbank, surely?
So I look it up. It's on John Street. No idea where that is, must be in some distant outer district. No! It's bang in the old town, barely a mile away. I've walked right past this pub many times and... I'm still not tempted to go there, even if I could get in. It's one of those historic corners which now feel like they're underground thanks to the shadow of the surrounding brutalist office towers (and to call them brutalism is high praise, they're more brutal without anything as considered as an -ism). But I'm sure the food is great.
https://goo.gl/maps/mY8W7xKWUvLf4Uiw9

Coincidentally it's very near the shop selling coloured Snow Peak titanium mugs a few posts above.

I saw the article about the pub and its lunch etc - immediate reaction is that they have a resourceful PR agency working for them  :demon:. . . and reading between the lines further it looks like it's just Sunday lunch that's popular.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6967 on: 31 July, 2023, 09:47:02 am »
Yes, it's not the sort of place that would normally get a whole article in a national paper.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6968 on: 31 July, 2023, 12:19:23 pm »
Also, your Bluesky link just goes to a sign-in page, which is pretty useless.

Not if you're logged in, it seems.  So while it's no worse than what Facebook users have been doing with impunity for the last decade or so, it does seem a bit shit if you can't use Bluesky for public announcements they way you could with Twitter until recently.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6969 on: 31 July, 2023, 12:25:19 pm »
It would seem that Bluesky, which I hadn't even heard of till yesterday, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc, and so on, are multiple exclusive walled gardens. I do wonder if some of them are also like exclusive nightclubs, which have long queues but if you get in, turn out to be nearly empty.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6970 on: 31 July, 2023, 01:10:21 pm »
It would seem that Bluesky, which I hadn't even heard of till yesterday, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc, and so on, are multiple exclusive walled gardens. I do wonder if some of them are also like exclusive nightclubs, which have long queues but if you get in, turn out to be nearly empty.

That's my current experience of Bluesky, though barakta reckons it's gaining a bit more traction amongst the people who really wanted Twitter without Elon Musk.  I only really signed up to bag the username, as I'm finding the Mastodon experience generally acceptable for nonspecific pissing-about-on-the-internet purposes (with the obvious disclaimer that I'm a white queer person who knows more than two programming languages, likes cats and doesn't object to artistic photos of moss).

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6971 on: 31 July, 2023, 01:21:12 pm »

That's my current experience of Bluesky, though barakta reckons it's gaining a bit more traction amongst the people who really wanted Twitter without Elon Musk.  I only really signed up to bag the username, as I'm finding the Mastodon experience generally acceptable for nonspecific pissing-about-on-the-internet purposes (with the obvious disclaimer that I'm a white queer person who knows more than two programming languages, likes cats and doesn't object to artistic photos of moss).
Well that gives you the whole dancefloor to strut your funky stuff.
https://youtu.be/LUID0jSh2Ic

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #6972 on: 31 July, 2023, 05:16:42 pm »
Not on Bluesky cos I don't have an invite. Not finding much traffic on Mastodon. Finding twitter just repeats the same tweets ad nauseum these days. Meh.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

rogerzilla

« Reply #6973 on: 01 August, 2023, 09:55:12 am »
My house doesn't meet the UK Decent Homes Standard.

Vernon

• zzzZZZzzz
« Reply #6974 on: 01 August, 2023, 10:38:53 am »
Does it meet the indecent homes standard (sex pond, pampas grass, etc)?